Sponsored by:

C-5 Seat bottom switch driver side to passenger

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 PM
TooFast4You
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-5 Seat bottom switch driver side to passenger

Has anyone swapped the seat bottom from driver side to passenger side to equal the wear? In the C-4's this was an easy swap, but I have not figured out this swap in my Z-06 yet. I was hoping to avoid having to mess with hog rings or covers. If you have performed a seat swap I would appreciate you advice. Swapping the seats rail to rail does not seem like an option because the driver's side is powered, and the recline levers are on the outside. If possible I just want to swap the seat bottoms. Thanks in advance! Jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

You would probably be better off to purchase a new foam pad for the driver's side and leave the passenger side as is, if it is in good shape.

The lower seat cushions cannot be removed without removing 6-8 hog-rings. Your also will have three holes cut in the leather/foam for the recliner lever and two switch plate mounting screws. To swap the seats you would not only have these holes facing the console, but would need to position an cut out 6 more holes on the (now) outer sides. Also the foam itself is cut out on the outer side to allow for the switch plates - this cutout would need to be repeated upon swapping and the formerly cutout filled somehow.

The seat back foam/leather and back inserts ARE swappable accept that you would have the felt-like fabric facing out on the outer back which would not look very good.

Best bet is just buy a new driver's cushion IMO.

Last edited by Choreo; 04-06-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,009 Likes on 5,373 Posts

On 2002 and earlier cars you can swap the seat bottoms but you will have to take out the hog rings. When reinstalling the covers use small zip ties instead of the hog rings. Easier to use and probably a better way to do the job. As the poster above mentioned you will have to add some holes in the covers to handle seat controls. If you don't have a power seat on the passenger side the only hole that will have to be added is for the recliner handle. I have played with this while installing different covers on my seats and had to put the old drivers seat bottom on the passenger side when I had to send the old passenger seat bottom back to the vendor with the new cover so they could make some mods to match the old cover.

On 2003 and 2004 cars the passenger seat bottom cover has slits in the rear for the child seat provisions that were added to the car. These slits are not easy to add to a cover unless you are an experienced upholsterer with the proper equipment.

Bill
Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 PM
TooFast4You
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your detailed and informative reply. You have saved me hours of work to find out what you already knew. I hope that I can return the favor some day!

Get notified of new replies

To C-5 Seat bottom switch driver side to passenger

Quick Reply: C-5 Seat bottom switch driver side to passenger