Sponsored by:

Driver Side Ac Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 PM
99C5HT
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side Ac Not Working

Looking For Some Help On Driver Side Ac Not Working,hot Air Only ... Pass Side Ac Is Cold ... Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
XXXLTRP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search for it, I am having the same problem. The answers are on the forum. Check to see if it's throwing any codes. There are two associated with this issue. The threads I read said to try and reset the actuator. Pull fuse #27 and wait 60 seconds to interrupt the power supply. People have posted that this resets and requires the atuators to reset. Some posts say to disconnect the battery. If those two things don't reset the actuators..there's a link in a thread you will find if you search the forum that will show you how to "re-index" the actuator. It may have a broken gear, or a few teeth then it will need to be replaced. I haven't found teh answer to mine yet. I have pulled the fuse and disconnected the power. Another forum member had the same problem but without the codes, his charge was low. Ours are cold on the passenger side and not quit as cold on the drivers side. I have yet to find a clear cut answer to whether or not a single climate vette has the actuators. I have found that dual climate ones have two. I guessing the the single climate option has one electronic actuators. I have not pulled the console and knee pad to look yet though.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

needs a new tempature door actuator. GM cars and trucks are pretty common for this.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 PM
1badvr4
Pro

is this the same for drivers side heat not working? my ac blows cold both sides, but the heat only blows heat on the pass side.

its summer now but in the winter
Old 06-12-2008, 10:07 PM
maxfli's5
Racer

just add a little freon ! most of the time thats all you need
Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badvr4
is this the same for drivers side heat not working? my ac blows cold both sides, but the heat only blows heat on the pass side.

its summer now but in the winter
can be yes, just depends on where the actuator decided to short out.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 PM
1badvr4
Pro

Originally Posted by CamaroAJ
can be yes, just depends on where the actuator decided to short out.
so should i pull the fuse or start looking for door actuators? what/where is that? how much are they?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC Problems

so should i pull the fuse or start looking for door actuators? what/where is that? how much are they?
Hi, it depends if you have Dual Zone Ac or Manual with dials. If you have Dual Zone there is a left and a right door controlled by electric actuators that get their signals from the control head. In this case pulling fuse #27 and after a minute plugging it back in will re calibrate the actuators. If you have Manual AC with dials at the control head, Read Below
The manual system doesn't have separate actuators for left and right side. The air first passes through the AIR Inlet Valve which complies with either Outside or Recirc air, then enters the plenum at the passenger side, after being sent through the Temperature Valve which sends it through either the AC Evaporator, or the Heater Core, or a combination of both, and makes its way across the vehicle to the various outlets determined by the Mode Valve which gets its instructions from the position of the mode dial on the control head. If the cooling is marginal the driver side of the vehicle outlets will not be as cool as the passenger side. Possible causes are low refridgerant charge, dirty condenser, restrictions, bad pressure switches. A good place to start is to check the refridgerant levels, and it would be a good idea to make sure the condenser is clean and free of debris, including in between the condenser and radiator.There is a mode door that is vacuum actuated to direct the various modes. So there is no Re Calibration possible of the Left and Right Doors, because their are none. All valves,(doors), in the manual system are vacuum actuated, the only Electric actuated doors are the Left and Right in the Dual Zone Automatic system
Good Luck

Last edited by bestvettever; 06-12-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:42 AM
XXXLTRP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A link from my search..

http://vette.tnreeds.com/actuator/actuator.htm
Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Some good responses so far. Another place to look, if you have single climate control, is the vacuum lines under the battery. They are a hard plastic, and are subject to breaking, coming loose, and battery acid damage. Also, where the vacuum line attatches to the manifold is another place where is comes loose a lot. A real PIA to get to and re-attatch.
I've replaced my drivers side actuator. If you have HVAC codes, look them up. If you have actuator codes, search my threads, I did a write up on replacing the drivers side. A pretty easy job. If it's the passenger side, you have to take the dash apart. There's another write up on that here as well.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:49 AM
99C5HT
Cruising

Reset Battery And Fuse #27 ... No Good ....... Getting One Code # B0361 H C ... Reset The Code And As Long As I Leave The Driver Side Temp.on 60 And Not Adjust It Getting Cold Air .
Old 06-13-2008, 03:01 PM
jmorr649
Instructor

Drive alone and close the vents going forward...will increase mpg, reduce nagging, and give you a place to put your stuff.

Just kidding. I bet adding some freon will fix you right up.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default AC Problems

Originally Posted by 99C5HT
Reset Battery And Fuse #27 ... No Good ....... Getting One Code # B0361 H C ... Reset The Code And As Long As I Leave The Driver Side Temp.on 60 And Not Adjust It Getting Cold Air .
That code is a LH actuator short to ground. Leaving the system temp set to 60 bypasses the door actuator differential function.
Below is a long troubleshooting procedure to diagnose the problem.

