Sponsored by:

Steering feel: C5 Z06 vs C5 base

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
opua
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering feel: C5 Z06 vs C5 base

I was reading an old copy of the Consumer Reports on the test of C5 vette. It says “Corvette is not as nimble as a Boxster.” Then, it goes on to say that the steering is well weighted. Still, based on my test drive of a C5 Z06, steering feel is not quite up to the Boxster level. Since I have never driven a base C5, I am wondering if there is a difference in steering feel for the base C5 versus the C5 Z06. What’s the difference the steering feel between the base C5 versus the C5 Z06?

I love to hear it especially from owners of both cars.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 AM
c4mako
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I autox'd a well set up 914 years ago....minilite wheels Yokohama A008Rs, lowered....well sorted out. I nicknamed it Tele short for Telepathic....because it provided that much feedback and direct responses....

No experience with a C5 yet....I autox'd a so so setup 1985 C4 for a couple of years....feedback was like reading brail with gloves on....responses worse....

But do consider that the Boxster is almost 1000lbs heavier than a 914, seating position is higher and more isolated....so responses won't be nearly as direct as the 914 with the low profile Yoks...strange that one early car magazine said the Boxster seemed almost telepathic to them....brought back memories....

C5 has a much more solid rear suspension than the C4 - which is a dominant influence on steering feel....I plan on changing the C5's rack and pinion bushing to solids....and the rear suspension bushing to poly Us which should help a great deal....I will also look at the steering shaft joints and column mount for possible improvements....

Test drive both and see for yourself....

PS: I used to 4 wheel drift my 914 around a local lake at night....that's how much I trusted it....

Quick Reply: Steering feel: C5 Z06 vs C5 base