Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Notch second gear with HURST shifter getting old what's good replacment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Notch second gear with HURST shifter getting old what's good replacment?

Title says it all. My hurst short throw shifter is decent but pretty notchy going into 2nd gear many times which can get old. What is the best replacement short throw shifter for my 02 Z06 that will solve this problem?

How about the C6 Z06 shifter, will that take care of my issues?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:15 AM
MarkT 2002
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You bet; I love my C6Z06 shifter

Of all the mods I've done to my car, cam, headers, CAI, etc... if I had to choose just one mod it would be the C6Z06 shifter.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:52 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Title says it all. My hurst short throw shifter is decent but pretty notchy going into 2nd gear many times which can get old. What is the best replacement short throw shifter for my 02 Z06 that will solve this problem?

Instead of replacing the shifter, I would consider doing the antivenom mod which is supposed to eliminate the notchiness.

Hammer
Old 05-19-2007, 07:16 AM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

When my Hurst seemed like it was "notchy", I took the boot off, and realigned everything, meaning loosening the shifter box bolts and rod locking bolt, and using the centering pin to realign it all. It was off a bit, don't know how cause it was tight, but the shifter worked alot smoother afterwards.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:34 AM
EV2DEMON
Instructor

Same here. My Hurst was notchy and hard to get into first at times. I took the boot off, loosened the mounting bolts and carefully aligned and centered the shifter before tightening it back down. Now it's waaaayyyyy smother and I have no problems with first gear.

I'd try adjusting it before replacing the shifter.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:31 AM
bandz7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the hurst, changed to the c6z06 shifter and the antivenom mod and never looked back.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 AM
BoostedBlkZ06
Melting Slicks

i has the hurst adn went to kirban and feels SO much better and still a very short throw...
Old 05-19-2007, 02:04 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I got the C6Z shifter, and love it, but you might try the alignment procedure first. The A-V mod did nothing for me, but when I installed the new C6 shifter, I took care to align the attachment to the cable, and the result is WAY smoother than my old BPP. However, the actual throws are longer than an aftermarket unit. Well worth the trade-off for me, but may not be for others.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Jim M
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

It might. I just switched out a B&M sport shifter for a 2007 Z06 shifter in my 04 Z06. It works much better on a road course where you're downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. That's what I was looking for, smoother and less notchy downshifts. I also like the shorter shifter length, looks, and feel of the C6 shift **** as compared to the stock C5 Z06 shifter. Drag racing, or normal driving, the B&M was great, but for HPDEs, I think the Z06 shifter is much better. The throws are a little longer, but much smoother. Depends on what you want to do with the car. Just my $.02.

Jim M
Old 05-19-2007, 09:32 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

I am selling my MTI 6 shooter, which is inbetween a stock shifter and a hurst (which is what i had prior to installing the MTI)
Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by EV2DEMON
Same here. My Hurst was notchy and hard to get into first at times. I took the boot off, loosened the mounting bolts and carefully aligned and centered the shifter before tightening it back down. Now it's waaaayyyyy smother and I have no problems with first gear.

I'd try adjusting it before replacing the shifter.

Sounds like a game plan gentleman thank you!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

FWIW, it's probably a combination of things causing the notchiness. I have a 99 FRC. We switched to a hurst shifter which was a big improvement over stock but was still difficult to shift. Then we did the anti-venom mod. HUGE improvement!! There is a detente bolt (bolt has a spring loaded ball at the end of it) in the middle of the transmission on the passenger side. What you need to do is go to parts store and by oil pan bolt size washers ( we used 2) and some silicone to prevent leakage. Unscrew bolt, put on washers with silicone and tigthen bolt. Your shifter will now be much easier to use because you have reduced pressure of spring. Should not take more than 20 minutes or so to do.

The hurst shifter I have has 2 sets of springs. I used the stronger springs, going to try the lighter springs and see where that gets me.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:35 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MTI 6-shooter + Anti-venom = a whole new shifting experience...
Old 05-25-2007, 03:08 PM
el240z
Advanced

hey guys, would it be worth it to do the anti-venom mod with a C6 shifter, or not since the C6 Z06 shifter is closer to stock.

Just wondering because my C6 shifter should be coming in a few days.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Do it!! I promise you'll thank me.

Here is a thread with more info.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1464382
Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by el240z
hey guys, would it be worth it to do the anti-venom mod with a C6 shifter, or not since the C6 Z06 shifter is closer to stock.

Just wondering because my C6 shifter should be coming in a few days.
I say no way for the C6 shifter, it's the same throw as the stock C5 Z06 shifter with a shorter and slightly angled shaft. Unless you install a shifter with a substantially shorter throw (B&M, MTI, Hurst, etc) than stock there is no need for the anti-venom mod...

the best analogy for stock shifter with anti-venom that I have heard so far is that it feels like shifting 72 VW bus with no shift gates...

and here is a good thread that details both anti-venom and shifter adjustment: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=anti-venom

Last edited by jbauch357; 05-25-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Sounds like a game plan gentleman thank you!
Meet me in the middle some place, I drive your FI Z, you drive my HC Z, first round on me, then we try and rember what the problem was

Seriously brother, I bet it is a we bit off center maybe??? I try the no thumb on the 1-2 and it is notchy to me. I wrap my thumb and I nail it

Take car man, and I am trying to be like you and break my HPDE cherry (next month looks like a positive maybe )
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Notch second gear with HURST shifter getting old what's good replacment?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 PM
el240z
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbauch357
I say no way for the C6 shifter, it's the same throw as the stock C5 Z06 shifter with a shorter and slightly angled shaft. Unless you install a shifter with a substantially shorter throw (B&M, MTI, Hurst, etc) than stock there is no need for the anti-venom mod...

the best analogy for stock shifter with anti-venom that I have heard so far is that it feels like shifting 72 VW bus with no shift gates...

and here is a good thread that details both anti-venom and shifter adjustment: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=anti-venom

Thanks for the quick answer jbauch, I was thinking the same thing, and won't do the anti-venom mod with the new shifter upgrade .
Old 05-26-2007, 03:53 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbauch357
All the anti-venom mod did for me was make my MTI rattle worse than before... Gonna junk my MTI...
Old 05-27-2007, 03:08 AM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RFJohnston
All the anti-venom mod did for me was make my MTI rattle worse than before... Gonna junk my MTI...
you may want to do a search and refresh the old thread, or start a new one. but somebody doing engineering for MTI started a rumor that they were coming out with a new design of the shifter and were going to be replacing the rattler. we never got good details on the swap, or if it actually was going to happen.... I am pretty interested if it does happen cause mine is a rattler too...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Notch second gear with HURST shifter getting old what's good replacment?