Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery, can I still use it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
JoJo_Duder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery, can I still use it?

i havn't been driving my vette much lately, I should have taken the battery out, but she is completely dead. I got her started with a jump start and she is in the driveway running, trying to get the battery re-charged.
- My question is, should I even bother, will the battery be as good as it was when I do get it fully charged? Or should I go get a new one? The thing it the battery is only a year old. Will it be fine when I get her charged up again? Wonder how long it will take to charge just idle-ing.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:33 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 513 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Well it's not good to rely on the alternator to charge up the battery, it's really hard on the alternator. It's best to take the battery out and have it charged or if you have a charger then do it yourself. But If the battery was completely dead, i'd go and get a new one. When the or a battery goes completely dead it can be recharged, but it will still be weak.: what kind of battery was it?

Last edited by killain; 05-30-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
Well it's not good to rely on the alternator to charge up the battery, it's really hard on the alternator. It's best to take the battery out and have it charged or if you have a charger then do it yourself. But If the battery was completely dead, i'd go and get a new one. When the or a battery goes completely dead it can be recharged, but it will still be weak.: what kind of battery was it?
I'd shut it off right away,,you could be shortening the life of the alternator,,that much strain builds a LOT of heat in it. If it was not too old a good slow charge MAY revive it. If you have a few years on i I'd get a new one. A battery will actually last longer if it is used frequently,,stays fully charges. Sitting loses charge,,the lower the charge gets helps build sulfation deposits! Drive that puppy more often!!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 PM
JoJo_Duder
Instructor

I think it is just a Walmart, EverStart battery. It has been great up until this point. Hope I don't ruin my alternator this way. Will it even recharge it just idling like that or do I need to go drive it around. I dont want it to die if I take it out.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:58 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

My experience is that once a low maintenance battery goes completely dead, it is never the same again.
I would trade it for a new ACDelco Professional grade 7YR battery with a 50 month free replacement warranty.
Of course, if you are still not going to drive the car, then the same thing could happen to the new battery.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:18 PM
JoJo_Duder
Instructor

I got it charged up enough that it starts everytime I try now. But the whole car shuts off when I go more than 2 feet in first gear. I heard there is something with a fuel shutoff if the battery went dead? Anyone help?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM
JoJo_Duder
Instructor

I think i'm going to try the PCM-resync mentioned here, if anyone has any input please post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...yone-help.html
Old 05-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this Spring when my Battery Tender died without me noticing it. I finally pulled the battery and had it charged. It failed to keep the charge so I replaced it with a Die-Hard and a new Battery Tender. Trying to start it threw some 30 codes. After clearing all the low voltage codes, it is now throwing a misfire code P0300. Hope that you have better luck than me.

Dan
Old 05-30-2009, 05:20 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah for an anchor
Old 05-30-2009, 05:48 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Put the battery on a good battery charger and leave it at a low amp setting for a few days. Charge it back up slowly to avoid to much heat. It might bring it back, but it'll probably die again. Total discharge (repeatedly) will shorten the life of any battery.

You need to consider some type of float maintenance charger for periods of hibernation. Most use BATTERY TENDER PLUS or CTEK.

My car sits for periods of six months or more of AZ winter and monsoon summers. It's always fully charged with a BATTERY TENDER PLUS (@ 1.25 amp). It's manufactured by DELTRAN CORPORATION. The CTEK is from Europe, a bit more high tech in its features. Some of the site supporting vendors sell them.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:05 PM
JoJo_Duder
Instructor

It did need the PCM resync I mentioned above. Got her moving, took her for a spin, battery is now fully charged! Wow im glad I could help myself, thanks Joe!!! We'll see if she holds the charge through the night.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Geno94
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't imagine owning any car, especially a Corvette, without owning a battery charger. I have three self regulating chargers that are 6 to 15 amps and two that are the self regulating trickle chargers. I would get a charger and charge the battery fully and see what it does from there unless it is four or more years old. If it were that old, I would probably replace it "Taking her for a spin" does not mean the battery is fully charged unless your "spin was 300 miles and even then, using an alternator to recharge is not a good idea.

Last edited by Geno94; 05-30-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-30-2009, 07:20 PM
JoJo_Duder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geno94
I can't imagine owning any car, especially a Corvette, without owning a battery charger. I have three self regulating chargers that are 6 to 15 amps and two that are the self regulating trickle chargers. I would get a charger and charge the battery fully and see what it does from there unless it is four or more years old. If it were that old, I would probably replace it "Taking her for a spin" does not mean the battery is fully charged unless your "spin was 300 miles and even then, using an alternator to recharge is not a good idea.
Yeah you are probably right, was just excited that sync worked. When i said fully charged, i meant the battery gauge or whatever its called was right around 12 when i turned it to ON, but that is not always accurate.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery, can I still use it?

Quick Reply: Dead Battery, can I still use it?