Sponsored by:

Sirius Radio and your C5

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Sirius Radio and your C5

I would like to know what Sirius radio and accessories you needed to hook it up. I have a '00 without a remote changer.

I also want another car kit for my Ford F-150; so I can move the head unit from truck to Vette. If you know anything and wish to share, it would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:23 PM
04tripleblkcoupe
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here ya go, I use a Sirius Starmate plug and play. I listen to it at work, unplug it, plug into 04 vette, then if I am on my 06 goldwing I plug it onto it, Have bought a car and home kit at first, then when I got my o4 vette I bought just a car kit.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Frozenfire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an XM subscriber using the Audiovox XM Commander, but our installations will probably be similar. My 2000 vert has the Bose premium package. Since the Bose doesn't have an external audio input I used the Commander's FM modulator unit in series with the car's FM antenna.

If you opt for this method you'll have to purchase two antenna adapters: a female GM to male Motorola cable (to adapt the car antenna to the input of the modulator) and a female Motorola to male GM cable to get you from the FM modulator into the car's radio. I bought these at my local Circuit City store in the car stereo department.

I mounted the satellite antenna by the A post on the passenger side. This may not work in the spring and summer because the RF path will be obscured by the trees (which in the US would be on the passenger side). If this becomes a problem I'll move the XM antenna to the driver's side.

Another tip- I would recommend that you mount the sat receiver chip holster under the dashboard where you can easily get to it. Mine's under the glove box. (The Sirius kit you use may not have this module.)

Lastly, I stole switchable 12 V from the unused accessory fuse (I forget the fuse #, but you can find it on the CF if you search for it.) This switched source works fine except it does not carry the Corvette's retained accessory power (RAP) feature. So if you grab 12 V from this point, the satelllite receiver will shut off with the key but your FM radio will remain on. When you turn the key on, there will be a little delay between when the FM radio comes on and the sat receiver boots up. This is something of an annoyance if you want to turn off the ignition and sit in the car and listen to the sat receiver. Without the RAP you'll have to turn the key to ACC.

I mounted the XM display right in front of the ash tray door. I didn't Velcro it down because I want to be able to open the door to get to my supply of quarters.

Hope this helps! The hardest part of my installation was calling the toll free number and finding someone who speaks English when I went to activate my account. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 205 Likes on 155 Posts

I use a Starmate Replay. Mounted where the ash tray used to be. Power comes from the Aux power plug by the fuse box in the passengers foot well. Antenna laying on the passenger side dash by the windshield post. I also bought a direct wire kit at Circuit City to eliminate the RF transmission to the radio. The unit was around $20-25. If you get this, and I recommend that you do, you will also need 2 adapters due to the different size coax that GM uses. The adapters were around $15 each. Do a search on Sirius, there have been lots of threads on this subjects.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron C!
I use a Starmate Replay. Mounted where the ash tray used to be. Power comes from the Aux power plug by the fuse box in the passengers foot well. Antenna laying on the passenger side dash by the windshield post. I also bought a direct wire kit at Circuit City to eliminate the RF transmission to the radio. The unit was around $20-25. If you get this, and I recommend that you do, you will also need 2 adapters due to the different size coax that GM uses. The adapters were around $15 each. Do a search on Sirius, there have been lots of threads on this subjects.
I would like to use the ashtray for the radio, but would also like to move the unit back to the truck. Wife bought the Stiletto 2 for me for Christmas, but I am not sure if i am going to keep it or return it. Not sure how I could mount it; not a lot of mounting bracket options.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

I bought the Starmate 4 and am very happy so far. I will hardwire into my truck first, then order the neccessary parts for the vette. So far, so good!

Does the vette radio have an input in the back? I have the single disc in dash, no changer; will the CD/AUX button work for as a line-in to hardwire the connector that you can buy for at TSS Radio for 69.99?

Last edited by Brian; 12-26-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 205 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian
I bought the Starmate 4 and am very happy so far. I will hardwire into my truck first, then order the neccessary parts for the vette. So far, so good!

Does the vette radio have an input in the back? I have the single disc in dash, no changer; will the CD/AUX button work for as a line-in to hardwire the connector that you can buy for at TSS Radio for 69.99?
This is what I bought for my car.

http://www.tss-radio.com/direct-adap...ay-p-4082.html

To install you will need to pull the radio bezel, take the radio out and connect the FM Direct Adapter (you will also need the FM Antenna Adapters). I just let the Adapter hang down behind the A/C controller and ran the cable out through the hole in the bezel. Once this is installed, just set a radio pushbutton to the frequency you have the Sirius unit set to and that will take care of the interface into your car's stereo. All other functions of the Sirius unit will be handled by unit itself. To mount the Sirius, I cut a piece of .03 thick aluminum the size of the Siruis unit, painted it flat black and used black RTV to attach it to the radio bezel where the ashtray was. I then used an industrial velcro to mount the unit so I can easily remove it to move to one of the other cars. PM me your email and I can send pictures of my install if you want them.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron C!
This is what I bought for my car.

http://www.tss-radio.com/direct-adap...ay-p-4082.html

To install you will need to pull the radio bezel, take the radio out and connect the FM Direct Adapter (you will also need the FM Antenna Adapters). I just let the Adapter hang down behind the A/C controller and ran the cable out through the hole in the bezel. Once this is installed, just set a radio pushbutton to the frequency you have the Sirius unit set to and that will take care of the interface into your car's stereo. All other functions of the Sirius unit will be handled by unit itself. To mount the Sirius, I cut a piece of .03 thick aluminum the size of the Siruis unit, painted it flat black and used black RTV to attach it to the radio bezel where the ashtray was. I then used an industrial velcro to mount the unit so I can easily remove it to move to one of the other cars. PM me your email and I can send pictures of my install if you want them.
PM sent.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:14 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts

I did it the easy way. I have an 04 coupe and had XM mounted in the center console. I found a Best Buy store here that had some experience with Corvettes. They let me hang around to watch the install. Total cost was around 70.00 for just the install but I'm very happy with it. Hope yours goes well.

Get notified of new replies

To Sirius Radio and your C5

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio and your C5