problem after my Install locking

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default problem after my Install locking

hey guys please do not flame me. I read the pretty much all the colum lock FAQ

I am currently deployed and i had my shop install the SC kit after i got the mail order tune from Andy they started the car and all is good but when they try to drive it it turns off at 1mph they are getting the colum lock message.

my questions is If i get the CLB right now will that do anything . Also is there naything i can do to fix it without taking to dealer. I read that dealer does not do any more Column lock issues.

Does anyone know in EFI live where it is to change the fuel turn off.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
yamahajo
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10,-'13
I believe in the Beer Fairy

If you figure it out let me know - I've been having the same problem for nearly a year now.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yamahajo
If you figure it out let me know - I've been having the same problem for nearly a year now.
is your steering colum locked..

The guys at the shop keep sayin that mine is not locked car just turns off when MPH is registered.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

well let me help you both out....I been down this road and read a lot on it.

First off, your car has already been serviced by GM, that's why you don't have your column locking up and your car is shutting off at 1-2 mph. This is standard "column lock fixing" procedure for GM. They do all sorts of different things depending on how many times they have had it and who performed the recall procedure. GM usually cuts the fuel after the first recall procedure has failed and the car has been brought back to them. Its sort of a safeguard as GM has no current solution to this problem. They simply bubblegum it. In your EFI program you won't be able to turn off or on the fuel. You have to find the field that raises the fuel cutoff. Change it to 255mph or however high it will go. Once you get the fuel set to not cut off...I would recommend removing the K harness or whatever GM has done to your car. Get it back to stock then get the CLB and install it! That should get you all straightened out and not having any other problems in the future. The key is to remove all the crap GM has done, then install the CLB, and then raise the fuel cutoff. You can get the CLB from the guys at Corvettes of Dallas....ask for Todd....tell him the forum sent you! He will get you all set and offers great customer support should you have any questions at all.

This is Todd's information for Corvettes of Dallas:

Todd Fitzerman - Owner
Corvettes of Dallas
1810 North I-35E
Carrollton, Texas 75006
1-866-689-8388 -- Toll Free
972-242-7665 -- Dealership
214-202-0222 -- Cell
corvettesofdallas.com --- website
todd@corvettesofdallas.com --- e-mail address

Last edited by XtremeVette; 11-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:31 PM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

thanks I already ordered it I hope this fixes it. I need to find the field on the efi live now can anyone helpppp

can someoen post pics of K harness
Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
yamahajo
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10,-'13
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I've already got the CLB installed.....still get fuel shutoff 90% of the times I start it. Column originally locked up in January, and dealership told me no recall was issued.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:02 AM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

can someone post pictures of the K harness that has to be removed.

thank you,

Ed
Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Here's the harness K that I installed 3 years ago. Still no problems. There is a relay underneath that foam rubber. It came that way. If you have one installed, you will probably find that only one of it's leads are connected. The one that goes to the steering column lock should not be connected. It is connected when you first install it so that the lock can be unlocked. Once unlocked you disconnect it. From that point on the relay takes the place of the column lock. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Stock Man; 11-20-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

thanks I can't see the pic but that is prob cuz im on DOD computer
Old 11-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by dsmlights
thanks I can't see the pic but that is prob cuz im on DOD computer
I can see it so I guess you are right.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

I've already got the CLB installed.....still get fuel shutoff 90% of the times I start it. Column originally locked up in January, and dealership told me no recall was issued.
Jodi, I would get a second opinion on the "no recall was issued" comment. If you know anybody who has a program, get them to scan your car. If you are shutting off when you get a "service column lock" message on the DIC, someone has gone in and re-flashed your car. Its usually GM that does this. They change the parameters of the fuel cutoff and set it to 2 mph. This is not the stock setting on the C5's. GM does this as a rule to avoid a customer suing them for not following the safety regulations placed upon GM. The NSAA (I forget the actually name of the organization) states that measures must be taking by the manufacturer to ensure the safety of the driver and or passenger for GM not being able to effectively fix the problem. GM's solution to this: cut the fuel when the error is detected/shown on the DIC.

Either way someone has tampered with you car and changed the fuel to cutoff. The only way to fix it would be to raise the fuel cutoff to be as high as you can go (usually 255mph in the re-programs such as HP Tuners). NOTE: only do this if your steering wheel currently does not lock at all. I am assuming it does not since you said you have a CLB already installed.

Hope this helps Jodi....look forward to seeing you and the rest of the pack in the springtime at the car show.

