How To Remove Blackwing Air Filter for Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:19 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default How To Remove Blackwing Air Filter for Cleaning

Anyone have no-brainer instructions (pix would help) on how to remove my Blackwing air filter so I can clean it?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here are some instructions, there are no pics though.
Blackwing Instructions
Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It's attached to the horizontal front bumper metal cross member with the same type rubber grommets that holds the oem air bridge to the radiator core cover. They're tough to R&R when they're dry.
The easiest manner (IMO) is to remove the small plastic clip from the MAF sensor, then remove the male harness plug from the MAF. Next remove the oem accordion bellows from the throttle body by loosening the clamp.
Give the BLACKWING a little wiggle at the extreme front of the filter where it attaches to the cross member. Look down between the bumper and opened hood and you should be able to see where the filter is attached and reach down to work the filter loose. Sometimes a long flat blade screw driver can be used for leverage, but be careful not to break the plastic mounting portion of the filter. Then remove the entire assembly from the engine compartment.
Remove the filter for cleaning (be careful of the MAF sensor wires) with the BLACKWING filter cleaning agent or SIMPLE GREEN. Make sure it's completely dry of any moisture before oiling. Oil minimally and allow the filter to sit overnight. This allows the BLACKWING filter oil (don't use K&N on the blue synthetic media) to wick thoroughly. Replace the filter on the end of the MAF and leave the clamp just snug for final adjustments. Add a little of your favorite lube to all four rubber grommets and reinstall...install the filter grommets first, then collapse the oem accordion bellows enough to reinstall over the throttle body. Tighten the throttle body clamp snugly. Reinstall the harness. Tighten the clamp snugly at the BLACKWING after making sure everything is seated and aligned.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Here are some installation instructions with pictures. This might help too: http://www.97vette.com/howto/blackwing/index.html
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No K&N Oil?

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
It's attached to the horizontal front bumper metal cross member with the same type rubber grommets that holds the oem air bridge to the radiator core cover. They're tough to R&R when they're dry.
The easiest manner (IMO) is to remove the small plastic clip from the MAF sensor, then remove the male harness plug from the MAF. Next remove the oem accordion bellows from the throttle body by loosening the clamp.
Give the BLACKWING a little wiggle at the extreme front of the filter where it attaches to the cross member. Look down between the bumper and opened hood and you should be able to see where the filter is attached and reach down to work the filter loose. Sometimes a long flat blade screw driver can be used for leverage, but be careful not to break the plastic mounting portion of the filter. Then remove the entire assembly from the engine compartment.
Remove the filter for cleaning (be careful of the MAF sensor wires) with the BLACKWING filter cleaning agent or SIMPLE GREEN. Make sure it's completely dry of any moisture before oiling. Oil minimally and allow the filter to sit overnight. This allows the BLACKWING filter oil (don't use K&N on the blue synthetic media) to wick thoroughly. Replace the filter on the end of the MAF and leave the clamp just snug for final adjustments. Add a little of your favorite lube to all four rubber grommets and reinstall...install the filter grommets first, then collapse the oem accordion bellows enough to reinstall over the throttle body. Tighten the throttle body clamp snugly. Reinstall the harness. Tighten the clamp snugly at the BLACKWING after making sure everything is seated and aligned.
Heck that is what West Coast Corvettes sold me to clean and re-do my Blackwing! Should I remove it and re-do it with the Genuine Blackwing Oil?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Heck that is what West Coast Corvettes sold me to clean and re-do my Blackwing! Should I remove it and re-do it with the Genuine Blackwing Oil?
I've heard that the K&N stuff is not the best to use on the Blackwing filter media. If it were mine, I'd redo the oiling.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Burning Brakes

Default Blackwing cleaning?

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I've heard that the K&N stuff is not the best to use on the Blackwing filter media. If it were mine, I'd redo the oiling.
Thanks for the response, will do, over and out!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:06 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where is the best place to get the blackwing oil?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Burning Brakes

Default Just ordrered cleaning kit

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Thanks CF members! I just ordered the SLP cleaning and re-oiling kit from SLP directly and no thanks to those shills at West Coast Corvettes! I had to buy two kits to meet the SLP minimum order of $25.00 as the kit is $17.95 each. I imagine that someone will now send me packing to another website where I can buy them cheaper, whatever, my C-5 is worth buying two kits. :o I am taking the K&N kit back to try and get my money back!

www.slponline.com

Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beav626
where is the best place to get the blackwing oil?
Want me to send you the extra kit I bought?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:07 PM
acat1234
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Donaldson blacking filter oil

My 2001 C5 less than 40,000 miles on it. I installed a Donaldson blacking air filter at 5,000 miles. I bought cleaning kit at the same time but have never used it due to low miles. I think it is time to clean so I took the spray can of oil and did a few test squirts. It does not spray as fine a mist as other's liquids, suck as WD40. I realize the oil is thicker but wanted to check with someone who has used it. Also how do you keep from over oiling?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by hotwheels57

Get notified of new replies

To How To Remove Blackwing Air Filter for Cleaning

Quick Reply: How To Remove Blackwing Air Filter for Cleaning