Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Essentials Interiors? Please post them!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,576 Likes on 663 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I think the "ease" of dealing with these companies is a big deal also. I've already spoken with Matt of VE and he was extremely helpful. Their website is easy to navigate and get ideas from and they can match the interior color to a tee. I have the shale interior in my 04' and I don't see many vendors matching the color combo I want, let alone the beautiful way that VE can do it. As soon as I saw this:
I was in LOVE.

Choreo, you mentioned using "steam" on the leather. Could you please elaborate on that. How did you do that? Thanks.

Last edited by Shirl; 12-14-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Choreo
Since I live in Texas, I have no experience with any installers in Florida.

For the Steering Wheel, most dealerships will do the install for between $50-$80 (mine charged $80). Even VE recommends having a dealer do that swap since both the air bag is involved as well as many pulling units break an arm during removal (mine broke two of their arms before it came loose). Since my dealer used Snap-On they replaced the tools at no charge to the dealer.

As far as seat installation, of course you can always have someone else do it, but I would not hesitate to try it yourself. VE has great detailed instructions. In my case, I just used plenty of steam and took it slow. Don't be afraid to reposition velcro, etc. until it looks right. Other than just not paying attention, there are only two ways a VE interior will have wrinkles IMO, (1) not replacing old worn out foam pads and (2) not pulling everything progressively tight (using steam if needed).

There are some pic of VE CF Leather visors in my original response in this thread - however, as a general rule VE does not actually offer visors on their site. They made an exception in my case since I had them do everything else, but you would just have to ask them if they have time. They CAN do them, but apparently do not want to do them as a regular offering.

Thanks. I really like your carbon-fiber look. I have a MSG verte and I'm desiging a red/black leather theme and I am considering a black carbon fiber look texture to match with the red leather trim.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

BTW, I think VE was running a recent promo that offered new seat foam with any seat order.*
Old 12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirl
Choreo, you mentioned using "steam" on the leather. Could you please elaborate on that. How did you do that? Thanks.
I used an upright steamer similar to this :
http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=C...N-GS10&sc=FRGL

You need to steam the foam padding thoroughly - especially if you are trying to reuse previous padding - to remove any indentations and fluff it up. They recommend that you place new leather seat covers in a plastic bag (like a garbage bag) and let them sit in the sun for a while prior to installation as well. I used steam on the back side of the covers as I was putting them on just to help conform them to the padding as I proceeded. As the moisture evaporates the leather will slightly shrink a bit tighter to the foam. Then in some stubborn places I used steam on the outside VERY CAREFULLY to help things along.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Choreo
I used an upright steamer similar to this :
http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=C...N-GS10&sc=FRGL

You need to steam the foam padding thoroughly - especially if you are trying to reuse previous padding - to remove any indentations and fluff it up. They recommend that you place new leather seat covers in a plastic bag (like a garbage bag) and let them sit in the sun for a while prior to installation as well. I used steam on the back side of the covers as I was putting them on just to help conform them to the padding as I proceeded. As the moisture evaporates the leather will slightly shrink a bit tighter to the foam. Then in some stubborn places I used steam on the outside VERY CAREFULLY to help things along.
Thanks. So how long would you say the entire installation took for both seats?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirl
Thanks. So how long would you say the entire installation took for both seats?
For me (first time doing this) it wiped out a full Saturday for both seats - at least 8 hours.

Having a good place to work as cuss helps!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by fireman591
Look at post #10 on the link below

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...s-options.html

Now compare that fit to most of the VE seats on this thread and be honest.Post #13 on this thread is the only one with a almost wrinkle free fit.

Post #10 has a great fit with little wrinkles, while most of the seats on this thread have a very loose fit. Is this because of bad foam,bad install or just bad luck? let me know because I will be doing my seats soon and want a wrinkle free fit like the post#10 on the above link. And that set is less than $1000.00 http://www.alknochinteriors.com/welcome.htm
After many posts by you it appears you want "Cadillac" quality at VW prices.

Please - go with Knoch. Appears you are already shilling for him

Post back here after a couple of years on the quality and long term wear of his products

Then, spend the coin for VE.

What has not been mentioned in this post:

VE leather quality is great - when you take off the OEM covers and compare the depth of the VE leather to those you will be amazed at the additional leather.

VE interiors are on many Vettes (many on this Forum) - some, like mine are, respectfully 5 and 10 years old - no issues.

Last - if the seat foam is 'old' - spend the coin to replace it - this will allow the VE seat covers, which are manufactures to FACTORY specs, to fit as they should. Also - use air heat to 'mold' the covers to the seat foam.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Big Phil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet interiors everybody!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 PM
TomBoy
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The best there is EVER! This includes quality, customer service, investment for your car, and complete satifaction! We love you Matt and Sandy!
Matt delivered my seats from Michigan to Ohio here. Have a few pics of one seat he installed for me to the final install my husband did.
Laurie

Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AC54ME
After many posts by you it appears you want "Cadillac" quality at VW prices.

