Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the AntiVenom mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Torque, i looked at your website and it is great but i didn't see where to get washer but if u say i can get it at advance etc i will give that a shot. I have seen where one and two washers were used, how many have u guys used on your vette. Thanks for entertaining my questions.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 PM
EPIC C5Z
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up a couple from NAPA last week. Part number NOE 704-1357, 20mm copper gasket.

Total cost: $1.49
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 AM
james2828
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
Not that i really need it as I think my MGW shifter is right near perfect but thought I'd try this to see how much of an effect it had on the shift action.

This is the original instruction pic posted by forum member AntiVenom.

I picked up a couple of different types of washers - two M20 copper and two M20 crush washers - to have a couple of options to try. The only other tools needed are a 24 mm socket and possibly a flashlight to locate the detent screw.

The car was already on the lift so no jacking was required. You'll need to get it high enough to reach the shift detent if you decide to try this. The detent is located on the upper passenger side of the tranny just under the reverse-shift solenoid as indicated in the pic below.

You'll need to reach in between the over-axle exhaust pipe and tranny with the 24 mm socket to unscrew the detent.

The detent is a few inches directly above where my middle finger is pointing in this pic.

Here's what the detent screw looks like. It's a spring-loaded ball detent plunger. The section above the threaded portion is the plunger that translates in and out under spring load.

I decided to start with two copper washers - they measured about .047" each or .094" stacked.

Popped the washers on.

I reinstalled the detent screw, lowered the car and tried the shifter. It seemed a bit too soft for my liking so I raised the car and removed one of the washers. When I tried it again, it seemed OK so I decided to leave it in for a while to see how it feels on the road. As I mentioned before, the MGW is pretty much ideal to me so this is just an experiment to explore yet another variation on the C5 shifter action.

Thanks For the Info.!!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Old thread. Great Mod!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Patches, tho' this is an old thread, it spans, in time, ownership of both of my C5's. Between your and Toque's pix, instructions are well done and couldn't be any easier. I have 1 washer in this C5, but I also cut 2+ inches out of the stock shift lever.
The following users liked this post:
Patches (02-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Did the AntiVenom mod