Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 01 Z06 owners...burning oil question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Just looked checked the date for the 1st time in 3 years of ownership.
08/00
That makes it a pretty early Zo6 now with 68k miles. Since he engine is apart for polishing, I've seen the effects of carbon buildup on pistons and the extremly hard baked carbon on the backs of the exhaust valves.

I've recently added an oil catchcan.

The carbon was scraped off the piston tops with a razor,WD40, and 3M scuffs. I'll post pics when the work has started on heads/valves.

Driving hard would require adding 2.5 quarts per 5,000 miles.

I still wouldn't trade this one for another, it's still been a terrific ownership experience.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just the facts, dispell the misinformation..........

Originally Posted by fej
Diesel nice post man, probably posted many times elsewhere under these types of threads, but the first time I have read it.

My 01 did not have blowby issues, pretty sure it is a May 01 car, I am the second owner. 64k miles on it now, 0-62k were DD miles, last couple thousand have been track or Autox miles mainly.

Thanks
Fej
Fej; I have been posting these facts for close to two (2) years . After having read all the misinformation, hearsay, internet exaggeration , I took it upon myself to research the history.

The Gen 3 engines are reliable and make hp no doubt about it. But by modifying the PCV system i.e. crankcase oil baffle relocation on the LS1, adding an affective oil catch can(s) are easy ways to reduce the amount of oil blow by that passes thru the cylinders.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 01 Z06 owners...burning oil question?