Sponsored by:

Window Scratch Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Rifeman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Scratch Repair

I have two, nearly identical, scratches on my driver's and passenger side windows. The scratches run vertically and they extend nearly for the entire height of the windows. I thought that I might have some pebbles trapped indside the bottom liner, but my roommate told me that the pads that guide the windows when they are moved up and down sometimes wear out and cause metal to come in direct contact with the windows. The scratches aren't that deep, so I was wondering if there was any repair kit/compound that can remove scrathes from glass and also if there is any way to prevent future scrathing from happening.
Thanks,
Chad
Old 03-10-2007, 03:11 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The antirattle pads can loosen and turn slightly or the felt can wear off and scratch the glass, as can sand, small rock, etc., trapped in the seal. Assuming the scratch is on the outside, lower window all the way. Use a flat popsicle type stick to push the outer seal back and, with a flashlight, check the area just below the seal, and in the area of the scratch, to see if a rivet holding the seal to the door is protruding. I had that problem on another vehicle. Used a small flatblade screwdriver to push the rivet back in. That is only a temp fix. Have to remove the door panel to do a permanent fix i.e., replace the rivet. At any rate, you need to find out what's causing it before you try any glass remedies.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 AM
0JPM@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Location: The AutoBuffs Army is unmatched in the Custom world! www.autobuffs.net
S. Jersey Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Old 03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
korte
Pro

How do you get the scratches out? I have several scratches on my driver's side windshield (none on the passenger side for some reason). They're not deep, you can really only see them in certain light angles.

Whats the best way to get these scratches out?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:14 AM
NetBob928
Melting Slicks

For what its worth: A number of years ago someone scratched the window on a new truck I had just gotten so I tried to find a way to fix rather than replace the window.

The only solution was fine jeweler’s rouge and buffing wheel on grinder. They were deep scratches and it got them out but the buffed spot was visible when the window was wet or fogged up. Other than that it worked acceptably.

I just got the buffing wheel spinning and put the stick of rouge to the wheel then put the wheel to the window. Repeated until satisfied the scratch was out.

Last edited by NetBob928; 03-10-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:39 AM
drar15
Advanced

You can get the polish in a kit from Ecklers, or Eastwood.They wont come out with this if you can get your fingernail in the scratch.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Rifeman
Advanced

Originally Posted by drar15
You can get the polish in a kit from Ecklers, or Eastwood.They wont come out with this if you can get your fingernail in the scratch.
If I move my fingernail back and forth over the scratch, I can feel that it is there, but my nail doesn't go into the scratch. Is this too much of a problem to be buffed out?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...have you asked a local glass shop for recommendations?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 PM
drar15
Advanced

If your nail does not get caught in it ,it should polish out.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:23 PM
korte
Pro

Originally Posted by Rifeman
If I move my fingernail back and forth over the scratch, I can feel that it is there, but my nail doesn't go into the scratch. Is this too much of a problem to be buffed out?
Same here. I wonder what caused these?? I have no idea, I don't even remember if they were on the car when I bought it. Maybe I scratched it by accident. Anyways, I'm gonna try to find an automotive glass shop and see what they say.

Oh, and the windshield also has some white paint overspray on it (as does the hood). Again, only really shows up at certain light angles. I'm thinking a razor blade would take it off, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Rifeman
Advanced

I took off the door trim panel on my passenger side door so I could get a better look into the area where the window sits. I looked along the area where scratches are on the window, and it is obvious that the only area the window touches when it is rolled up and down is the outer and inner weather strips. I think the scratches began to form right at the time I was moving to Texas. I drove in stormy weather for a couple of days. Is it possible that bits of sand and pebble lodged into these weather strips and scratched the glass? There are no scratches on the inside of the windows, and the felt on the inner weather strip still feels good. The outer strip, however, has begun to harden quite a bit. Do I need to replace these, or just make sure they remain clean?

Get notified of new replies

To Window Scratch Repair

Quick Reply: Window Scratch Repair