Old 03-22-2008, 10:56 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Dave,

Great write up on a common issue.

Have you asked for this to be posted in the Tech Tip stickey?
I'd best wait to see if I get a hard time first Dennis

There are a few die hard AC Delco fans out there
Old 03-22-2008, 11:03 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by DeeGee
I'd best wait to see if I get a hard time first Dennis

There are a few die hard AC Delco fans out there

Those that are won't be so die harded when the battery dies (pun intended)
Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 158 Posts

Great wrtie up Dave, thanks for the information.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Tuxblacray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factoid: Most batteries have a life expectantcy of 6 years or less. Delco, Optima, and Interstate are the most prevelant selling batteries.

I chose the Intrastate because of the value and it can be readily replace at a wide varity of locations throughout the USA.

When I replaced my battery I bought a plastic battery box that is commonly utilized for marine usage. I modified it to fit into the car and the battery fits inside the box. no more worries about the battery leaking.

Last edited by Tuxblacray; 03-22-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:07 PM
BrianWe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up Dave!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rcs128
Wow, fantastic post. Thanks for compiling all that.

....Like you said, it's impossible to scientifically rate the OEM battery by assigning it a "failure" value, since it is in effect a wear item -- designed to last, or "fail" (via lack of charge capability), after 5-6 years. To say that all these AC Delco batteries are failing is like saying that for many owners the stock Runflat tires are failing... they're not, they're just aging to a point where the serviceable life has ended and owners replace them with a new set. The only true verifiable "failure" of a battery is when it leaks. Individual use and care (and the condition of a vehicle's electrical system) have far more effect on battery life than does manufacturing.
Rich,

Thinking about those ideas again and putting it in context:

I'd also say I'd expect 5 years or so from a battery. In Vegas with the heat, I would accept maybe 3-5 years. I think my OEM died prematurely.

I started the poll when the Optima was starting to get bad press. At that time, mine was working fine and I was still smarting from a leaking AC Delco. Something didn't seem right and I thought that there were quite a few examples of leaks on the OEMs yet the leak free battery seemed to be getting a worse press. I was intersted to know if the "failure rates" supported the discussion on the Forum. At that time the maximum age of the batteries was 9 for a 97 and 4 for an 02.

I have to say, in broad terms, and bear in mind most batteries were only a few years old in mid 06, it bore out what I suspected. The Red Top failure rate wasn't as high as it seemed from the negative posts and there were a significant number of the early batteries that had caused damage.

Again I agree that after so long, even the newest of the Delphi batteries has done its duty. Now all we need to do is ensure that anyone still with a Delphi fitted is aware of the potential for a leak. What they choose to replace it with is clearly their choice.

Just to be clear, I stress that I have no affiliation with any battery buisnesses and this is JMHO.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:01 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you live in Vegas or any really warm climate, you want the lowest CCA battery that will start your car. The reason is as you stated, heat kills batteries and the more acid you have, and fewer plates, the longer your battery will last in warm climates. The average battery in say, Michigan lasts 5-7 years the average in Vegas is 3.

Battery companies do their testing in Taxi cabs in Vegas because of the heat and 24 hour use.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 AM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,

Thinking about those ideas again and putting it in context:

I'd also say I'd expect 5 years or so from a battery. In Vegas with the heat, I would accept maybe 3-5 years. I think my OEM died prematurely.

I started the poll when the Optima was starting to get bad press. At that time, mine was working fine and I was still smarting from a leaking AC Delco. Something didn't seem right and I thought that there were quite a few examples of leaks on the OEMs yet the leak free battery seemed to be getting a worse press. I was intersted to know if the "failure rates" supported the discussion on the Forum. At that time the maximum age of the batteries was 9 for a 97 and 4 for an 02.

I have to say, in broad terms, and bear in mind most batteries were only a few years old in mid 06, it bore out what I suspected. The Red Top failure rate wasn't as high as it seemed from the negative posts and there were a significant number of the early batteries that had caused damage.

Again I agree that after so long, even the newest of the Delphi batteries has done its duty. Now all we need to do is ensure that anyone still with a Delphi fitted is aware of the potential for a leak. What they choose to replace it with is clearly their choice.

Just to be clear, I stress that I have no affiliation with any battery buisnesses and this is JMHO.
Morning, Dave -

I agree completely. And for a little perspective, the failure of a Red Top (the car not starting) is a heck of lot less significant than the ultimate failure of an original Delco (leak/electronics damage).

(Unless your robbing a bank and the vette is your getaway car... )

I bought my 99 in 2004 and I had no idea if the battery was original or not. The car had 35K miles on it, and had lived in NJ for its first few years and then Florida for a few. I suspected it was on it's second battery and last year when the cranking power seemed a little low I replaced the Delco with an Energizer from Pep Boys... far better safe than sorry.

Now, thanks to some info that has come out in your excellent post, I can see that it WAS a replacement battery. But still, a 10 year old car one year into its 3rd battery is still perfectly reasonable.

Have a great Easter.
Rich
Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa DeeGee, hell of a thread! Great contribution here!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:52 AM
docpat
Racer

Once again, great work DeeGee
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 AM
docpat
Racer

Originally Posted by timd38
FYI, the Delco battery you have in the picture was made by Delphi, thus the leak issue. Since that time Delphi abandon the battery business and they are now made to GM specification by Johnson Controls. You can tell the new one ones because they have a different cover on the battery that has service caps that are not to be opened.

Also, if an Optima battery becomes very deeply discharged, the purity of lead used in an Optima is so high that the internal resistance becomes to low to turn most home battery chargers on, so you want to connect it to another battery to create the resistance required to turn the charger on.

The company I work for makes over 110 MILLION AUTOMOTIVE batteries a year, so say what I say for what it is worth.
Thanks for the info on the two different production types of Delcos. Any chance of getting us pics of the Delphi VS Johnson Control tops or links to them for better identification?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by docpat
Thanks for the info on the two different production types of Delcos. Any chance of getting us pics of the Delphi VS Johnson Control tops or links to them for better identification?
2004 (first year of top post) and froward were JCI batteries. I am moving from Detroit to Milwaukee on Monday, so posting pictures is a challenge at this time.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Cocked and Locked
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Great write up. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,866 Likes on 14,323 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Great post, DeeGee, and very informative. Thanks for taking the time to type it all up.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Great post, DeeGee, and very informative. Thanks for taking the time to type it all up.
No problem Jack. i just think the members with older batteries should be aware of what they may be living with.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 PM
cletus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem Jack. i just think the members with older batteries should be aware of what they may be living with.
I vote this should be a sticky.Thanks DeeGee. The next beer's on me...

Get notified of new replies

To DeeGee’s Battery Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cletus
I vote this should be a sticky.Thanks DeeGee. The next beer's on me...
You must have known I'm on the West Coast next week otherwise I'd take you up on that
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

That is one great write up Dave

Dave
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

You must have known I'm on the West Coast next week otherwise I'd take you up on that
Where?!

Quick Reply: DeeGee’s Battery Thread