Sponsored by:

[Z06] car goes in monday for clutch and new rings

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:06 AM
yellowmatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car goes in monday for clutch and new rings

anything i need to specify? or request or lok for??
Old 12-05-2001, 08:23 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Re: car goes in monday for clutch and new rings (yellowmatt)

anything i need to specify? or request or lok for??
A clutch install must be done right or else you may get serious vibrations from the new clutch.

The 01 replacement clutches had some quality control issues. Suggest insisting they install an 02 Z06 clutch. Also I'd suggest you read read the shop manual passages dealing with the clutch and the flywheel There is a passage on "flywheel removal" that must be followed precisely.

The engine is externally balanced by weight pins in certain holes on the flywheel. Failure to preserve the balance will result in vibration that's quite difficult to cure. This means the Tech must scribe the position of the flywheel on the crank to mark their correct relative alignment.

The new flywheel must go on in the same exact orientation as the old (the scribe mark ensures this) and NEW weight pins of the correct size must be installed in the new flywheel in the same holes as on the old flywheel.

Torque everything to spec and use the "three-step process" where called for in the shop manual.

If the Tech doesn't follow the shop manual precisely, it is very likely that you will wind up with bad vibrations afterwards. And please note that the manual is poorly organized. You must seek out ALL the references to the clutch and the flywheel, particularly critical are the "flywheel removal" pages.

Also the start of the engagement point is adjustable at the pressure plate while the car is apart. If the Tech neglects to make the adjustment, it will drive you crazy by engaging right at the floor and he'd have to take it apart again to fix it.

My dealer screwed up an unnecessary clutch install on my car. The tech failed to scribe the flywheel-crank alignment and didn't transfer the new balance pins to the correct holes on the new flywheel. The resulting vibration from my then unbalanced engine would knock your fillings out. The cure involved three additional clutch installs and finally a two day visit by two Corvette field engineers who used specialized equipment to rebalance the engine. It's fine now but this sidelined my car for about 60 days and was a most unpleasant experience.

Given this experience, I'm reluctant to have the car re-ringed for my own oil consumption.

Also remember that if the re-ring does not cure your oil consumption, you should be able to win a buy-back or get a new 02 for free. Keep that in mind.

Good luck. There are some great Techs. Hope one of them will be working on your car.

Ranger
Old 12-05-2001, 10:05 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: car goes in monday for clutch and new rings (yellowmatt)

Yellowmatt,

I had the new rings installed in my 2001 coupe about a month ago and all is well. No usage since then and it has been on a few "spirited" runs so I am pleased.

Old 12-06-2001, 12:19 AM
yellowmatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: car goes in monday for clutch and new rings (cruiz)

nitrous is after rebuild

Get notified of new replies

To car goes in monday for clutch and new rings

Quick Reply: [Z06] car goes in monday for clutch and new rings