My car depresses me at times!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default My car depresses me at times!

I looked down yesterday at my console and noticed my knee has in 10K miles worn through the painted on finish. Why would there be a painted on finish in the first place? Why not just mold all the consoles in the correct color to start with? Every C-5 Corvette has a satin black console! Where does this GM quality S**T end? I've NEVER owned a car where this has happened, even my '79 Ford Fiesta's interior (which I paid $3900. brand new) held up without issue for 100K miles. I love driving the car, but I keep getting the feeling I've been cheated out of my hard earned money over the quality. Sorry about the rant, but I just needed to vent!

John
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 AM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black 'n Tan
I looked down yesterday at my console and noticed my knee has in 10K miles worn through the painted on finish. Why would there be a painted on finish in the first place? Why not just mold all the consoles in the correct color to start with? Every C-5 Corvette has a satin black console! Where does this GM quality S**T end? I've NEVER owned a car where this has happened, even my '79 Ford Fiesta's interior (which I paid $3900. brand new) held up without issue for 100K miles. I love driving the car, but I keep getting the feeling I've been cheated out of my hard earned money over the quality. Sorry about the rant, but I just needed to vent!

John
John...I envy a life where something so trivial might be the
biggest problem you have...So to ease your mind, I'll take that POS off
your hands for...uh...$20K...Deal???
Old 11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Old 11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by georgec114
John...I envy a life where something so trivial might be the
biggest problem you have...So to ease your mind, I'll take that POS off
your hands for...uh...$20K...Deal???
Fully agree!!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Nightshifter
Instructor

John
New GM Console, 123.00 ! I bought one, looks real nice now after the 303 Shift boot from Vette essentials. Console looks all restored and new with new shift boot and all. Next, i wanna do the seats. Red & Black Leather !
Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

John
Common problem. Contact TKO and get them hyro-covered in carbon fiber and you'll never have that problem again.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
GOZ2FST
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happened to me too.

I decided not to worry about it - it doesn't seem to have any effect on performance....

I worry more about what's happening to my once-studly physique.....
Old 11-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John
Mine doesn't have a black console.

I'm curious what's under the painted finish?

SEM Satin Black paint is about $12 a can.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

My center console has the rubberized top layer peeling in a couple small spots. I don't mind as long as she will hit redline everyday without spinning a bearing!!! (read VR4 here). I like my cars to be tough mechanically.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Go CF and jazz it up a little.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

That is sweet Cozmo.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

My point is, a car that cost $53K new SHOULDN'T HAVE THESE ISSUES.
I like the modifications Y'all have done, but I didn't intend to BUY A HOBBY, shooting 1911 pistols in competition and reloading, is my hobby. I don't mind doing a mod here or there for performance, I just can't stomach having to do restoration work to a three year old car! And, I can see already, my seats are next. Many of you drive your cars only 2500-3000 miles per year, I have put 13K miles on already in 11 months, but I'm watching the car deteriorate rapidly in front of my eyes. The salesman told me the quality of the C-6 is VASTLY IMPROVED, somehow I don't think I believe him. And don't worry, I won't sell the car for $20k, I'm sure I could get what I paid plus. Fortunately, there seems to be a cult following of buyers, kinda like Harley Davidson in the early days who will pay plenty to own one, despite the issues. I'll move on and fix the DAMN thing AGAIN!

FORD.....Fix Or Repair Daily, not in my house, there is another car that takes that honor.

John
Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My point is, a car that cost $53K new SHOULDN'T HAVE THESE ISSUES.
I like the modifications Y'all have done, but I didn't intend to BUY A HOBBY, ...Many of you drive your cars only 2500-3000 miles per year, I have put 13K miles on already in 11 months, but I'm watching the car deteriorate rapidly in front of my eyes. The salesman told me the quality of the C-6 is VASTLY IMPROVED, somehow I don't think I believe him. And don't worry, I won't sell the car for $20k, I'm sure I could get what I paid plus. Fortunately, there seems to be a cult following of buyers, kinda like Harley Davidson in the early days who will pay plenty to own one, despite the issues. I'll move on and fix the DAMN thing AGAIN!

FORD.....Fix Or Repair Daily, not in my house, there is another car that takes that honor.

John

If I remember correctly, these parts were painted to give a "richer" look than the "Tonka" plastic in most GM cars. I was concerned about this from Day-One with mine, but look at it this way...

During its production life, $50K new was NOTHING for the bang for the buck a C5 Corvette provided as a new sports car. Foreign vehicles of equal performance (Porsche, Ferrari, etc.) cost up to three times as much!

So.... find some rattle can fix (I think GM must have something out there) and cheer up.

Enjoy the ride too.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To My car depresses me at times!

Quick Reply: My car depresses me at times!