C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire gurus - sizing ?, then performance opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:01 AM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire gurus - sizing ?, then performance opinions

1) When I bought my Z06, it had the BBS LM C-5 system wheels on it. I am 90%+ sure the sizes are 18x10 and 17x9, exactly .5" narrower front and rear than my stock Z06 wheels.

The BBS had 245/45 on the front 17x9 wheels and 275/40 on the 18x10 rears.

The tires are old, probably since 2001 and really don't stick that well in a straight line (the are BFG gForce T/A KD).

I want to buy new tires and am wondering of STOCK Z06 tires will fit well on my 18x10 and 17x9 wheels. Stock Z tires, if I am not mistaken are 295/35 and 265/40?

2) And, any thoughts about tires. The car sees most of it's time on the street and will see occasional drag strip time. I don't want DR's, but I want good street manner (all dry conditions) and straight line hook up.

3) My OE F1 Supercar tires only have about 50 miles on them so from a treadwear perspective, they are essentially new. However, the car is an '02, so they are 5+ years old. They've been stored in a climate controlled facility, would these serve my purpose?

Last edited by LT-4 CE; 09-03-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,424 Likes on 619 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by LT-4 CE
1) I want to buy new tires and am wondering of STOCK Z06 tires will fit well on my 18x10 and 17x9 wheels. Stock Z tires, if I am not mistaken are 295/35 and 265/40?
They WILL

2) And, any thoughts about tires. The car sees most of it's time on the street and will see occasional drag strip time. I don't want DR's, but I want good street manner (all dry conditions) and straight line hook up.
Those BFG KD's are very nice sticky tires. Goodyear GS-D3's are another great all around tire. I have a set of both of the above mentioned and like them both very much.

3) My OE F1 Supercar tires only have about 50 miles on them so from a treadwear perspective, they are essentially new. However, the car is an '02, so they are 5+ years old. They've been stored in a climate controlled facility, would these serve my purpose?
They would be fine and are a great tire. Not so great in the rain, but every other situation, they are nice tires. Very good on the dry road.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all of the above.....

The only thing I will add is that somewhere on this site I remember a discussion on the age factor of tires. I believe the rule-of-thumb is to replace tires at 7 years regardless of tread.......

With that in mind those F1 supercars should last until at least '09
Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 AM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

Thanks guys!!!

How are the OE Z06 tires, the F1 Supercar tires, comparing to other options at the drag strip? I know they won't be like a DR. The BFG's I have don't seem to like launching, but they corner well.

I'd love to get out of this with by putting the stock tires back on since they are essentially new other than age.

If I read correctly, the stock Z06 tires would be fine on a wheel that is .5" narrower?

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,424 Likes on 619 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Thanks guys!!!

How are the OE Z06 tires, the F1 Supercar tires, comparing to other options at the drag strip? I know they won't be like a DR. The BFG's I have don't seem to like launching, but they corner well.

I'd love to get out of this with by putting the stock tires back on since they are essentially new other than age.

If I read correctly, the stock Z06 tires would be fine on a wheel that is .5" narrower?

Thanks again,

Chris
Now that you are talking drag strip, THAT is one place the OEM Supercar tires are NOT so great, but that's because they are designed more for running the roda and tread wear. If you look at the OEM Supercar tire's tread design, it's like 2 tires glue together, a nice outside half that is designed for cornering with the inseide hald designed for water despersion. They really are a good tire (I've gone through a set) BUT really are NOT good at the drag strip. That is their one downside.

I would think the BFG KD's wold be pretty good at everything, drag, and road racing. I have a dset but use them roda racing and have not used them at a drag strip (yet)

Nitto's are another choice for you. I have never used them so can not comment but have heard many good things about them...

Check out the Nitto NT555R & the Nitto NT555R II

These may be a little on the extreme side for you, but worth a look...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Ugh. I have $1500 worth of essentially new tires that I could install (The OE F1s). IT doesn't sound like the performance for drag strip trips would be any better than my used BFG's.

Back into research mode.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire gurus - sizing ?, then performance opinions

Quick Reply: Tire gurus - sizing ?, then performance opinions