Sponsored by:

torque vs. H.P., whats better ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:42 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default torque vs. H.P., whats better ?

OK, moving right along then, my particular Vette measures 331RWHP and 347RWTorque, would my car be faster the other way around ??

Why do some cars have HP and torque about even, some, HP is much higher than torque and others, like me the torque is higher than the HP, why the 3 different seperations, is it the tune ? Gears ?

In laymans terms, how would you define HP and then torque ? Why do I ask so many questions?
My quess is torque is better, dunno really.

Thanks,
Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully someone will chime in for ya but if you post this in the tech section....that is where the gear heads hang out
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
RespondsWithGif
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amount of hp and tq an engine has depends on how the engine is setup. If it is a high rpm engine it will have more hp than tq pretty much every time. Our engines dont rev real high so you will see the tq and hp values be about the same. All engines that rev below 5200 rpm will have more tq than hp.

As to which one is more important, it would be torque but not just torque.. it has to do with how high it revs and what the gearing is like. Gears multiply torque so you will want your gears to be as short as possible when you you accelerate (so you will have more thrust). But there is a down side to aggressive gears... if your engine does not rev high enough then you cant go too crazy with the gearing because you will be shifting too often and the terminal speed in each gear will be reduced.

Horsepower will give you the best idea on the performance of a car though. High hp and low tq cars can be geared very aggressively to make up for the lack of tq. Usually you will see cars with similar hp to weight ratios perform pretty close.

Im not real good at explaining some of this but if there is anything you want me to elaborate on let me know.

Last edited by RespondsWithGif; 10-27-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Traxx999
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP is how fast you get to the tree, Torque is how far you take it with you
Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
happa
Safety Car

Some of the reasons are cam swaps. Usually in most cases you'll get more HP than TQ with a larger cam. But if you dont like it you can always spray it (see my sig for example)
Old 10-27-2008, 05:04 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

I read an article about this a while ago. It explains how you calculate torque and horsepower. I think at like 4500rpm (somewhere around there) HP and TQ are equal. I don't remember the details, but you can just google this.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Traxx999
Lol

Torque is instantanious power. HP is power at a certain engine speed. Think of it like this:

A waterwheel creates a LOT of torque, but the speed is rather low so the HP is low

An average walk-behind mower motor spins rather quickly and has 5-7hp, but doesn't have a lot of torque to cut un-tamed grass.

Personall Tq and HP take a back seat to lbs of thrust
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
RespondsWithGif
Drifting

Originally Posted by karateboi87
I read an article about this a while ago. It explains how you calculate torque and horsepower. I think at like 4500rpm (somewhere around there) HP and TQ are equal. I don't remember the details, but you can just google this.
5252rpm

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Lol

Torque is instantanious power. HP is power at a certain engine speed. Think of it like this:

A waterwheel creates a LOT of torque, but the speed is rather low so the HP is low

An average walk-behind mower motor spins rather quickly and has 5-7hp, but doesn't have a lot of torque to cut un-tamed grass.

Personall Tq and HP take a back seat to lbs of thrust
Yep, and thrust is calculated off of tq, gearing, and tire diameter.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM
50th@50
Drifting

I was doing ok understanding but then 'thrust' entered the equation ?

THRUST, isn`t that for a jet engine ? Bubbles from the Chi-Chi Room, she has excellent thrust.

A dyno chart would show correlations at various RPM`s very well, I think.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Torque is a rotational force. It is a measurable quantity. Horsepower is a derived quantity. By definition, it is impossible to have horsepower with out torque. 1 hp = 550 ft-lbsf/sec. We can also rate our cars power using Watts...the common measure of the power of a light bulb. In fact, most European cars use the Watt as the standard measure of power in automobiles. The term horsepower gets thrown around so much it is no wonder why the confusion exists. As to which is better, the question is impossible to answer, at 5252 rpm they are equal. It depends on the application.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM
DaveK88
Burning Brakes

Not to hijack the thread, but sometimes you see just HP for horsepower and sometimes you see bhp. what dose the "B" stand for?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Horsepower...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Torque...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Torque is what you feel in your buttnometer. Horsepower is what you bench race.

