Shocking news for owners/potential owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by karateboi87
As a matter of fact, I'd never agree with a few recent new accounts that have been posting about "prices" in the for-sale section. I'm not one of them. If I don't agree with a price, I simply move on. Would you like to PM the sellers that I've talked to? Ask any of them if I ever complained like "dude your price is ****ing high, drop it by $20K". I had good experiences chatting with sellers. They're respectful. Even if we don't make a deal, I don't regret talking to them.

I stand behind my words that all the good deals I found were at dealerships. This is from my 2 months of research. Read my WTB ad in for-sale. I posted several examples of dealerships cars. If you find any private deals that are better than the dealership cars, show me. I'll gladly consider them. Why would I buy at dealership (more taxes, more fees) if I can find the same car from private sellers?

I'd never lie to low-ball someone. All the stuff I list are facts. I know I'm young but I try my best not to be ignorant. If you show me what you're saying is right, I'll listen.

Honestly I just expect people to show a little more respect than to say "you just can't afford it". I know you didn't say it, and I'm not attacking anyone in particular here. I'm only shocked by those words. I believe most corvette owners are well educated and well mannered (at least 99% of the ones I've seen so far).

I'm not trying to keep making posts to annoy anyone. I simply run into confusion and have questions every now and then as I go into vette hunting. I don't see what's the big deal. I'd gladly help others as they've helped me. If you don't want to read them or help, then move on. It's a rule that in for-sale section that if you have nothing positive to add to the thread, don't post. I think it should be applied here as well.

Anyway, I've said too much. Have a nice weekend to all those that are reading.
Okay -- I read your original WTB post. I had a few minutes this morning and found a few NON DEALER cars near you using your parameters. Autotrader: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1232207784161

The asking prices might seem high but I would bet big bucks both were anally cared for and much more satisfying than any dealer car at a similar price. IMHO the red one is a $15K-$16K car and the silver one about $17K or so.

Have you called these owners yet? If so did they come off as knowledgeable and trustworthy? Do they have any wiggle room? (The silver one is VERY tempting.) Your posts have proven you are smart enough to know that it's not all about price.

I really want to hear back about these 2, because if I were looking and had your budget and location I believe one of them would be mine this week.

Oh, and just for kicks 2 more on Cars.com (third is a dealer -- don't know how it got past my screen). Same deal.

Tell all 4 you are buying the best deal within one week and let 'em bid for your business. I'd bet you'll get one low enough to deal with the mod bug if it strikes.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/search...1&aff=national

You've already probably missed a minimum 20 or so great driving days the last 2 months. Don't miss any more...I promise this is my last post. If you don't buy one of these you don't want a Vette badly enough.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Argent C5
Okay -- I read your original WTB post. I had a few minutes this morning and found a few NON DEALER cars near you using your parameters. Autotrader: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1232207784161

The asking prices might seem high but I would bet big bucks both were anally cared for and much more satisfying than any dealer car at a similar price. IMHO the red one is a $15K-$16K car and the silver one about $17K or so.

Have you called these owners yet? If so did they come off as knowledgeable and trustworthy? Do they have any wiggle room? (The silver one is VERY tempting.) Your posts have proven you are smart enough to know that it's not all about price.

I really want to hear back about these 2, because if I were looking and had your budget and location I believe one of them would be mine this week.

Oh, and just for kicks 2 more on Cars.com (third is a dealer -- don't know how it got past my screen). Same deal.

Tell all 4 you are buying the best deal within one week and let 'em bid for your business. I'd bet you'll get one low enough to deal with the mod bug if it strikes.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/search...1&aff=national

You've already probably missed a minimum 20 or so great driving days the last 2 months. Don't miss any more...I promise this is my last post. If you don't buy one of these you don't want a Vette badly enough.
I don't remember the exact ones I posted but they're not on auto traders as far as I remember. Try yahoo autos (I think they're from cars.com though, it has the logo).

The GM certified 04 with 56K was sold at $19,500 (I believe, because the last offer dealer made to me was $19.5K then he sold it about a week later)

I might have mentioned two more 04's but they were out in California, and these ones were sold within a month (after I spotted them I don't know how long they were posted).

As far as private deals, if I can get a GM certified 04 with 56K for $19.5K, why would I pay $19K for an 01 with 54K?

Again, I'm not bashing any sellers. Hopefully none of those "I-want-to-pay-every-dollar-possible_ guys will come in and accuse me of some crime. My comparison makes perfect sense. Anyone who thinks rationally would come up with the same conclusion. As a matter of fact, that silver one might be the one on the forum. I've spoken to the seller. We both understand each other's perspective/situation, and it was a pleasant experience. We simply couldn't agree on a number. This is what buying/selling should be.

The red one is even less of an option. $19K for a 98 with 46K miles.

