Sponsored by:

[Z06] lost control of the Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
Or the odd 680hp C5Z - Simple, drive it as if you plan on driving again tomorrow
I'm supposing above that an owner purchases the car as a daily driver & wants to be able to use the 505hp or 630hp every day. Say, put the pedal to the metal 0-60 once a day. I don't see how you do that safely in those cars because they just don't make tires wide enough to fit the car & give traction at those torque levels in cold temps.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
nothing personal as to the reactions, just to be careful.

Too many get injured and die on the roads, and I made a bad decision and was fortunate not to get hurt, hurt my brother and seriously damage my car. Just wanted to share.

Flame away if you must. I think everybody, regardless of having a high HP car or not, has been in some close calls in accidents while driving in their lifetime. Some admit it, some don't.
Wasn't trying to be personal there bro.. Glad you and your bro are alright. Be careful out there.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I'm supposing above that an owner purchases the car as a daily driver & wants to be able to use the 505hp or 630hp every day. Say, put the pedal to the metal 0-60 once a day. I don't see how you do that safely in those cars because they just don't make tires wide enough to fit the car & give traction at those torque levels in cold temps.
But then again you cant even use a 150bhp FWD car for 0-60 in cold temps. The car will spin and slew out of control in the same manner that a 600bhp car would. You can goose your way through the gears a little easier in a C6 Z and ZR1 - 1st us taller, you dont have to shift to get to 60mph
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Steve20
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good thing you chose your location carefully. It would have been totally irresponsible and undeniably stupid to open her up in a residential area.

I look at my Z a weapon: the TC is the "safety"

good luck in the future

Steve
Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Stevo92z28
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More and more of these threads keep poping up as the weather gets nice. Just have to be careful out there. Know your limits. Believe me i know MY limit but i do not know the limit of this car yet and i won't until its on a track in a safe environment. I have got squirrely several times in this car, and i really won't floor it till the top of 2nd gear and yet it still spins 85% of the time, i normally let off right as it barks sideways or shift to 3rd. AH has not kicked in for me unless i do a burnout and go completely sideways. TC/AH is always on or competitive if i am fooling around. I like many people only fool around on open roads when no other cars or people are around and it's a hard temptation driving this car to not always want to go fast. I have messed up in my camaro back in highschool and have learned from then. This car is fast, best just be careful. Can't really predict a public road.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

Note to Self: Sign up for a performance driving lessons to learn the limits. Stat!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Soundman69
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC45
I am of the opposite opinion here.

Turn the TC/AH off, find an empty industrial parking lot and LEARN what the car does with all the baby-sitters and nannies turned off. With 400 passes with Comp/AH on and none with Comp/AH off are missing out on an extra set of skills.

Then when the day comes where you accidently turn off TC/AH you are not "up shister creek without a paddle" and really are ready for the day of reckoning.

Even if I drove everyday with TC and AH on, and every track event with Comp/AH on, I would still want to be 110% comfortable in case the system decided to go ECBM Code C1214 on me - and it has done that before, while under power.

Sorry about your mishap and hope you get back in the saddle all fixed up soon.

I agree 100% with what you are saying here.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Soundman69
Instructor

Originally Posted by jac1979
I agree with this. I think TC and AH are unpredictable and I like to be able to control the car on my own. The only time I leave TC on is when it is raining. When driving on the track or open roads I hate competitive driving mode, I want to feel the car slide and be ready to correct it when it does. I think if you are dependant on TC or AH in good driving conditions you shouldn't be driving a corvette to begin with.

You are completely totally 100% wrong. Unless you are a professional driver I can guarantee you that you do not have the skills to beat the active handling on the Z06. Even they leave the car in competitive mode for the most part. The car is actually faster in that mode and a million times safer.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Mark; I’m sorry to hear of your experience with the T/C off, I’m very happy that no one was injured.
I tried to find the limit of the envelope with the T/C off on my car when I got it. The problem is that our cars are very unforgiving in uncontrolled conditions i.e. “the street.”

