Sponsored by:

Magna Flow exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 AM
litpy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magna Flow exhaust

Does any one have Magna Flow exhaust? And are you satisfied with the sound and quality? I do not want to go to loud to the point that it gets annoying.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
casslaw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the magnaflow x-pipe and cat back my 00 frc. It is definitely on the quieter side of aftermarket exhausts, but the quality is top notch, and the fitment was perfect. It was a very quick install following the advice from forum members. On my car when it was stock, I liked the soud a lot. When I get it back tomorrow, I am very curious to see how it sounds with my heads and the big cam and Lt's! i would definitely recomment it.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM
litpy
Racer

That helps quite a bit. Does it still have a better sound than stock? I'm looking for something a little throatier than stock.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 AM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the Magnaflow x-pipe and cat back kit installed. Compared to the stockers it's night and day....nice sports car rumble and a little more noise when you give er the beans. My car also idles alot better now....it's smooth as silk.

I just had mine done....and I really like it....looks good, sounds good, fitment was as good as the stockers.

Keep in mind though....they're not bullets.

They are quieter then some other catbacks.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 AM
BigSexy181971
Burning Brakes

I have the straight pipe Magna exhaust with the resonators and it is definitely a lot louder then stock. I recommend at least an x pipe to get rid of the motor boat sound. The x pipe makes it sound throatier.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

I like mine ok, but I really was hoping for louder. $1K+ is alot to spend on a cat back system and I have to say I was a little dissapointed at the result. Keep in mind, I don't have any of the other goodies like an x-pipe, high flow cats, or headers. They sound good, but they don't have the noise that makes everyone look. I like an exhaust that sounds so good, it just screams muscle car and makes people look really hard to see you. I always look when I hear a nice sounding car in traffic.

I will agree with the fit and looks though. top notch in those two catagories.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
casslaw
Racer

It's hard to make an LS1 sound like a musclecar without a cam and lt's, they are just quiet motors. Other systems will be much louder and have a lot more drone, but I love the way mine sounds. It is night and day to stock, and the more I drive it, the "throatier" it gets, but I have almost no drone.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Originally Posted by casslaw
It's hard to make an LS1 sound like a musclecar without a cam and lt's, they are just quiet motors. Other systems will be much louder and have a lot more drone, but I love the way mine sounds. It is night and day to stock, and the more I drive it, the "throatier" it gets, but I have almost no drone.
I know the LS1 does not have the same sound as other V8's. I was just saying that for the money I expected a very noticable difference and I didn't get that. Maybe a different style of exhaust would have made a difference, i.e. Borla stingers.

Without getting into the whole "Corvettes cost alot more to own argument" I just expected more for the money.

I spent $250 on two flowmasters for my truck (full size chevy Z-71 with a 350), and it sounded so much better. I had to cut the cat off eventually to make it sound just like I wanted.

I was just kind of comparing the two and it looked like this:

Truck-$250 spent-awesome sound, great improvement.
Vette-$1K+ spent-a little louder, not much impovement.

I like to be able to hear the exhaust full on, but not with drone (which I know an X-pipe will fix, but I'm not spending another $300+). When I really get on my car I hear the engine and the exhaust simultaneously. It's just kind of weird. I will admit though, stock simply sucked, so if the OP has stock exhaust you will hear a difference. I also believe mine picked up about 10 or 12 HP too. That is for sure.

The only other simple fix for me to get the sound I want is cutouts, wheich are around $400-500 installed.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
casslaw
Racer

I remember a thread about a month ago that was about an "overseas" exhaust system that was definitley more cost effective and the person posted sound clips. The quality looked very good, and they raved about the sound. I would do some searching on here and attempt to find that thread. I'm sorry i can't remember the name, but the price was much lower than the Magna's and they looked great and sounded good too.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
litpy
Racer

Thanks everyone for your help and input, I think I am going to go for it, I found the cat back system for under $850.00 brand new so I think it is a deal I cannot pass up.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
c5Cruiser
Racer

Location: Corona CA - "An Armed Society is a Polite Scociety"

Here are my two cents worth. Take it or leave it.

Performance was secondary to me when I installed my Borla Stingers. I went with the Stingers not because of the performance but because of how they sounded and how the twin exahust looked out of the back. I haven't even replaced the H pipe with an X because I like the low rumbling sound it make as I come to a stop.
I even had the oppertunity to buy Magnaflows through the manufactuer (they're accross the street from where I work) and Corsa's to my ear sounded like a motorboat. Again this was to my ear so Corsa owners, don't get you panties ina a bunch.

Bottom line, It's what you like. Go to some Vette gatherings and listen to some Vettes with mods and see what YOU like.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...3&dept_id=1328

Last edited by c5Cruiser; 08-26-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: mis-spell
Old 08-26-2008, 01:26 PM
ALVETTE00
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Magnaflow Catback# 16732 on my vette. Also have the Kooks long-tubes with hi-flo cats & x-pipe.

I told the shop what I wanted and their recommendation was right on the money.

I didn't want to spend a ridulous amount of money, didn't want a raspy/crackly sound, didn't want it to sound like my 90cu. in. cruiser with straight pipes!

This system is smooth and deep with a nice rumble.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the magnaflow! Great combination of sound and quality for the price.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Kevin Conway
Instructor

Default Love it

I love the sound of my Magna Flow system. Its not to loud but has that nice V8 sound. And the quality and fit up is like no other.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
rockyjones
7th Gear

The "sound" part of adding a Magnaflow X-Pipe is it eliminates the "popping" that is produced with the stock "H-Pipe" on deceleration. Much better.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I listened to about 8 different systems on Corvettes at Carlisle on Friday. That got me really confused!!!! So i decided NOT to buy a system there and have it installed there. There is not a lot of difference between them all and I may go with the #16732 Magaflow.
There is a great local exhaust guy and I will drop in to see him Saturday.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I had the Magnaflow system on my Z when I installed the H/C. It already had headers, and an O/R X-pipe (no cats). It was very deep toned, but even with the rest of the mods, still a little too quiet. I bought a Corsa Pace Car, and it was so much louder, I ended up installing cats just to mellow it out a bit. Honestly, I liked the Magnaflow sound better, but I really wanted the Daytona tips (twin large oval) so there you go. BTW; Corsas do sound a little like motorboats, but still great.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 PM
casslaw
Racer

I am installing Dynatech LT's on my car as we speak, so if you want to get the Magnaflows, get the set without the X-pipe cause I will have a magnaflow X-pipe sitting in my garage since I am using the Dynatech. I know they charge a lot for the X-pipe, and if I can save you some money the we can do it. Oh, I found the post on the other catback system I spoke of earlier.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...727&highlight=

Last edited by casslaw; 08-27-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added a link

Get notified of new replies

To Magna Flow exhaust

Quick Reply: Magna Flow exhaust