Sponsored by:

Interior Squeaks Eliminated

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts

The following photo show where I added additional sound-deadening material AFTER the Dynamat and Ensolite were applied to the rear compartment. I used a product called Poly-fil Nu-Foam by Fairfield which I purchased at Hobby Lobby to fill in the blue-tinted compartments in the photo (FYI - this is the same material that I used to increase the padding in my new VE Seats this weekend as well as some additional foam added to the the new stock seat foam, but that is a different topic).

I purchased the 4" thick Nu-Foam, cut it to shape and placed it in the bottom and top of each of the rear compartments (so that I could still use them for storage).

The BIGGEST sound reduction (after much testing) came from deadening that rear wall that I show tinted in red. Two layers of Dynamat and Ensolite really helped, but still not enough - what really did the trick, was I happened to have one of those Sleep-Comfort urethane pillows that I was not using in the house (you know the space-age conforming material they advertise on TV that conforms to your body and feels great until you wake up in a pool of sweat 30-minutes later). This material is so dense that you can shout into it and nothing gets through. I sacrificed that pillow and cut it to fit the exact shape of that rear "drum" skin and had it covered in black material to match the carpet and it wedges into that area perfectly on top of the carpet. This also does not interfere with putting the targa in the back.

Also, Dynamatting under the wheel wells on both the car and plastic shrouds helps considerably with the tire noise, plus adding Ensolite in around the door/gas tank gaps while the shrouds were off.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by CircledWagons
I took care of all of the interior noises of my C5 with a simple trick I learned from my Dad. He got tired of hearing the complaints of this squeaks, that chirps, that door needs oil. So, to fix it he put a small plastic pan in the trunk with two golf ***** in it.

Problem solved -
Several forum members have proposed similar solutions to sound problems (turning up the radio to attract other Mexican brothers in the area, removing mufflers to compete with the pickup trucks and fart-cans, finding a girlfriend with gastro-intestinal issues and continuously feed her at Taco Bell, etc.). That is like having acne and distracting people by wearing a hockey mask. The goal here was to "cure" the acne not cover it up with something equally unattractive.

The last thing I want is to attract more police attention. My first Corvette was a 1972 454CID 500HP with Hooker Side Pipes with NO BAFFLES. I got stopped and ticketed repeatedly just "idling"!

Still the loudest car I ever heard - you didn't "hear" it coming, you "felt" it!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:21 PM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by MAC5
Has anyone come up with a fix for the sunvisors rattling? Mine are 10 years old and not sure if they did find a permanent fix for later model years. All the other noises are tolerable except for the bouncing/rattling visors.
Took mine off. Of course if you sit short in the seat you might need 'em. I don't.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for posting up some pictures.

Quick Reply: Interior Squeaks Eliminated