I’m 100% sure that this is a big factor in all the wrecked Viper’s as until recently they did not offer T/C and active handling. People that have looked at used Viper’s know that it is hard to find one that has never been damaged.

I’m all for training when owning a high performance car, but there is no way a driver can be ready for anything 100% of the time. If they could, auto racing would never experience any accidents.
My recommendation to everyone is keep the T/C on when on the street and enjoy your cars superior technology.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Bristol
Racer

It is my experience that one push of the control button puts it in no traction control, a second push puts it in no traction control or Competion mode, but if you hold the button for ten seconds there is not Traction control or Stabilite Control.

Two week ago I spent two days at Spring Mountain for the SCCA License Course and we always turn off both the Traction Control and Stability Control. All we had was ABS. This was in C6's and the second day we did eight races. All out racing, SCCA starts and full passing.

I personally think that you have better control in racing conditions with the TRACTION CONTROL AND STABILITY CONTROL OFF.

Of the ten C6's on the track there were no serious situations. My advise go to drivers school.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Stevo92z28
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Negative.

Press the button - TC/AH Off
Press the button and hold 5-10 seconds - Competition mode which is TC OFF and AH ON.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I've done some things that have gotten the car out of control a few times. I've turned everything off and floored it from a complete stop, not to be cool, but to get used to how the car reacts. Driving in the rain is probably the best way to understand/learn how to react to different scenarios in your car. If you don't find the limit, you'll never know where the limit is, and how to safely react to it. Learning throttle modulation (never hammer it) is important, and in a turn is a complete no-no. Glad to see you and your brother are ok, and noe one else got injured. Ok, its over, and you learned. To the guys who think your are dangerous, give the OP a break. to the OP, get on a road course track and learn this car, safely, and correctly.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:45 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

To the OP, you didn't mention the pavement temperatures, sun load (or was it cloudy), what kind of tires and their age, or how much air (cold) was in the tires.

Personally, on 1-2 yr old F1 Supercar tires even w/ 28 psi in them (as opposed 35), I don't floor this car even in 3rd gear in the late fall/winter/early spring. Temperatures have been cold, many times in the 50s and colder, for 6 months now. To use 2nd gear in that situation even w/ good street tires, I would want it to be sunny & 70F. Plus, you didn't do a burnout, so you should wait a while into the trip to let the tires warm up not to mention the engine. I do more "fun stuff" at the end of my trips never the beginning.
Air Temperature was 78* outside and cloudy. The road was concrete, I never push it on asphalt in any car, in any gear. My tires are firestone wide ovals(non runflat) with about half the tread left on them. They are 18 months old. I am chaning them out in the next 3k. The tires were warm and I had driven 4-5 miles before this occured.

Wasn't trying to be personal there bro.. Glad you and your bro are alright. Be careful out there.

You are completely totally 100% wrong. Unless you are a professional driver I can guarantee you that you do not have the skills to beat the active handling on the Z06. Even they leave the car in competitive mode for the most part. The car is actually faster in that mode and a million times safer.
that is exactly what I thought when I read his reply. I couldn't see somebody reacting faster than a computer can.

Mark; I’m sorry to hear of your experience with the T/C off, I’m very happy that no one was injured.
Thanks Ramman!

Mark
Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I've done some things that have gotten the car out of control a few times. I've turned everything off and floored it from a complete stop, not to be cool, but to get used to how the car reacts. Driving in the rain is probably the best way to understand/learn how to react to different scenarios in your car. If you don't find the limit, you'll never know where the limit is, and how to safely react to it. Learning throttle modulation (never hammer it) is important, and in a turn is a complete no-no. Glad to see you and your brother are ok, and noe one else got injured. Ok, its over, and you learned. To the guys who think your are dangerous, give the OP a break. to the OP, get on a road course track and learn this car, safely, and correctly.
thanks for the kinds words
Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Lesson learned, I hope.

Things like this are best at the track, for obvious reasons.

Quick Reply: [Z06] lost control of the Z