Sponsored by:

Wheel damage from tire installer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel damage from tire installer

Had two new tires install up front last week from a major tire supplier. Got home and noticed damage to one of the rims, right on the edge. The edge was mauled in an irregular pattern, like crushed and chewed up and about 2 1/2 inches in length. Sorry no picture.

Went back to the shop. I stayed calm. The first flunky said it was curb damage. I said, no way Jose'. He gets the manager and he spouts the same mantra. I am 1000% sure that did even get near a curb. The manager flat out says that his machines couldn't cause that damage. Things get a little huffy back and forth.

I calm down and just flat out say, "I've been a customer of XX for over a decade. What are you going to do to keep me." With that, he says let's check out a replacement. After hummming and searching, he says "I'm going to replace it for free because I want to keep you as a customer. We didn't damage the rim, but I want to make sure you stay with us."

New rim will be in tomorrow. Okay, besides the win............ I'm a 100% sure they did the damage. Was his denial accurate and he's replacing the rim to keep me happy, OR he's replacing the rim and doesn't want to admit (for whatever reason) that one of his tire installer monkeys screwed up?

It ends up with a happy ending, but I'm curious.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Hard to say. In todays economy, businesses do not like to lose long time customers. If your car is in top shape, and well taken care of they may not push the issue that you caused the damage, knowing that you take care of it. I would think that had it been damaged prior to them installing the wheels they would have contacted you to to verify you knew about the damage. That is if the person doing the work even thought about it or noticed it. Most likely, the manger did not want the issue to go any further that might cost him more then one wheel so he was willing to eat the cost of a new wheel and keep you as a customer.

I just put new wheels on mine, and I called the people I have always dealt with for tires and repairs for them as well a suspension work, and they stated they would not switch the tires to the new rims unless I bought the wheels from them or new tires. Well I am no longer their customer.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

I get what you are saying. I know the tire machines are much better these days. They said they have nylon contacts, and it never happens to a chromed wheel. Painted wheel yes, but not chrome.

While waiting, I stood and watched one installer breaking the bead with metal wedge on the machine. The guy hit the rim three times in one spot before he got it off the metal and on to the edge of the rubber.

Dunno. It still may be the better part of valor is just to make the customer happy. He did say they would sell the old rim to recoup money, so it's not like they are paying for a complete replacement.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Navyvette04
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Warped Sol
Had two new tires install up front last week from a major tire supplier. Got home and noticed damage to one of the rims, right on the edge. The edge was mauled in an irregular pattern, like crushed and chewed up and about 2 1/2 inches in length. Sorry no picture.

Went back to the shop. I stayed calm. The first flunky said it was curb damage. I said, no way Jose'. He gets the manager and he spouts the same mantra. I am 1000% sure that did even get near a curb. The manager flat out says that his machines couldn't cause that damage. Things get a little huffy back and forth.

I calm down and just flat out say, "I've been a customer of XX for over a decade. What are you going to do to keep me." With that, he says let's check out a replacement. After hummming and searching, he says "I'm going to replace it for free because I want to keep you as a customer. We didn't damage the rim, but I want to make sure you stay with us."

New rim will be in tomorrow. Okay, besides the win............ I'm a 100% sure they did the damage. Was his denial accurate and he's replacing the rim to keep me happy, OR he's replacing the rim and doesn't want to admit (for whatever reason) that one of his tire installer monkeys screwed up?

It ends up with a happy ending, but I'm curious.
The manager was probably anaware of the damage. My guess is that he asked the installer if he damaged the wheel. In fear of loosing his job, the installer denied that he was responsible for the damage. The manager made the responsible decision. Replace the wheel, keep you as a customer. As a result, he will probably get some good PR from you. Look at it this way, the wheel cost him $400, if he gets 2 new customers from you, he'll make that up.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

Originally Posted by Navyvette04
The manager was probably anaware of the damage. My guess is that he asked the installer if he damaged the wheel. In fear of loosing his job, the installer denied that he was responsible for the damage. The manager made the responsible decision. Replace the wheel, keep you as a customer. As a result, he will probably get some good PR from you. Look at it this way, the wheel cost him $400, if he gets 2 new customers from you, he'll make that up.
True.

