Sponsored by:

[Z06] New owner of 2002 zo6

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM
kreinmc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 2002 zo6

I just picked a 2002 EB zo6 with 25k miles on it in perfect condition. I can't believe how much I love this car! But I do have a few questions about it and was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

1. Is the center console really only designed to open a few inches or is the spring stuck some how?

2. I can't seem to get the memory setting for the mirrors to stick? Everything else works fine, but for some reason everytime I get in the car it is reverting back to the previous owners settings. Is there some type of special procedure I need to follow?

3. The shifter stick is really high, do they make some type of short stick (such as a lou's short stick for fbody's) to bring it down and still maintain the stock shifter. This thing thifts like butter and I really don't want to get a notchy aftermarket shifter.

Anything else I should know about this car that isn't obvious?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kreinmc
I just picked a 2002 EB zo6 with 25k miles on it in perfect condition. I can't believe how much I love this car! But I do have a few questions about it and was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

1. Is the center console really only designed to open a few inches or is the spring stuck some how?

2. I can't seem to get the memory setting for the mirrors to stick? Everything else works fine, but for some reason everytime I get in the car it is reverting back to the previous owners settings. Is there some type of special procedure I need to follow?

3. The shifter stick is really high, do they make some type of short stick (such as a lou's short stick for fbody's) to bring it down and still maintain the stock shifter. This thing thifts like butter and I really don't want to get a notchy aftermarket shifter.

Anything else I should know about this car that isn't obvious?

Thanks,
Mike

1. Center Console to open it lift till it stops then pull toward you in the same angle it open, that will open the hinge all the way then you will be able to open the console fully.

2. Look in the owner manual to set the memory for the seats.

3. Some people cut there stock shifter to have a shorter height, there enough threads to cut some off.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 AM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive gta stock shifter tha I cut Ill send it to you if you pay the shipping....

A better bet would be to buy a aftermarket shifter...You can find a used n hear for around 100 bucks
Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 AM
pimpyellowtt
Advanced

I would also like to know about the mirrors. Mine have done the exact same thing in my 02. It is very annoying. No matter how many times a save the setting they always go back to some old setting I never put them at. Ususally I have to manually move them in by hand because the setting is very wide and they wont even come in more narrow just by using the buttons...
Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Welcome to the family. However, we expect less typing... more driving and taking pictures. :jest:
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
wannagofast
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpyellowtt

I would also like to know about the mirrors. Mine have done the exact same thing in my 02. It is very annoying. No matter how many times a save the setting they always go back to some old setting I never put them at. Ususally I have to manually move them in by hand because the setting is very wide and they wont even come in more narrow just by using the buttons...
If you have to use your hands to adj your mirrors in more you have something wrong!! If you follow the owners mauall to set up your personal settings and it wont do it go to a garage and get your pcm checked.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 AM
HUSKER-Z
Pro

did you hold down the 1 or 2 button to save the settings?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

You can also turn off the memory function,, from the DIC,, That way when you get in the car and start it up, there is nothing to worry about. Just get in and go.. Just like the old days.. Some of these modern electronics are just flat out annoying.. The auto memory just puts more wear on tear on the mirror motors and the seat motors for no reason.

Last edited by David426; 06-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Maintainence

This has nothing to do w/ your mirrors, but I would suggest looking at the condition(color) of your brake and clutch fluids(resevoirs). They are located on the drivers side nearest the firewall. If they are dirty or cloudy, use the Ranger method for changing out the fluids in each resevoir using Prestone synthetic Dot 4 in both (It's a clear fluid) Good luck w/ your mirrors. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Stevo92z28
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took me about a month to find out that the console lid does actually open up further then an inch. Previous owner didn't even know.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
Ive gta stock shifter tha I cut Ill send it to you if you pay the shipping....

A better bet would be to buy a aftermarket shifter...You can find a used n hear for around 100 bucks
If he doesn't want to, I sure will!

Let me know, thanks!!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Z06SRUL
Advanced

Personally I wouldn't change the shifter, I have tried them all in the Z06's I have owned and the stock shifter is by far the best & I have to say I prefer the taller shifter cause it's so right when your blowin thru the gears!!
The center console is a strange set-up but once you figure it out & get used to it it's fine.

Last edited by Z06SRUL; 06-22-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
eddielasvegas
Advanced

Congrats and unless we see pics, it didn't happen.

Eddie
Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Look on the Back of your KEY FOB!!! (KEYLESS DOOR OPENER) Is there are number 1 or 2 on it? If you Key Fob has a Number # 1 on it and you use it to un-lock & Lock the Doors. Your Personal Settings for the Car should be Set or Saved for #1. If you have Key Fob #2 save your Settings on the Car to the #2 Spot. Hope this Helps.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
kreinmc
8th Gear

Originally Posted by slvrzo6
Look on the Back of your KEY FOB!!! (KEYLESS DOOR OPENER) Is there are number 1 or 2 on it? If you Key Fob has a Number # 1 on it and you use it to un-lock & Lock the Doors. Your Personal Settings for the Car should be Set or Saved for #1. If you have Key Fob #2 save your Settings on the Car to the #2 Spot. Hope this Helps.
Thanks everyone! I will work on getting some pictures of the car. Also, I think you may be right, the car does always seem to revert to the memory setting #2, but I always try to save to setting #1, maybe i have the #2 key and it is simply going to that setting? I will simply save to the #2 memory setting and see if it sticks.

I can't believe I couldn't figure out this center console! I literally almost broke the thing trying to get it to open.

One more thing, for some reason I can't lock the drivers side door from outside of the car. It will arm the alarm, but the door will still be unlocked. It unlocks the doors, but will not lock the drivers side. I assume this is just another funky setting I will need to read up on in the owners manual.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:41 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kreinmc
Thanks everyone! I will work on getting some pictures of the car. Also, I think you may be right, the car does always seem to revert to the memory setting #2, but I always try to save to setting #1, maybe i have the #2 key and it is simply going to that setting? I will simply save to the #2 memory setting and see if it sticks.

I can't believe I couldn't figure out this center console! I literally almost broke the thing trying to get it to open.

One more thing, for some reason I can't lock the drivers side door from outside of the car. It will arm the alarm, but the door will still be unlocked. It unlocks the doors, but will not lock the drivers side. I assume this is just another funky setting I will need to read up on in the owners manual.
You may have a bad door control module. Among other things, this has relays that power the door lock. The relays have been known to go out. I had to have one of my door control modules replaced. Mine would lock but would not unlock. If the locks work fine with the buttons on the inside of the car then the door control module is not the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To New owner of 2002 zo6

Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

FYI you can set 3 memory settings... 1, 2, and a 3rd by holding 1 and 2 at the same time. Your key fobs will be numbered 1 and 2. The idea is that you can have 2 drivers w/ 2 different setting saved. It will revert to those settings depending on which key fob is used to open the door. I personally save all 3 settings the same.

As for the door locks... well that's the door control module. Mine is starting to do it now too. You push lock and the car thinks it's locked but the door doesn't lock. If you open the door it'll set the alarm off.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

congrats no your new ride!!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Many congrats. I have the same year Z and it's a blast. Shifters are a personal choice, but I have got used to the stock one. The disadvantage is that it's a relatively long throw. The advantage is that it's tall, so you have less distance to move your hand and can get back to the wheel faster when you have to shift and steer at the same time.

Be sure one of your mods is to take it to a road racing track. Learn to turn, and your life will be more interesting, forever. Good luck!

Quick Reply: [Z06] New owner of 2002 zo6