Sponsored by:

Bleeding the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 AM
notnuts16
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bleeding the brakes

Not Corvette related unless we can say that it sits in the same garage as one but I have a 2000 Camaro that I am trying to flush new brake fluid thru the system. Does anyone know if there is a sequence for doing a certain wheel first and so on? I know how to do the vette but was wondering if it is the same on a Camaro. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

This will be moved but here's the 2000 Camaro bleeding procedure:

1] Fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid and keep the reservoir at least half full of fluid during the bleeding operation.

2] If the master cylinder is known or suspected to have air in the bore, then it must be bled in the following manner, before bleeding any caliper:
a) Disconnect the forward (blind end) brake pipe connection at the master cylinder.

b) Allow the brake fluid to fill the master cylinder piston bore until it begins to flow from the forward pipe connector port.

c) Connect the forward brake pipe to the master cylinder and tighten.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

d) Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold. Loosen the forward brake pipe connection at the master cylinder to purge air from the bore. Tighten the connection and then release the brake pedal slowly. Wait 15 seconds. Repeat the sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is removed from the bore. Tighten
Tighten the brake pipe tube nut to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).

e) When clear fluid flows from the forward connection, repeat steps 1 and 2 to bleed the master cylinder at the rear (cowl) connection.
3] Individual brake calipers are bled only after all air is removed from the master cylinder. If it is known that the brake calipers do not contain any air, then it will not be necessary to bleed them.
a) Place a proper size box end wrench, or equivalent, over the brake caliper bleed screw.

b) Attach a clear tube over the screw.

c) Submerge the other end of the tube in a clear container partially filled with brake fluid.

d) Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold.

e) Loosen the brake caliper bleed screw to purge the air from the cylinder.

f) Tighten the brake caliper bleed screw and slowly release the pedal. Wait 15 seconds. Tighten
Tighten the brake caliper bleed screw to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

g) Repeat the sequence (including the 15 second wait), until all of the air is removed. It may be necessary to repeat the sequence ten or more times to remove all of the air.

h) If it is necessary to bleed all of the brake calipers, the following sequence should be used:

i. Right rear
ii. Left rear
iii. Right front
iv. Left front

i) Test drive the vehicle. Check the brake pedal for sponginess.

j) Ensure that vehicle exceeds 5 km/h (3 mph) for ABS modulator actuation (self-test). If after ABS modulation the brake pedal is spongy or soft, then re-bleed system until pedal is firm.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Always work the furthest caliper from the booster first and work towards the booster, The sequecnce above is correct for almost all US cars, since the booster is drivers side front.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Always work the furthest caliper from the booster first and work towards the booster, The sequecnce above is correct for almost all US cars, since the booster is drivers side front.
"all US cars", except Corvette.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:46 PM
notnuts16
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
This will be moved but here's the 2000 Camaro bleeding procedure:

1] Fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid and keep the reservoir at least half full of fluid during the bleeding operation.

2] If the master cylinder is known or suspected to have air in the bore, then it must be bled in the following manner, before bleeding any caliper:
a) Disconnect the forward (blind end) brake pipe connection at the master cylinder.

b) Allow the brake fluid to fill the master cylinder piston bore until it begins to flow from the forward pipe connector port.

c) Connect the forward brake pipe to the master cylinder and tighten.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

d) Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold. Loosen the forward brake pipe connection at the master cylinder to purge air from the bore. Tighten the connection and then release the brake pedal slowly. Wait 15 seconds. Repeat the sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is removed from the bore. Tighten
Tighten the brake pipe tube nut to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).

e) When clear fluid flows from the forward connection, repeat steps 1 and 2 to bleed the master cylinder at the rear (cowl) connection.
3] Individual brake calipers are bled only after all air is removed from the master cylinder. If it is known that the brake calipers do not contain any air, then it will not be necessary to bleed them.
a) Place a proper size box end wrench, or equivalent, over the brake caliper bleed screw.

b) Attach a clear tube over the screw.

c) Submerge the other end of the tube in a clear container partially filled with brake fluid.

d) Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold.

e) Loosen the brake caliper bleed screw to purge the air from the cylinder.

f) Tighten the brake caliper bleed screw and slowly release the pedal. Wait 15 seconds. Tighten
Tighten the brake caliper bleed screw to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

g) Repeat the sequence (including the 15 second wait), until all of the air is removed. It may be necessary to repeat the sequence ten or more times to remove all of the air.

h) If it is necessary to bleed all of the brake calipers, the following sequence should be used:

i. Right rear
ii. Left rear
iii. Right front
iv. Left front

i) Test drive the vehicle. Check the brake pedal for sponginess.

j) Ensure that vehicle exceeds 5 km/h (3 mph) for ABS modulator actuation (self-test). If after ABS modulation the brake pedal is spongy or soft, then re-bleed system until pedal is firm.
Thanks for the response. I can allways count on the forum. Kind of streatched it this time but thanks again
Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Vette4Kruzn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see some have stated the sequence in blue applies to all American cars except Vettes, but the manual for my 2003 Impala shows the sequence:
1. Right rear
2. Left front
3. Left rear
4. Right front

As I recall, the above sequence was also specified for my Saturn LS200. Doesn't seem like you are moving from farthest to closest, but it's what the manual calls for.

i. Right rear
ii. Left rear
iii. Right front
iv. Left front
Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

The C5 sequence changed from the traditional pattern the Camaro follows to the one you've listed when the brake system was revised in 2001.

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding the brakes

Quick Reply: Bleeding the brakes