If you remember a thread I made earlier about "finally purchasing a vette" I have changed my mind and is still CONSIDERING. The reason is, the dealer sent me photos. It was an 01 with 20K for $18K, but it didn't look like it was very well taken care of. The seats are showing wear as if it's a 50K car, and the tires are original and will probably need to be replaced. $18K would be a deal if the car is in 20K mile shape. I would've put down a deposit already.

Lastly, I don't NEED a vette this moment. I'm spending my money wisely on the right one. I'm not looking to rip someone off, nor do I want to get ripped off. And so far I'm actually enjoying the vette hunting. I don't have a problem waiting a couple more months if that's what it takes. Thanks for your kind response. I appreciate that very much. As always, let me know if you see anything good.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

I lied -- I gotta reply to your last post.

You are totally not reading many of these posts carefully. My latest is just one example: I never said you should pay the asking price for any of those cars. You are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you don't call them and start the process -- they are all within an easy drive for you and a buddy to pick up if you chose to buy one. I would agree that paying $19K for an '01 vs. $19.5 for the certified '04 with the same mileage PROBABLY does not make sense (I say PROBABLY because the '01 I pointed out has some tasty value-added mods that are worth something, and the GM certification is not nearly as useful to you as a BMW or Mercedes certification -- the horror stories in here about GM service departments ought to clue you into that).

My challenge was simple -- call the 4 cars I found for you and see how low you can get them. I bet that silver '01 will go for about $17K -- and if it is as nice and well kept as it looks, the buyer of that car will have many happy miles behind the wheel while you are still over-analyzing this...

How about you make those calls and prove I'm wrong

Finally, take a look at the car I'm driving (my pictures and profile). It's a '99 for $14.5K with 73K miles and about $4K of very well-conceived mods/updates that make it an absolute joy to drive. I walked from a $15K 2000 in perfect condition with 56K miles to buy this car. One month and NO issues at all. Today, and I am serious, I would not trade it even-up for that '01 with 54K miles -- that's how good I know it is. I was 90% sure when I spoke with the seller and 100% sure when I went to pick it up. Unless you knew the mileage and year, you'd swear it's an '04 with maybe 30K miles and a really spry engine. My point is it's MUCH more about the owner than anything else. Picky is fine -- not calling because the asking price is too high, and avoiding private owners because those on the Forum tend to overvalue their cars, is just gonna keep you out of the seat.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-17-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Low Ufo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=karateboi87;1568564304(2) My concern was if I buy a car now it'll lose $8K in 1 year, I might as well wait 1 year. [/QUOTE]

This may be true, but to look at it another way - you will have one year's worth of driving entertainment. For example: I bought a 65" LCD TV a couple of years ago - they are now selling for $2000 less than I paid. Am I upset? Heck no! I've enjoyed a monster TV for 2 years.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Argent C5
I lied -- I gotta reply to your last post.

You are totally not reading many of these posts carefully. My latest is just one example: I never said you should pay the asking price for any of those cars. You are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you don't call them and start the process -- they are all within an easy drive for you and a buddy to pick up if you chose to buy one. I would agree that paying $19K for an '01 vs. $19.5 for the certified '04 with the same mileage PROBABLY does not make sense (I say PROBABLY because the '01 I pointed out has some tasty value-added mods that are worth something, and the GM certification is not nearly as useful to you as a BMW or Mercedes certification -- the horror stories in here about GM service departments ought to clue you into that).

My challenge was simple -- call the 4 cars I found for you and see how low you can get them. I bet that silver '01 will go for about $17K -- and if it is as nice and well kept as it looks, the buyer of that car will have many happy miles behind the wheel while you are still over-analyzing this...

How about you make those calls and prove I'm wrong

Finally, take a look at the car I'm driving (my pictures and profile). It's a '99 for $14.5K with 73K miles and about $4K of very well-conceived mods/updates that make it an absolute joy to drive. I walked from a $15K 2000 in perfect condition with 56K miles to buy this car. One month and NO issues at all. Today, and I am serious, I would not trade it even-up for that '01 with 54K miles -- that's how good I know it is. I was 90% sure when I spoke with the seller and 100% sure when I went to pick it up. Unless you knew the mileage and year, you'd swear it's an '04 with maybe 30K miles and a really spry engine. My point is it's MUCH more about the owner than anything else. Picky is fine -- not calling because the asking price is too high, and avoiding private owners because those on the Forum tend to overvalue their cars, is just gonna keep you out of the seat.
I'm not avoiding. I did PM a few and I am in the process of e-mailing/calling owners. Sorry I just didn't post this up so you don't know about that.

I was just stating that if that 01 is what I'm thinking of, the price is firm. That's why I said it's too high.

I'm glad you enjoy the 99, but don't you feel that the 01 with the updates are better? That's primiarily why I'm going for 01 and up..

Speaking of which, I did see an 00 with 47K go for $15K. If only it was an 01...

Keep searching for me though..

Quick Reply: Shocking news for owners/potential owners