What got me was him saying that it was 100% impossible for his equipment to harm a wheel. Oh well, chalk it up as a happy ending, and yes XX will get my promotion. Meanwhile, I'll go to a different installer shop (same company, just different location).
Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,437 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hard to say whether they did the damage or not. Best way I've found to prevent instances like this from happening is when you first bring the car in for work, make sure you and the service manager check it over carefully for any damage to the wheels/body, etc and note any previous damage areas. Then when the work is done, check the car over again with the service manager. That way there should be no question as to whether the shop damaged the car or not.

It's a hassle, but sure does prevent misunderstandings.

And nice that the manager decided to replace the wheel rather than lose a customer and get some bad publicity.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Need pics
Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

Originally Posted by Tech
Need pics
When I get home.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy will probably have the rim repaired and then sell it to recoup some of his loss. You did the right thing by standing your ground. He did the right thing by taking care of it. It's a win/win from my perspective.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats to bad that people have to deal with this kind of stuff. Things happen and nobody is perfect. I own up to every blunder I have made at work. Who I am as a person is worth more than a job. I get my tires done at Sears and they give you safety glasses for you to wear while you watch the work being done. I think the best thing to do is inspect the car before and after any work is done before you leave the lot....my .02
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
BigSexy181971
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I just ran into a situation at a shop I visited for the first time and the manager did the same thing. They will get my business in the future unless I have another mishap with them. The manager was more the courteous and appreciative for my business. At least that is how I felt.

Glad your happy.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Burnt C6
Le Mans Master

Received 208 Likes on 89 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11,'22-'23

I have damage on the passanger side wheels of the C5 and every time I have taken it in to Discount Tire they have brought it to my attention when they start to work on the car. I’ve been a customer for since they opened in Texas 20 + years back. The fiancée has the car in San Antonio at the moment and had to have a leaking tire fixed there. They brought it to her attention and she called me asking me if I knew it was there.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt C6
I have damage on the passanger side wheels of the C5 and every time I have taken it in to Discount Tire they have brought it to my attention when they start to work on the car. I’ve been a customer for since they opened in Texas 20 + years back. The fiancée has the car in San Antonio at the moment and had to have a leaking tire fixed there. They brought it to her attention and she called me asking me if I knew it was there.
This is what all responsible tire shops would do.....if the damage is pre-existing bring it to your customer's attention.....otherwise they may try and blame you for it.

In my many years both as a tire tech and as a manager....I've seen alot of people try to get free replacements....when the damage is pre-existing.

As a corvette owner...and like most of you guys here, I'm fussy about how and where my vehicle is serviced.....

I completely understand both sides of the scenario.....and it sounds like the Manager took the necessary steps to secure your repeat business...he definitely deserves loyalty for your next purchase.

JC
Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

The pre-inspection route is definitely the way to go.

BTW, I did a cursory inspect on leaving the place. But shame on me. I think I left my glasses at the office. Farsighted like crazy in one eye. My bad. Lesson learned.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
De_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I have a local shop who allows me in the bay to watch them mount my tires. Nice to hear they are taking care of you
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When I get new tires mounted:
1) I take wheels off of the car and take them in. (No car damage or thrill drives)
2) I mark wheels and any damage, including wheel weight location with painter's tape. No questions later.
3) Mark which wheel is which (LF, RF) so TPMSs don't have to be re-trained.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
JeepTJ
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I hope they are going to replace with a same factory wheel that you had and not a reproduction wheel. Most reproduction wheel weigh about 10lbs more then factory.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel damage from tire installer

Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always do a pre service inspection with the manager

Chuck
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Silverbullet6spd
Racer

From what you describe, it sounds like curb damage. Tire machines can scratch wheels, but typically not to the point you describe(I would need to see pics). I think it's pretty crappy of you to take your business elsewhere after they step up and buy a wheel for you. If he is buying you a wheel to keep your business, shouldn't you continue to give him your business? I work at a dealer and love how people drop off their car filthy dirty, we wash it and then they look it over with a fine tooth comb. I would highly recommend you do a walk-around with whoever you leave your vehicle with. It protects you and the people that work on it.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM
KODAK
Instructor

Alls well that ends well. Glad he is repairing it for you!

Quick Reply: Wheel damage from tire installer