Sponsored by:

Taking apart iforged wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
cbruer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking apart iforged wheels

I have iforged 3 piece high polished wheels on a vette I just purchased.

They need a good cleaning and I am considering powder coating the center section.

Has anyone taken apart these wheels to do this?

Called iforged and they don't seem too keen on it. I can't see what the problem would be.

I would appreciate some suggestions.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I asked the same questions and got the same answers. I only found 1 place that was willing to take them apart and re-seal them and it wasnt cheap to have it done.

Iforged customer service is pretty much worthless once you own their wheels.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by cbruer
I have iforged 3 piece high polished wheels on a vette I just purchased.

They need a good cleaning and I am considering powder coating the center section.

Has anyone taken apart these wheels to do this?

Called iforged and they don't seem too keen on it. I can't see what the problem would be.

I would appreciate some suggestions.
Check with your powder coater with regard to masking areas you don't want painted. There may be a method now that will withstand the heat.
I would not recommend taking the wheels apart. You could wind up with some runout/warpage issues if you don't have the ability to re-torque fasteners very precisely and do it in a very particular pattern as well; not to mention any air leak issues when re-sealing.
HTH
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
cbruer
Instructor

I guess I don't understand what would have to be resealed.

The valve stem runs through to the inner piece and would not be affected. It looks to me as the center spoke section would just come out if the bolts are taken out. That is all that would be getting powder coated.

Torq could be an issue but I would think with care it could be done.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Twospeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on which brand of 3 pc wheel you have. I have CCW 3pc street wheels on mine and yes thay can be taken apart. Re sealing them is not a problem. After you take them apart if any of the parts were replaced then that wheel needs to be re balanced. I personally think that the CCW 3 pc wheels are great! If you ding or scrape a wheel you can replace the outer rim portion and be back to new again. Try that one with a 1 pc wheel!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:23 PM
ccdan
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not that hard to do but having the correct tools helps alot. I made some wheel repair video's for our customers that bent an inner, outer, etc. and wanted to fix them at the house/shop. Should help you in weither you want to tackle it yourself or not; http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php

When they paint/powder coat the centers make sure the center bore, pad, and mating surface to the wheel shells on the wheel centers are masked to insure 100& fitment.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ccdan
It's not that hard to do but having the correct tools helps alot. I made some wheel repair video's for our customers that bent an inner, outer, etc. and wanted to fix them at the house/shop. Should help you in weither you want to tackle it yourself or not; http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php

When they paint/powder coat the centers make sure the center bore, pad, and mating surface to the wheel shells on the wheel centers are masked to insure 100& fitment.
Sweet videos Dan! I'm sure that will help many guys .

BTW, my son graduated from Embry-Riddle. I was in Daytona several times during those years to see him and had no idea you guys are there.

Robert
Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

excellent videos, but do you think that the same holds true for Iforged wheels which im told uses the HRE lips and barrel?

the bolt head is more of a star shape than the ccw classics.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 103 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

It's not that hard to do but having the correct tools helps alot. I made some wheel repair video's for our customers that bent an inner, outer, etc. and wanted to fix them at the house/shop.
Excellent! And thank you for sharing a how-to video for all 3 piece wheel owners!!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Sounds like you are not aware of one very important fact. Iforged 3 piece wheels have a silicone seal...that is what prevents air from leaking out of the 3 pieces once mounted. Look closely at one of their wheels with the tire removed...you will see the silicone bead. Simply mechanically fastening the the two halves together is not enough to 100% prevent air leakage.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Sounds like you are not aware of one very important fact. Iforged 3 piece wheels have a silicone seal...that is what prevents air from leaking out of the 3 pieces once mounted. Look closely at one of their wheels with the tire removed...you will see the silicone bead. Simply mechanically fastening the the two halves together is not enough to 100% prevent air leakage.

in the videos, dan uses silicone to seal the wheel.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 AM
jittrbugg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Our wheels use a silicone seal also. Once it is dry however you can remove the center without breaking the seal on the wheel. Just make sure the tire is removed or all the air is out of the tire before removing the center.

Melissa
CCW
Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Originally Posted by jittrbugg
Our wheels use a silicone seal also. Once it is dry however you can remove the center without breaking the seal on the wheel. Just make sure the tire is removed or all the air is out of the tire before removing the center.

Melissa
CCW

I have taken my CCW classics apart few times !
Old 08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by MIKE-C5

I have taken my CCW classics apart few times !
Me too ... Bought the CCW classic and the previous owner managed to bend the outer lips just 1 day before picking them up so we gotta replace the outer lips ... and they got leaked so have to take them apart again
The hardest part to clean up the old silicone.

-Mike
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mike76002
Me too ... Bought the CCW classic and the previous owner managed to bend the outer lips just 1 day before picking them up so we gotta replace the outer lips ... and they got leaked so have to take them apart again
The hardest part to clean up the old silicone.

-Mike
Looks like I recognized the cleaning attachment he was using in the video as being available from Eastwood. Probably other places too.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 AM
ccdan
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys! Sorry was out sick yesturday; doctors...blah! Anyways, these video's should work for any 3pc wheel. I know there may be a few steps that would be different as I've seen some BBS and Fikse wheels that have the studs build into the center so of course they don't have bolts. Things like that. As far as the star shaped bolts; it will be exactly the same. On our track version wheels we use a standard grade 8 nut but on the street version the ARP stainless bolts have the start pattern and both get torqued at the same rate.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking apart iforged wheels