Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is best way to clean crud off the inner barrels on aluminum wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by PaceThis
Go to your local auto store and get a rust/paint stripper for your drill. It's a black composite mesh and will have them clean in about 5 minutes per wheel. I've used it on HRE's and it worked great...
Anytime I can get a machine to do the dirty work, I am all for it! Great idea, buddy!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jistari
Anything you hit with something as abrasive as steele wool, will never "stay" clean.
Not sure if your wheels are cleared, or if you already are through the clear coat and the stuff has eaten into the aluminum.
If thats the case, you probably should polish em to as near perfection as you can and then have the barrels recleared at a body shop.

If you are not through the clear on them, try not to use an abrasive. Once you get them clean, wax em (treat clear coated finishes as you would any other painted surface on the car) and they should stay pretty good.

I should have stated: my centers are clearcoated, but the rims are polished aluminum. So, I have both conditions, but only the polished area has the dirty crud...I think I will post some pics to clarify this....I like Josh's idea too of using a machine to remove the crud.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I should have stated: my centers are clearcoated, but the rims are polished aluminum. So, I have both conditions, but only the polished area has the dirty crud...I think I will post some pics to clarify this....I like Josh's idea too of using a machine to remove the crud.
This is what I used
3M PAINT&RUST STRIPPING PAD 9099
:

Last edited by PaceThis; 04-25-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:37 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

I used it on non clearcoated inner barrels on HRE Aluminum wheels and had no problems, though you should always exercise your best judgement. You should be fine if you apply firm pressure and continue as soon as the area is clear of grime (which takes very little time). You can probably do all 4 in an hour or less and have them looking like new.

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE: Using this on the face of polished aluminum wheels will remove the polish from the finish and they would have to be repolished back to a shine. I use this technique only for the inner portions of my wheels, or to completely strip the paint before refinishing as necessary.

Best of lucK!
Josh
Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lets see what other Ideas I get .
Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Also, as mentioned above, they could be clearcoated if you'd like to keep them easier to clean once done. However, this is easily a DIY project with spray paint in clear finish (Duplicolor makes a heavy duty clear for wheels at about $5/can - you'd need 1-2 cans for a set of wheels). Mask what you don't want done and spray in medium, even coats.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:40 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

simple green, than scotch brite followed by adams #1 and #2 metal polish. coat with zoopseal and nothing will stick to it again. This is only if bare aluminum, not a clearcoat.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Doug.S
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corroded? inner chromed wheels

Originally Posted by jacks996
simple green, than scotch brite followed by adams #1 and #2 metal polish. coat with zoopseal and nothing will stick to it again. This is only if bare aluminum, not a clearcoat.
I have a similar problem C5 2004: GM chromed wheels seem to have some course bumps or corrosion on inside (outside, you see, looks perfect).
How best to clean, restore, preserve? What to use? or simply ignore?
I assume taking wheels off is only good way to get to the rough surface.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Doug - try posting your question in the Car Care Section. If the answer wasn't in the previous posts in this thread, bringing back a nearly 10 year old thread is not a good way to go.

Quick Reply: What is best way to clean crud off the inner barrels on aluminum wheels?