Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A successful run-flat experience

Old 02-28-2008, 05:12 PM
docpat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A successful run-flat experience

I know that most people here hate their run-flats. Unfortunately, I have to drive through some less than desirable areas of town to get to work and the piece of mind is worth the anticipated noise. I drive a combo of city and highway at modestly more than posted speeds. Vette tires are quite expensive (as are tickets and points) so I try not to leave expensive tire residue on the roadways, so no burnouts or drifting around corners. After much research here on this site and on Tire Rack's, and thanks to the information from DeeGee on this forum, I decided to bite the bullet and take my chances and stick with run-flats. I knew I didn't want the OE Goodyears, but had to take a chance on something else. My biggest concerns were wet weather handling and noise.

I wound up getting Michelin AS RFs and am very happy with them. The noise level is negligible, dry traction is excellent for my driving style, wet traction is decent (as good as can be expected with the torrential downpours here in Florida) and the price was right. I got them at Discount Tire. They were very accommodating, even asking me if I wanted to pull the car into the bay myself. When I saw they were going to lift the car with a platform type lift that looked like it may hit the rockers, I told them I wanted the car lifted with floor type jacks and they accommodated me without question. Two techs lifted left and right sides simultaneously (I only needed rear tires and the doors, hood and hatch were unhitched before the lift).

I was leary of going with run-flats without driving them first, but I am very happy with and would highly recommend both the Michelins and Discount Tire. They even put new TPSs in.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:26 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I've been hearing nothing but good on those Michelin's as of late, and I'm in need of new tires relatively soon. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on getting a set, so hearing yet another "I like 'em" thread about those tires is always a good thing!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

I had them on my 2003 and they suited me well for the way I drove the car. The 03 was used for cruising, not high performance driving. They met my driving needs and I too drove in areas where there's no cell phone coverage, miles between exits, and many nare do wells waiting for the opportunity to have some free parts. It all boils down to security over performance. Pick your poison.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ordered a new set of the Michelin RF's last week. These too will replace my GY RF's.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

thanks for the report
Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 PM
pikerunner
Instructor

I also have the Michelin Pilot AS RF's. I like them and the peace of mind is well worth it.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
garagpet
Instructor

Yep, I got 'em on mine, and compared to the original tires, they're great! I also did the Frost King mod, and the noise is nearly non-existant. It's also good to know that I won't be rolling around on the cold ground trying to find and plug a nail hole in the dark. I've had that experience several times on my Harley!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good to hear. I like my Firestone Firehawks, but when I need new ones I'll consider the Michelin's too.

Get notified of new replies

To A successful run-flat experience

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A successful run-flat experience