Sponsored by:

[Z06] Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment

So I was reading the service manuals for my '03 Z06 and read that my car has an adjustable pressure plate. Wow... never heard of that before.

The adjustment procedure looks pretty simple so I'm wondering if it should be part of a yearly maintenance routine? Does anyone else adjust their pressure plate from time to time? Seems to be very little discussion about this.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTH??

Link to this??
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Atok
So I was reading the service manuals for my '03 Z06 and read that my car has an adjustable pressure plate. Wow... never heard of that before.

The adjustment procedure looks pretty simple so I'm wondering if it should be part of a yearly maintenance routine? Does anyone else adjust their pressure plate from time to time? Seems to be very little discussion about this.

I was looking at the same thing in the service manual a while back ... seems to me it's a one time adjustment, as the system is "self adjusting" for wear.

I think the "clutch adjustment" in the service manual might give the required free play for the clutch pedal, as there is no specific adjustment called out for the clutch pedal free play.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I was looking at the same thing in the service manual a while back ... seems to me it's a one time adjustment, as the system is "self adjusting" for wear.

I think the "clutch adjustment" in the service manual might give the required free play for the clutch pedal, as there is no specific adjustment called out for the clutch pedal free play.
Yeah, I was wondering that. I wish I had my hands on an old pressure plate to see what the mechanics of it does. The text in the service manual doesn't really say WHEN to adjust it, only that it's adjustable and can be adjusted very simply.

Anyone have an old PP they can look at and see what this adjustment does?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's some sort of ratching mech. My Audi has this also. It keep the clutch releasing at the same point even thought the disk thins down over time.

In my Audi you have to apply pressure with say a press to move the little tabs that adjust for a new thicker disk.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Atok
The text in the service manual doesn't really say WHEN to adjust it, only that it's adjustable and can be adjusted very simply.
I'd say it is a one time adjustment when the clutch is disassembled or replaced since the only place it talks about it in the service manual is the section for the R & R of the clutch assy.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

post this in the tech section !!!!! i am curious tooooooo!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

I wonder if it would hurt to re-adjust a 1/2 worn clutch? My car has 50k miles. Clutch is working fine so I guess maybe I shouldn't mess with it.

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
2. Remove the engine flywheel inspection cover retaining bolts.
3. Remove the engine flywheel inspection cover.
4. Have an assistant press in the pedal until tension is released from the clutch pressure plate stepped adjusting ring, then continue to hold the pedal.
5. Hold 2 screwdrivers or other suitable tools, and place them against 2 of the 3 stepped adjusting ring tension spring stops, just ahead of the adjusting ring tension springs. (The 3 slots are located at the center of the p/p)
6. Using the screwdrivers, rotate the stepped adjusting ring counterclockwise (compressing the tension springs) until the adjusting ring steps are fully adjusted out, then continue to hold in position.
7. Have your assistant release the clutch pedal.
8. Release the adjusting ring tension spring stops.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment