Sponsored by:

Rear Shock SQUEAK !

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pvknight
A rattle is most likely from the swaybars; aftermarket sways are notorious for noise. New and tight endlinks might help!

Mine is a suspension squeak that developed 10k mi after an otherwise good shock install.

mannn i hate elusive noises
I had the same problem and had the shocks and sway bar replaced and fixed the problem
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 AM
sigma6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took the mounting plate and stock bushing out, there was some wiggle room. Still, the bushing looked like it was doing the job. I just cleaned, greased, retightened and installed and there was no change in the sound.
Right, it's doing it's job by helping absorb shock, but it has wiggle room which is what's potentially causing the squeak rubbing back and forth instead of up and down. I highly recommend not using the oem rubber bushings, can bilstein supply you w/ theirs? It's much more thick and when you mount it you'll see it's so firm and snug that it has no wiggle room at all.

In regards to the other sound, it could be anything but my instincts tell me that if it happened immediately after you mod'd your shocks, I would look there first.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM
pvknight
Instructor

Took the car into my trusted alignment/suspension shop today, Pacific Tire Motorsports in Redondo Beach, CA.

Found that the rear driver's Bilstein Sport had cut through the stock rubber bushing and was causing metal/metal contact, which was the loud noise that I was hearing. So much for using stock parts. The mechanic reinstalled the shock using the Bilstein metal washers and rubber bushings and both the clanging and the quieter squeek/crunch noise is gone. Changed the rear endlinks to metal as well.

Car's perfect again!... and LAPD was suggesting that these "sports cars" are just noisy.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM
sigma6
Racer

Car's perfect again!... and LAPD was suggesting that these "sports cars" are just noisy.

Thanks for all the help.
Glad to hear (mainly thanks to Mchaskell & Uncle John)! Didn't know you were in South Bay, I would've offered to come over and help you since I'm right up your alley (Hermosa). Hope to see you around.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM
jaxmandueagain
8th Gear

Default Shock fixes nasty squeak

I have had a bad squeak in the rear of my 98 convertible. It was heard when driving but couldn't bounce the car enough to recreate on the rack. The sound was back right and occurred loudest in left hand access ramps where weight was pushed to the right side. I first found the sway bar end links worn so I replaced them which fixed the problem briefly - but was false success just caused by having the car jacked up. When the suspension settled it was back. I read this link and this weekend I cranked down the nut on top of the replacement bilstein shocks. The problem is solved.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone!

Quick Reply: Rear Shock SQUEAK !