Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP !!! Major roof panel RATTLE !

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Tx Ray-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!! Major roof panel RATTLE !

I just got my car back from the dealer body shop with everything repaired after having had a rear end collision.

BUT..... as I'm driving down the road and hit any rough spots or god forbid an expansion joint on the highway. The roof panel now rattles ever so lightly when driving on the highway. When I hit the expasion loints on the highway the top RATLLES like its about to come off, WTF !!!

Can I fix this or do I just take it back to the body shop ??

Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
rc69wc
Pro

try to adjust the wind shield mounts,where the latches clamp down
i never realized that they were adjustable
when you take the top off the bolts are right behind the molding on the car
Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The top can be adjusted to fit tighter to the car. Here is something that was posted on the forum a while back:

Here are the Shop Manual Adjustments:

Corvette Targa Top Adjustment

Roof Lift Off Panel Adjustment

1. Perform one or more of the following adjustment procedures to properly align the roof lift off panel.
2. To adjust the front striker for up/down roof alignment perform the following steps:
• Remove the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in the Interior Trim.
1. For major up/down roof adjustment, loosen the striker bolts and reposition the latch striker up or down.
2. For minor up or down roof adjustment loosen the striker outboard bolt and slightly loosen the inboard bolt, pivot the striker on the inboard bolt in 2 mm (0.08 in) increments up or down. Notice – Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
3. Tighten the striker bolts. Tighten the roof latch handle striker bolts to 10 N*m (89 lb in).
4. When the striker is properly adjusted, the handle will snap closed.
5. Install the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.

3. To adjust the front latch handle forward or rearward perform the following steps:
• Loosen the latch handle bolts.
• Position the latch handle forward or rearward. Maintain a minimum of 2 mm (0.08 in) clearance between latch handle and the latch striker to avoid squeaks and rattles.
• Assure the latch handle base is parallel to the striker to provide clearance to the sunshade mirror door.
• Tighten the latch handle bolts. Tighten the roof latch handle bolts to 13 N*m (10 lb ft).

4. For major rear latch adjustment, adjust the rear latch striker performance the following steps:
• Remove the roof lift off panel.
• Remove the roof bow center interior trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement – Rear Roof Bow in Interior Trim.
• Loosen the rear latch striker attaching bolts.
• Adjust the position of the latch striker forward or rearward for major adjustment.
• Tighten the striker attaching bolts. Tighten the roof rear striker bolts to 10 N*m (89 lb in).
• Install the roof lift off panel.

5. For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows:
• Loosen the set screw locking the latch hook.
• Turn the hook in to tighten or out to loosen.
• Tighten the set screw.
• Install the roof panel.

6. To adjust the rear locator, perform the following steps:
• With the roof installed on the vehicle, loosen the locator mounting bolts.
• Reposition the locator.
• Tighten the mounting bolts. Tighten the roof rear locator to locator bracket bolts to 10 N*m (89 lb in).

Obviously if you are not sure you can do the adjustment, best to leave it to the body shop. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Soundclown (06-01-2018)
Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Tx Ray-C5
Burning Brakes

thanks for the posts guys, but I washed the car yeasterday and found some paint cracks in the roof at the latch locations. I think this is why it won't stay locked... and I also noticed quite a few other things that didn't get fixed and or repainted !

Looks like she's going back to the body shop tomorrow !
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't except it until you are completely satisfied,the car was right before it was hit wasn't it?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
JCMVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by bucwheat
Don't except it until you are completely satisfied,the car was right before it was hit wasn't it?

Go over the car several times before you accept the car.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Tx Ray-C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bucwheat
I took possesion of my car last Friday. It rained Friday and Saturday here so I washed it Sunday and found a bunch of items that they didn't fix !!

I found cracks in the paint on both rear fenders, both doors and on the roof panel above the latch locations !

Originally Posted by JCMVette

Go over the car several times before you accept the car.
I've already gone over the car very carefully this past Sunday and I made a list of everything I found.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
z28flash
Racer

Good luck with everything....hope they fix the issues without much fuss!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
bigbob707
3rd Gear

Are there any videos available for these roof panel adjustments?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
harrydunn
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a roof panel rattle and I just stuck a folded business card in the latch to tighten it up. Worked like a charm, is hidden from view behind the visor and takes 10 seconds. Just a thought.

--Mark
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope the body shop gets everything worked out for you!
Old 05-25-2018, 02:40 PM
hornet7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Top Adjustment

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The top can be adjusted to fit tighter to the car. Here is something that was posted on the forum a while back:

Here are the Shop Manual Adjustments:

Corvette Targa Top Adjustment

Roof Lift Off Panel Adjustment

1. Perform one or more of the following adjustment procedures to properly align the roof lift off panel.
2. To adjust the front striker for up/down roof alignment perform the following steps:
• Remove the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in the Interior Trim.
1. For major up/down roof adjustment, loosen the striker bolts and reposition the latch striker up or down.
2. For minor up or down roof adjustment loosen the striker outboard bolt and slightly loosen the inboard bolt, pivot the striker on the inboard bolt in 2 mm (0.08 in) increments up or down. Notice – Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
3. Tighten the striker bolts. Tighten the roof latch handle striker bolts to 10 N*m (89 lb in).
4. When the striker is properly adjusted, the handle will snap closed.
5. Install the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.

3. To adjust the front latch handle forward or rearward perform the following steps:
• Loosen the latch handle bolts.
• Position the latch handle forward or rearward. Maintain a minimum of 2 mm (0.08 in) clearance between latch handle and the latch striker to avoid squeaks and rattles.
• Assure the latch handle base is parallel to the striker to provide clearance to the sunshade mirror door.
• Tighten the latch handle bolts. Tighten the roof latch handle bolts to 13 N*m (10 lb ft).

4. For major rear latch adjustment, adjust the rear latch striker performance the following steps:
• Remove the roof bow center interior trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement – Rear Roof Bow in Interior Trim.
• Loosen the rear latch striker attaching bolts.
• Adjust the position of the latch striker forward or rearward for major adjustment.
• Tighten the striker attaching bolts. Tighten the roof rear striker bolts to 10 N*m (89 lb in).
• Install the roof lift off panel.

5. For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows:
• Loosen the set screw locking the latch hook.
• Turn the hook in to tighten or out to loosen.
• Tighten the set screw.
• Install the roof panel.

6. To adjust the rear locator, perform the following steps:
• With the roof installed on the vehicle, loosen the locator mounting bolts.
• Reposition the locator.
• Tighten the mounting bolts. Tighten the roof rear locator to locator bracket bolts to 10 N*m (89 lb in).

Obviously if you are not sure you can do the adjustment, best to leave it to the body shop. Good luck.
I received a replace top and followed your write up and now its perfect. execllent post.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP !!! Major roof panel RATTLE !

Quick Reply: HELP !!! Major roof panel RATTLE !