Sponsored by:

[Z06] Exhaust dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
red98cobrastang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust dilemma

Hey guys, New owner of a 2002 z06. 54k miles. bone stock.

One of the Cats in the factory h pipe has come loose and is rattling around in there.

To my knowledge, the cats are part of the factory H pipe and are non removable correct?

I would like to purchase an x pipe seeing as how there is no way im going to purchase an OEM peice.

Question is: Would I be fine with just buying a catless X pipe? I really do not feel like installing headers at this time (nor paying for them) as the car needs brakes and few other maintenence items done.

IF i do buy headers and an x pipe it will be the OBX system which is just under 700 shipped. I know I can get an x pipe for under 300 shipped, which is really what I'm after.

SO in the end:

1. Just buy OBX LT's and X pipe
2. Just buy X pipe and leave factoy manifolds
3. Cut out the cats and just weld in new ones
4. Remove cats completely

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just remove them. You should not throw any codes that im aware of. Since the car is OBII you don't have to have the car on a running machine. They just plug up the OBDII and make sure there are no codes and you are good to go. Just cut them off and throw in a pipe with the same size. Would be a lot cheaper than going to buy some new cat(s).
Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
red98cobrastang
Advanced

Originally Posted by crAzy95z28
Just remove them. You should not throw any codes that im aware of. Since the car is OBII you don't have to have the car on a running machine. They just plug up the OBDII and make sure there are no codes and you are good to go. Just cut them off and throw in a pipe with the same size. Would be a lot cheaper than going to buy some new cat(s).
it will throw a code unless i have the rear 02's turned off via tune, or buy some 02 simulators.

I would prefer the sound of the x pipe as well, vs the sound of the x pipe.

I plan on keeping the stock TI's
Old 05-06-2009, 08:38 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Why not just go buy the LG street series Lt headers and X pipe for 1000$ then go get it dyno tune. 1500$ and you'll be good... Unless you don't want to do that. I would not prefer getting a x pipe with out the headers...Just my opinion..
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
red98cobrastang
Advanced

Well I'm only 22, and I have another vehicle besdies this one (2006 AWD ford escape Hybrid, DD thats fully paid off). I do not want to drain my savings on the "toy" incase the DD needs some repairs.

Dont really have the money to drop right now on an exhaust that expensive. IF anything, I would get the OBX system as mentioned above. All installation would be done bymyself.

Just looking for a cheap alternative for the time being. I suppose I could just cut out the cats and buy 02 sims.

Is our stock exhaust raspy w/ out cats?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

The cheap way out would be to remove the cats. Cost you prob less than 100$ to do. Then get those O2 sims you mentioned earlier. A lot cheaper than 700$.

Hell go with option 1....
Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 AM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cheaper way might be to remove the section and tilt it and see what comes out. I can't imagine the cats are deteriorating with the mileage you have. Could it possibly be the exhaust hanger is broken and clanging against it?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KCvetteowner
A cheaper way might be to remove the section and tilt it and see what comes out. I can't imagine the cats are deteriorating with the mileage you have. Could it possibly be the exhaust hanger is broken and clanging against it?
Take it apart yourself and check it out. Get one of those little bullet night cameras and drop it in there for a looksee. I did that to create a sewer camera snake and it works great. Tree root issue....

As far as headers or Xpipe: my opinion only - If you can't afford to do it right then don't do it. It will be money wasted.

If necessary you may be able to locate the entire H section on here cheaply if you have the time. I have one around the house myself from my 01. Too expensive to ship though.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
HWY HNTR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since youre a new owner. Z06's have a tendency to have some drivetrain rattle in low rpm range and when you shut the car off.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Trouble shoot the exhaust a bit more. This sounds like an easy fix. If you just have to have the exhaust replaced then but the OBX. I've got them and they seem to be a good buy.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure but, check w dealer - think cats are covered under warranty for 8 yrs or 80,000 mi.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Option 1.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust dilemma

Quick Reply: [Z06] Exhaust dilemma