Jeff
Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Raise the EFI Cut off as stated above!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Ryan040675
Instructor

I had the exact same problem word for word. My K-harness failed and was causing me to go into fuel cutoff. I have a 00 w/6spd and all 3 recalls were performed. As soon as I yanked the K harness it fired right up. I ordered up and installed a CLB just to be safe though. After a little further research, I found there was actually a 2nd relay GM installed in addition to the K harnss over on the BCM in the passenger's footwell area. I yanked that baby out too. Now I am totally bypassing the actuator in the steering wheel, so as long as my CLB doesn't crap out I should be good. FYI the K-harness is a foam padded relay with 2 groups of wires loomed together coming out of one end. If you remove the knee bolster, you will find it zip tied to the under dash frame to the far left under the steering wheel. It's up a bit from the rest of the wiring harness kind of on its own. Once you pull it, reconnect the two ends of the harness it connects to back together until you get your CLB.

*If you have HP Tuners, you can program out the fuel cutoff by going into:Sytem/general/Fail Fuel Cut VSS and raise the speed to like 250 MPH. Definitely don't do this if you still have the lock plate in your steering wheel. This is only something you want to do if your wheel CAN NOT lock up.

Keep in mind that even with a 100% working CLB, you can still get the fuel cutoff syndrome. It will occur with the "PULL KEY WAIT 10 SECONDS" message as well. I had that happen a couple times too, If you get a dirty resistor pellet in your key, it can throw that same code and leave you sitting just like the service column lock message. When it happened to me, I just pulled fuse 25 in the BCM to reset it, and I was fine.
Yamaha Jo, are you getting the pull key wait 10 seconds or the service column lock message? If it's the key message, might want to look into getting a new key/ignition switch to solve your problem.

Last edited by Ryan040675; 11-20-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had my car 6 to 8 mo. How can I tell if my column lock has been fixed or not?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:21 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2EZ 2SPD
I have only had my car 6 to 8 mo. How can I tell if my column lock has been fixed or not?
The easiest and best way to answer your question is to actually rephrase it first. For this problem to be fixed the best it can be....you have to do everything listed above. Now if you consider a fix to be what GM has been doing well that's a whole new can of worms (of which I don't recommend). The only way your are going to know for sure the status of your car is to physically look at the locations where GM would change things. This includes as stated above, behind the drivers side knee bolster (so that your looking right at the steering column) and on the passenger side....behind the kickpanel where your feet go. In addition to this, its a toss up....you can either throw a CLB in it (after you have removed any crap GM has put in) and hope it works out or you can have your car scanned and if necessary raise the fuel cutoff to set your mind at ease. Again you would only be raising this fuel cutoff if you have no locking plate on your car and the car's steering will not lock at all.

If you need pictures or more help just run a search on "service column lock"....there are plenty of posts out there and some contain pictures of what your looking for.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:25 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
The easiest and best way to answer your question is to actually rephrase it first. For this problem to be fixed the best it can be....you have to do everything listed above. Now if you consider a fix to be what GM has been doing well that's a whole new can of worms (of which I don't recommend). The only way your are going to know for sure the status of your car is to physically look at the locations where GM would change things. This includes as stated above, behind the drivers side knee bolster (so that your looking right at the steering column) and on the passenger side....behind the kickpanel where your feet go. In addition to this, its a toss up....you can either throw a CLB in it (after you have removed any crap GM has put in) and hope it works out or you can have your car scanned and if necessary raise the fuel cutoff to set your mind at ease. Again you would only be raising this fuel cutoff if you have no locking plate on your car and the car's steering will not lock at all.

If you need pictures or more help just run a search on "service column lock"....there are plenty of posts out there and some contain pictures of what your looking for.

Great information
Old 11-21-2008, 01:28 PM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

does anyone know how to raise the fuel cut off with efi live and or Hp tuners. I looked in efi live and found the cells for column lock but nothing on how to raise the fuel cut off.

Get notified of new replies

To problem after my Install locking

Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIKE-C5
Great information
Thanks XtremeVette
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Ryan040675
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsmlights
does anyone know how to raise the fuel cut off with efi live and or Hp tuners. I looked in efi live and found the cells for column lock but nothing on how to raise the fuel cut off.

*If you have HP Tuners, you can program out the fuel cutoff by going into:Sytem/general/Fail Fuel Cut VSS and raise the speed to like 250 MPH. Definitely don't do this if you still have the lock plate in your steering wheel. This is only something you want to do if your wheel CAN NOT lock up.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:22 AM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ryan040675
do you know how to do it with Efi <LIVE

Quick Reply: problem after my Install locking