Sponsored by:

Use a Windjammer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
z28flash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use a Windjammer?

Anyone have experience with the Windjammer, and does it work well? Thanks! (It's a deflection screen for when the top is off).
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by z28flash
Anyone have experience with the Windjammer, and does it work well? Thanks! (It's a deflection screen for when the top is off).
Its so funny that you asked that question i just asked the samething.......Charlene
Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 PM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I'm interested in an answer as well. Inquiring minds want to know. ANyone???
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
VETSTYL
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My Research

I've read extensively about the windjammers and contacted owners who are using them. The recurring theme is they work well when the top is top and the windows are up. With the top down and the windows down, they don't make much of a difference.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 923 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by VETSTYL
I've read extensively about the windjammers and contacted owners who are using them. The recurring theme is they work well when the top is top and the windows are up. With the top down and the windows down, they don't make much of a difference.

I think your research is flawed. I don't know how to top my top?
You get the biggest benefit when the windows are up, which obviously =
I have been told with the windows down, and especially at highway speeds, the improvement is negligible.

Sorry, I was referring to the vette net for a vert.

Last edited by steve8; 03-05-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: not thinking
Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
8cylinder
Cruising

I am an outsider in this thread but find this very interesting. I currently own a Honda S2000 that I drive with the top down as much as possible. I hope to buy a clean C5 in the near future. I am not sure which type. If the vette coupe is not that enjoyable with the top off I will buy a Z06 or convertible. What is it about the coupe with top off that presents a problem?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 8cylinder
I am an outsider in this thread but find this very interesting. I currently own a Honda S2000 that I drive with the top down as much as possible. I hope to buy a clean C5 in the near future. I am not sure which type. If the vette coupe is not that enjoyable with the top off I will buy a Z06 or convertible. What is it about the coupe with top off that presents a problem?
If you look at the windshield, the trailing edge is not higher than the leading edge of the B-pillar hoop to permit smooth airflow. Airflow over the windshield hits the B-pillar/hoop and booms inside the rear compartment of the car, with lots of turbulence and noise. Gets tiresome after a while, at least for me. I know it doesn't bother others, so take it for a spin first on the interstate.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
z28flash
Racer

For the very reason of the turbulence I am looking at the windjammer. I really see no reason to drive with the targa top off but the windows up, seems to defeat the experience. The windjammer should deflect the air above the rear pillar, but since I am not sure just trying to see if someone actually has used one and knows. I have found that shorter people (i.e. my gf who is only 5') do not experience as much of the turbulence, but at 6' I do. And although the rear hatch extensions might work to allow air to pass through, I don't see driving with my hatch open 2 inches either, just not my cup of tea. Maybe I will see if there is a money back guarantee!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to buy one a year or so ago but decided not to. If you do a search, you'll find some threads on this topic. Bottom line from what I read in some of those threads, they don't work.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
z28flash
Racer

Well, guess I'll just put on a hat, my sunglasses and enjoy the air then, lol! And save a little $$ too!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, guess I'll just put on a hat, my sunglasses and enjoy the air then, lol! And save a little $$ too!
There ya go
Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
rickbach
7th Gear

Default Vette Net

I put a Vette Net on my '00 Convertible late last fall, before i put it away for the winter. We only used three or four times, but it worked great! My wife really noticed the difference, even after I paid $ 350.00 for it. We usually try to avoid the highways on our weekend cruises, but it works well at high or low speeds, windows up or down. And the black frame matches nice with the black paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Use a Windjammer?

Quick Reply: Use a Windjammer?