Please - go with Knoch. Appears you are already shilling for him

Post back here after a couple of years on the quality and long term wear of his products

Then, spend the coin for VE.

What has not been mentioned in this post:

VE leather quality is great - when you take off the OEM covers and compare the depth of the VE leather to those you will be amazed at the additional leather.

VE interiors are on many Vettes (many on this Forum) - some, like mine are, respectfully 5 and 10 years old - no issues.

Last - if the seat foam is 'old' - spend the coin to replace it - this will allow the VE seat covers, which are manufactures to FACTORY specs, to fit as they should. Also - use air heat to 'mold' the covers to the seat foam.

I have never in any of my posts recommended any vendor. I do think the install on Choreo's seats is perfect. and I posted the link to knoch for more info and pictures if anyone was interested.

I live 70 miles from VE and know their products are top notch.

So to Shirl (the original poster) as you can see from the pics that are posted, install is very important. If you are going to dish out $2000.00 for some seat hides make sure you find an installer that can get them to fit like Choreo's. Otherwise your seats will look like a Shar Pei with lots of wrinkles
Don't get me wrong, all of the interiors posted on this thread are awesome compared to stock. I would love a set of VE covers wrinkled or not. I can't wait to get mine done someday

Last edited by fireman591; 12-15-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
runoo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are the man on ur interior whats the price range on doing your interior
Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by runoo
you are the man on ur interior whats the price range on doing your interior

? you lost most of us
Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TomBoy
The best there is EVER! This includes quality, customer service, investment for your car, and complete satifaction! We love you Matt and Sandy!
Matt delivered my seats from Michigan to Ohio here. Have a few pics of one seat he installed for me to the final install my husband did.
Laurie

I was waiting for pics of this beautiful car..... Thanks for posting!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 PM
yelloyello
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 6-7, 9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by fireman591
Since you decided to use my pic in your post, why didn't you include my comment that went along with it?? If my recollection is correct, I did mention the wrinkles on day one of the install, and since then it has been corrected. Also, the customer service is incredible, I challenge all of our vendors to provide the quality of products that VE makes and stands behind 100%. Either way, it seems as if you have a major issue with the dollar amount. Good luck with what ever your choice is.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 PM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yelloyello
Since you decided to use my pic in your post, why didn't you include my comment that went along with it?? If my recollection is correct, I did mention the wrinkles on day one of the install, and since then it has been corrected. Also, the customer service is incredible, I challenge all of our vendors to provide the quality of products that VE makes and stands behind 100%. Either way, it seems as if you have a major issue with the dollar amount. Good luck with what ever your choice is.
Sorry Yelloyello I missed the part about the wrinkles coming out when they warmed up

If possible would you post some pics without the wrinkles?

I was just doing a side by side comparison. I have seen the same loose fit with VE covers that have been on for years. I am glad you were able to get the wrinkles out.Your covers look awesome. All I know is I am not going to tackle the cover install myself. I will leave that up to VE or someone who does it for a living.

As far as the dollar amount goes, I just don't want my seats to look wrinkled if I spend that kind of dough. I most likely will go with VE but I will be up front with them when I drop my seats off that wrinkles are not an option Anyone that knows me knows that I spend lots of dough on my toys. I just want perfection when it comes to the Vette I am just lucky to have VE so close to my house. NO CORE CHARGES
Have a good one and post some pics of the tight seats
Old 05-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Lil Blue Coupe
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

another Vette Essentials Happy Camper here

after many months contemplating who, what & where, I finally pulled the trigger... my new seat covers from Sandy at VE arrived Wed and got them covered yesterday by a local installer

I've never replaced seats on a car before so this was a fun experience and Sandy made it easy, top shelf customer service sure.

the sun came out today so I popped the roof off and took it for its first drive...

wow, what a change! new foam, new leather, reeeally happy. I wasn't sure if the two toned colors would match the 2004 Commemorative Edition coupe interior and well, I think its spot on

of course these are some quickie iPhone pics but you get the overall sense of how nice they are... looks nice and great quality

bought this coupe in Feb '05 and it had 12k on it...its my DD year round... odometer reads 129,780 today, looking forward to many more fun miles

oh and the C5 Z06 Ti exhaust I bought from another member the other day will be here soon enough, and I ordered my leather wrapped visors in the darker 'neutral' color from Adrian, oh boy oh boy! can't wait!

-Mark
Attached Images       
Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

This is an 8+ year old thread. Closing it down.

Quick Reply: Vette Essentials Interiors? Please post them!