Sponsored by:

Tinting a coupe's rear window

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Tinting a coupe's rear window

Has anyone scraped off those black bumps on the inside at the top of the rear window before it being tinted? Is that possible? I was thinking it could be with one of those razor scrapers if done carefully so as not to scratch the window. This should allow the tint film to adhere to the glass much better. I know it would be a PITA job to do but if it made the tint look better, I'd be willing to put in the effort to do it.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Noel@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Has anyone scraped off those black bumps on the inside at the top of the rear window before it being tinted? Is that possible? I was thinking it could be with one of those razor scrapers if done carefully so as not to scratch the window. This should allow the tint film to adhere to the glass much better. I know it would be a PITA job to do but if it made the tint look better, I'd be willing to put in the effort to do it.
It's baked into the glass, it's not coming off. We are very successful in tinting the matrix without the "blotching" look. Were are you located?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
gman31
Instructor

Just had mine done a few months ago. My tinter used the elmers glue on the matrix and it came out perfect. He was the only one I could find in my area who used the glue. Most wanted to sand it or just tint right over it.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Scoops03
Instructor

i had mine done in NC...and what they did to get aroudn that, was take black vinyl down to the bottom of those "bumps" .... when you look out the rear view mirror, you see very little of the vinyl too....also on my rear window i have 15% ... so it blends very well

Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
fullforce1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scoops03
i had mine done in NC...and what they did to get aroudn that, was take black vinyl down to the bottom of those "bumps" .... when you look out the rear view mirror, you see very little of the vinyl too....also on my rear window i have 15% ... so it blends very well

Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 PM
CLEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

The key to working with the matrix is spending time on it. Most just slap the tint on and get the car out of the shop. If someone took the time and pushed the air/water out from around the matix dots, there would be no problem. Hint, get your windows tinted and if there is white around the matrix get back there yourself and rub around the dots with your thumb or a credit card and it can be perfect.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Scoops03
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLEAR
The key to working with the matrix is spending time on it. Most just slap the tint on and get the car out of the shop. If someone took the time and pushed the air/water out from around the matix dots, there would be no problem. Hint, get your windows tinted and if there is white around the matrix get back there yourself and rub around the dots with your thumb or a credit card and it can be perfect.

I can tell you from many tries at rubbing those out....they are essentially bumps on the glass...you are never going to get all the air out of there...you will save yourself A LOT of frustration and trips back to the shop to try and get those "bubbles" out if you just put the vinyl over it nice and tight. The place I had it done, they are VERYYY good at tinting, and this was the only 100% way to get it looking real smooth, as if the matrix wasn't even there.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 PM
CLEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I have had extremely good luck pressing the tint down around the matrix myself after shops didnt take the time. Usually within 2 days of being tinted.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 AM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

My tinter said he could either put black vinyl over it or tint it. I would just make sure that your tinter has tinted over the matrix area you certainly don't want your car to be his first time!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I masked off my matrix and painted the inside of the glass with Krylon Black Glass Paint from ACE Hardware about 2 years ago prior to tinting - looks factory.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Choreo
I masked off my matrix and painted the inside of the glass with Krylon Black Glass Paint from ACE Hardware about 2 years ago prior to tinting - looks factory.
That was what I would suggest. Around here that's how the tint shops do it.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoore
My tinter said he could either put black vinyl over it or tint it. I would just make sure that your tinter has tinted over the matrix area you certainly don't want your car to be his first time!
Mine has black vinyl ,looks good.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
tracks03
Pro

Originally Posted by Scoops03

Good Luck!
Scoops, where did you have your tint done? How much did it cost? I'm not too far from Charlotte.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Scoops03
Instructor

Originally Posted by tracks03
Scoops, where did you have your tint done? How much did it cost? I'm not too far from Charlotte.
PM sent
Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
sounds like something i'll check into. thanks for the tip.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 AM
gman31
Instructor

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Elmers glue, the glue kids use in grade school to glue paper together, that elmers glue? How is the application process using that stuff? How long is that supposed to hold/look good?
Different glue but made by Elmers.

Not sure of the exact application process as I wasn't there to watch.

He gave me a lifetime guarantee.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Noel@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by gman31
Just had mine done a few months ago. My tinter used the elmers glue on the matrix and it came out perfect. He was the only one I could find in my area who used the glue. Most wanted to sand it or just tint right over it.
The only way to do it
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's been on back there for 10 yrs. now......still looks brand new. Covered over the little dots without any problems in a decade.
My guy must have been good, eh?

FWIW..I polish my tint with a silicon spray, lightly rub it around to clean the surface, then polish off......all done with a Meguiar's MF towel. I don't use cheap microfiber towels.....they will scratch the tint. Same for painted surfaces too. You can test your MF towels, by rubbing hard on the back of a CD disc. If there are scatches, you also have scratches on your car. Meguiar's don't scratch. Just my 2cents worth tonight!!

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Tinting a coupe's rear window

Quick Reply: Tinting a coupe's rear window