EDIT-- You may want to skip the long diagnosis and go straight to replacing the LH Actuator, as this has been a problem source for many others.
Good Luck
Read Below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DTC B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND
Circuit Description
The HVAC control head receives a LH electric actuator position signal from the LH electric actuator. The LH electric actuator position sensor is a potentiometer that is tied to a 5 volt reference source through CKT 1791 and to ground through CKT 1798, both from the HVAC control head. The variable output from the potentiometer feeds back a position signal through CKT 733 to a pull-up resistor located in the HVAC control head. This signal is used to determine the necessary drive signal to the LH electric actuator motor to provide the proper air mix door position. This value is stored in the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) portion of the HVAC control head.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
With the ignition in the ON position, CKT 733 is checked continuously.
CKT 733 stays at or near 0 volts.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The HVAC control head stores a DTC B0361 in memory.
No driver warning message will be displayed for this DTC.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
Using the IPC clearing feature.
Using a scan tool.
A history DTC will clear after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the conditions for the fault is no longer present.
Diagnostic Aids
If the DTC is a history or an intermittent. Try to perform the tests shown while "wiggling" wiring and connectors, this can often cause the malfunction to appear.
Visually inspect sensor connector and harness for damage, corrosion or water intrusion.
Check for adequate terminal tension, mis-routed harness, rubbed through wire insulation, and broken wire inside insulation.
Install a scan tool to the diagnostic link connector. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Select the OUTPUT CONTROL screen in HVAC special functions. Use the MISCELLANEOUS TEST screen to manually drive the LH electric actuator with the scan tool from fully open to fully closed. Monitor the LH MIX MTR POSITION FEEDBACK with the scan tool when this is done. A normal position feedback signal should range between 0-255 counts as the electric actuator is being moved.
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:

This test checks for the 5 volt reference signal being sent from the HVAC control head along CKT 1791.

This step is determining if a short to battery voltage exists on CKT 1791.

This step is checking for the 5 volt reference signal being sent from the HVAC control head along CKT 733.

This step is checking for a short to ground in CKT 733.

This step will repair a short to ground in CKT 733.

Replace the HVAC control head.

This test checks for a short to ground in CKT 1791.

Repair the short to ground in CKT 1791.

This step is checking for continuity of CKT 1798.

Repair open in CKT 1798.

This step will replace the LH electric actuator.

Erase all DTCs and recheck for repair verification.

This step is determining if a short to battery voltage exists on CKT 1791 with the HVAC control head and the LH electric actuator disconnected.

Checks for an open in CKT 1791.

Repair the open in CKT 1791.

Repair the short to battery voltage in CKT 1791.

DTC B0361 - LH Electric Actuator Feedback Short (CJ2) Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Were you sent here from the HVAC System Check (CJ2)?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to HVAC System Check (CJ2)

Remove the Bose® module from the vehicle.
Disconnect the LH electric actuator connector.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Use a DMM to measure the voltage between terminal 10 of the LH electric actuator connector and ground.
Is the voltage within the specified values?
4.0-6.0V
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 3

Is the measured voltage in step #2 greater than the specified value?
6.0V
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 15

Use a DMM to measure the voltage between terminal 9 of the LH electric actuator connector and ground.

Is the voltage within the specified values?
4.0-6.0V
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 5

HVAC control head connector still disconnected.
Connect a DMM between terminal C8 of the HVAC control head connector and ground.
Check CKT 733 for continuity to ground.
Is CKT 733 shorted to ground?
--
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 7

Locate and repair a short to ground in CKT 733.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Replace the HVAC control head.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Connect a DMM between terminal C10 of the HVAC control head connector and ground.
Check CKT 1791 for continuity to ground.
Is CKT 1791 shorted to ground?
--
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 10

Locate and repair a short to ground in CKT 1791.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Connect a DMM between terminal D1 of the HVAC control head connector and terminal 7 of the LH electric actuator connector .
Check CKT 1798 for continuity.
Is CKT 1798 continuous between these connectors?
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 11

Locate and repair an open or high resistance in CKT 1798.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Replace the LH Electric Actuator.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Using a scan tool, clear all DTCs from memory.

Do all DTCs erase from memory?
--
Go to HVAC System Check (CJ2)
Refer to appropriate DTC table for diagnosis

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Disconnect the HVAC control head connector.
LH electric actuator connector still disconnected.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Use a DMM to measure the voltage between terminal 10 of the LH electric actuator connector and ground.
Is the voltage greater then the specified value?
6.0V
Go to Step 17
Go to Step 7

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Disconnect the HVAC control head connector.
Use a DMM to measure for continuity between terminal C10 of the HVAC control head connector and terminal 10 of the LH electric actuator connector.
Is the resistance between the HVAC control head connector terminal C10 and the LH electric actuator connector terminal 10 less than the specified values?
0.5ohms
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 16

Locate and repair an open or a high resistance in CKT 1791 between the LH electric actuator connector and the HVAC control head.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Locate and repair a short to battery voltage in CKT 1791 between the LH electric actuator connector and the HVAC control head.

Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Step 13

Last edited by bestvettever; 06-13-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:07 AM
99C5HT
Cruising

Thanks For All The Info ...........
Old 06-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Scott Chambers
Intermediate

I have a very simular problem in that I dont get ac or heat from the drivers side. I do have the dual zone option in mine so I get both heat and ac on the passengers side. Can I still use the above mentions steps to find the problem?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Default AC Problems

Originally Posted by Scott Chambers
I have a very simular problem in that I dont get ac or heat from the drivers side. I do have the dual zone option in mine so I get both heat and ac on the passengers side. Can I still use the above mentions steps to find the problem?
Hi, yes you can do the fuse#27 reset, which is best done with the battery connected and the switch on. If that doesn't work, you are most likely looking at either a reindexing of the dr side actuator door, or a replacement. If you turn the dr side temp all the way down to 60 does it than come out properly, that bypasses the actuator doors controls and should open them all the way, if not the door is not working.
Good Luck
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Rumrunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went thru this with my 99 ragtop. I pulled all the fuses mentioned and reset, check for codes and finally headed off to have the system evacuated and completely recharged.

The AC on the drivers side is back to ice cold as it had been in years past.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Side Ac Not Working

Quick Reply: Driver Side Ac Not Working