Sponsored by:

[Z06] tire problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default tire problem??

can to much toe out cause a feathering on the inside edge of a tire on the front?????????????????????
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I just replaced the front tires on the Z at 26,500 miles. My tires were worn down to the cord on the inside but probably had 5,000 miles more tread left. I asked the same question a while back on this site and was told that it is the CAMBER that causes the wear and not the TOE. The camber is set to negative 1° (top of tire in and bottom of tire out) from the factory since they anticipate owner aggressive driving. I was told to set the camber to 0° and that should fix the inside premature wear issue unless you race the Z often. When my mechanic installed the new Michelins on the front he checked both the camber and toe and the camber was negative .01° on both sides and the toe was within spec. I'm going to have it checked every 5,000 miles to be sure I have no premature wear issues.

Ed
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, toe out can cause exsessive wear on the inside shoulder. But, its probably negative camber that is wearing the inside shoulder.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 AM
ROYZZO6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, both Toe and Camber can cause inside tire wear. Toe is much more related to causing tire wear then camber is, but like everyone has already said too much camber can cause tire wear.

That's the reason toe is adjustable on every single vehical on the road today and camber is only adjustable on say 50% (total guess)

Couple them together and you can eat a set of tires fast, and then add the fact we can't rotate them and it's even faster.

Get notified of new replies

To tire problem??

Quick Reply: [Z06] tire problem??