car color and speeding tickets

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
I've got nothing against C6s. However, the same reflector that makes those headlights work so well will reflect radar better than the C5 (with headlights down.) Those clear plastic fairings over the C6 lights are also pretty much transparent to radar signals, so they are of no help in scattering the signal. The reflectors on a C5 are pointed down in the retracted position, which will tend to reflect and scatter the radar signals downward. When the lights are up, the reflection would be more parallel to the ground (i.e. back towards the nice officer.) Until radar waves start acting like air molecules, Cd has very little to do with stealth. Look at an F117. A less aerodynamic modern fighter has probably never been made, but boy, try to pin down one of those buggers on the scope.

Not sure what you mean by "C5 would have larger gaps between the hood and headlights and that Front plate cover." None of that plastic is going to reflect radar too well, unless it has a metallic coating, like the headlight reflectors. On vettes of all varieties, it's the underlying structure (radiator, engine, frame, etc) that's responsible for most of the radar reflection. Obviously, a lot less than a steel or aluminum bodied car, hence better "stealth" characteristics against radar.
thank you my point exactly it has nothing to do with aerodynamics.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ksvette74
it may take a bit longer, but laser can pinpoint its spot. They show the distance the car is to the 1/10 of a foot even. They can use it from far enough away that even if it takes a second to lock on (which is a long time for a laser) you still won't know about it.
Yeah, because I'm the only car on the road...

I've picked up pigs far before they have gotten me because they hit the car in front. Saved me a lot of speeding tickets.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,574 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Drewstein

I've picked up pigs far before they have gotten me because they hit the car in front. Saved me a lot of speeding tickets.
Pigs huh
Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein

maybe with normal radar. not with laser. Ive used it. If the officer is trying, he can hit you from a far greater distance then you are going to spot him from. depends on what is in the are, what cover he has, where he is hiding the car at, etc. If he is even using a car (we have put people out of cars, radio contact with officer in a car furhter up the road) some places use motorcycles (good luck). Also, your use of slang for someone you may need to save your rear end someday amuses me. But don't worry, when you have a problem, we will be there to help you, even if you don't deserve it.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Pigs huh
A little ribbing is always in order.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Roger Z06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they caught me Electron Blue Z06 and my friend Black Z06 at about 122 .... but besides that ticket/jailtime I have never been ticketed... granted I have been pulled over around 21 times and searched twice.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Roger Z06
Drifting

Its tough being 20 in a C5 Z06 that i BOUGHT MYSELF .... I hate that so much... everyone thinks my "daddy gave it to me" I say they should tell the bank to stop withdrawing 600 each month.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

well, I understand your frustation, but will save search & seizure for another thread. More ofthen than not, people allow themselves to be searched when they have the right not too.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Nepthalim
Racer

As a police officer, or a pig, however you wish to refer to me as. I think it is hysterical to read all the that you guys have post in this thread
Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Nepthalim
As a police officer, or a pig, however you wish to refer to me as. I think it is hysterical to read all the that you guys have post in this thread
Including the "laser radar" description.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Nepthalim
I'm a retired pig I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'm a retired pig I couldn't agree with you more.
Kind of reminds me of the time I was driving on route 113 right near Gratersford State Prison. Going around a bend the car in front of me hit a full grown (four legged) pig. It got their attention big time when I called 911 and reported pig was hit and was laying on the road.

But to the officers on this list does color make a difference???

Last edited by Blue Lightening; 01-13-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,574 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Blue Lightening
Kind of reminds me of the time I was driving on route 113 right near Gratersford State Prison. Going around a bend the car in front of me hit a full grown (four legged) pig. It got there attention big time when I called 911 and reported pig was hit and was laying on the road.

But to the officers on this list does color make a difference???
Color means nothing. The radar readout means everything. Incidentally, I never wrote a Corvette in 26 years of police work.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

I agree, but have written a corvette in a lot less than 26 years (more like 7 for me). As far as the Laser radar description, I beleive that was mine. Didn't mean to make it confusing as they are two completly diffrent things. But, to normal people, there radar detector detects laser as well (when they are already caught, usually) so it was more to clarify for them. Will never put those two words together again as I don't wish to offend anyone.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting to hear all the officer opinions here.

-
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by capevettes
Color means nothing. The radar readout means everything. Incidentally, I never wrote a Corvette in 26 years of police work.
If memory serves me correct, I only wrote the driver of a Corvette once during my 34 year career. Had he not been intoxicated and tried to take off on me, he probably wouldn't have gotten any tickets.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

I remember one time I was driving down I 81 in NY State. I was passing a car as I came to the crest of a hill. As I crested the hill I could see a grey car sitting in the median with the passenger side window open and what initially looked to me like a rifle pointing in my direction. My first instinct was to swerve right which I did just a little bit before I realized it was a Laser and stopped swerving. If I had continued swerving I probably would have run the guy next to me off the road. Could have been an interesting headline though. Laser speed trap causes accident. As it was my cruise was set at the speed limit which meant I was probably a few mph less than the limit so nothing happened.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To car color and speeding tickets

Old 01-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Riley P
Racer

Yes, very good to have the officers on here sharing their ideas/opioins/knowledge. Now, for some more rumored stuff, I heard that if I was going to speed, to do it on a busy highway, because cars in front of you get hit with the laser, it defracts and your laser detector can pick this up and warn you to slow down.

My biggest problem is being told that the best time to speed is on a busy road as I only get the urge when the road is wide open and clear. Boo-urns.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been stopped by a cop for going 4mph over. Funny how that happens when I drive the Corvette but when it was in any other car I could go at least 10mph over whether it was TX or OK and the cops not look twice. Funny how these things work huh?

-Alex
Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
paullywalnuts
Pro

ksvette74...um..where are you getting this information about human eyes' incapabilities? And the statement about the officer having to identify the vehicle after the Radar displays a speed is untrue..The speed is visually estimated first..Then the Radar just confirms what the officers' visual estimation was. The officer doesnt assign a speeding number to a car. It's always visual estimation, the release of the signal (Laser,Radar) then emission of a target speed within the units HUD for the LEO to see (confirmation)..It's called "tracking history". And vehicle shape does not come into play..The only things that affect Radar signals are reflection, refraction, and absorption. It's usually other elements other than the targeted vehicle that interfere with the R signal returning to the unit.

Today's free lesson in Law Enforcement brought to you by...Paullywalnuts.

Quick Reply: car color and speeding tickets