BHP...
SAE gross horsepower

Prior to the 1972 model year, American automakers rated and advertised their engines in brake horsepower (bhp), frequently referred to as SAE gross horsepower because it was measured in accord with the protocols defined in SAE standards J245 and J1995. As with other brake horsepower test protocols, SAE gross hp was measured using a blueprinted test engine running on a stand with no belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, mufflers, or emission control devices and sometimes fitted with long tube "test headers" in lieu of the OEM exhaust manifolds.[citation needed] The atmospheric correction standards for barometric pressure, humidity and temperature were relatively idealistic. The resulting gross power and torque figures therefore reflected a maximum, theoretical value and not the power of an installed engine in a street car. Gross horsepower figures were also subject to considerable adjustment by the manufacturer's advertising and marketing staff under the direction of product managers.[citation needed] The power ratings of mass-market engines were often exaggerated beyond their actual gross output, while those of the highest-performance muscle car engines often tended to be closer in actual output to their advertised, gross ratings.[citation needed]

No pre-1972 engine in its unaltered, production line stock form, as installed in the vehicle, has ever yielded documented, qualified third party validated power figures that equal or exceed its original gross rating.[citation needed] Claims that such engines were "under-rated" are therefore dubious; for example, the 1969 427 ZL1 Chevrolet, rated at 430 bhp (320.7 kW), is frequently cited[who?] as an "under-rated" high performance engine, yet it produced only 376 horsepower (280 kW).[9

Last edited by hotwheels57; 10-27-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Originally Posted by 50th@50
I was doing ok understanding but then 'thrust' entered the equation ?

THRUST, isn`t that for a jet engine ? Bubbles from the Chi-Chi Room, she has excellent thrust.

A dyno chart would show correlations at various RPM`s very well, I think.
The use of thrust is not necessarily accurate in this situation. A thrust is internal to a system. Thrust is a force which acts equally and opposite a system or mass.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

There is no simple answer. It depends how YOU want to use the car. For drag racing, peak RWHP is king since you're always in the upper RPM. For overall driving, autocross and road racing, you would want a power curve that enables you to merge and come out of corners without having to rev the engine sky high or wait to make power.

This is my dyno graph. I make 380 RWT at 2200RPM and 400RWT from 3k up. Tip is is insane and I can roast the tires from just off idle. The average power is usable and a blast to drive.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Aha, so you mean like, "for very action there is an opposite and equal re-action"? Wow kinda gettin more complicated, so keeping it simple for a simpleton like me, and using Bubbles (something I am more "learned" about), she does something, a movement or sequence with more "energy" and I throw more "higher energy" money, like that or ?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
mcrams
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty accurate description, in layman's terms. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Originally Posted by 50th@50
Aha, so you mean like, "for very action there is an opposite and equal re-action"? Wow kinda gettin more complicated, so keeping it simple for a simpleton like me, and using Bubbles (something I am more "learned" about), she does something, a movement or sequence with more "energy" and I throw more "higher energy" money, like that or ?
Haha, your first part is right. I am not sure about Bubbles though.

Get notified of new replies

To torque vs. H.P., whats better ?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like that answer.

-Alex
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Torque moves mass so torque is better. Hp is a measurement of torque.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:40 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If you just give a rear wheel torque number and a rear wheel HP number then they are useless to compare to another car. You need to know the rpm at those number or even better the torque curve and rpm curve.

Torque is a force causing a rotation.
HP is the measure of how much work that torque does.

HP = Torque x rpm / 5250
1 HP = 33,000 lb-ft per minute.

A simple example - lifting a 1lb weight 33,000ft in 1 minute is 1HP of work done.

If you kept lifting for 1 minute at 0.99999lbs of force so didn't actually move the weight then you would have done no work - 0 HP.

The important parts;

If the torque is the same and the rpm goes up then the HP is greater. Many people say torque gets you out of the hole and HP is the top end acceleration but that's not really true. It's just that the torque is always greater than the HP below 5250 rpm. Simple math. Many people wrongly think that since torque is a greater number it must have a greater effect on acceleration down low.

The most available rear wheel HP over the operating range of the engine will make the car accelerate the quickest. You could have a low revving high torque engine or a high revving low torque engine and still achieve the same basic goal. It all depends on the torque curve, gears and such how that torque is converted to rear wheel horsepower.

This is the reason you want to get the engine up in rpm at the top of it's power band. Sure, the LSx engines have a nice flat torque curve but with a completely flat torque curve you always have more HP at a higher rpm. So, get the rpm up and the car accelerates quicker. Gears allow you to do this. A nice spread between gears helps too. The new cars with the CVT (continually variable transmissions) should in theory accelerate better because the engine can be put at the rpm where the best power transfer to the ground occurs.

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
Torque moves mass so torque is better. Hp is a measurement of torque.
Not true. HP and torque are not measuring the same thing.

Peter

Quick Reply: torque vs. H.P., whats better ?