got rear-ended today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some bad news.

I don't think this will be minor. If it hit that hard, it almost certainly took out the 5mph bumper shocks.

Go to the best body shop you can find and have them call the insurance company. Do not settle for anything less than a perfect repair.

You should also file for diminished value. Some twit t-boned me last November and I got a check for $2800 just for the loss in value to my car.

If you don't get what you want, call YOUR insurance company and tell them you're going to have to file with them because the other company won't fix your car correctly. Let them fight it out. That's why you pay premiums.

But I wouldn't call your own company at all unless that happens. Yes, they will jack up your rates, even if it's not your fault.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test
If you have your insurance fix it, you rates CAN go up if you have 3 (or more) not-at-fault claims in 3 years or less...Ask me know how I know this...
your rate would be affectd Only if your company cannot sbrogate against the other driver - which they very liklely can ... I agree you should consider filing with your company to make sure you are well taken care of. Good luck and sorry for your misfortune -- was the other driver on the phone or what?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Bret01Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working at a bodyshop and having a few C5 apart I would say frame and body should be fine. Rear bumper is fixable, but much easier for the insurance company to get a used one and paint it. They will most likely blend the quarters and might blend the hatch too. Check the exhaust and fix or replace as needed. I don't think it would even hit 2K unless the rear impact bar is bent or something hit the bodytub.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:14 PM
DeBaGo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my pipes from the h pipe back look a little bent. I agree that I think the rear bumper should be replaced. I am just scared of having it painted. I mean wasnt mag red a more complicated color from the factory? I know even the touch up paint is 2 or 3 different ones for layers. Honestly the little chips on the sides freak me out more than anything. I DD the car and hand wash it at least once a week so I KNOW those marks werent there this morning when I left out. And for there to be the same mark on each side is just a little too much. Also it appears the PS quarter and bumper are a LITTLE out of line, the seam used to feel smooth, but now theres maybe 1/16th or 1/8th difference there. I also noticed it broke my exhaust plate. The rings around the logo are missing.

Like I said, it was a pretty solid hit. It folded the nose of her hood, pushed her grill completely in, dislodged her DS headlight and cracked her lower bumper on the DS completely.

I am trying to find a good handful of shops here in Jacksonville to take it to Monday.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:16 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry for your bad luck good luck with repairs
Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Trpblk04
Burning Brakes

That sucks, was she cited?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:38 PM
DeBaGo
Racer

Originally Posted by Trpblk04
That sucks, was she cited?
YES! Cited for carelss driving and listed on police report as AT FAULT.

SO just looking around at GM DIRECT website. HOLY crap parts are pricey

717 for bumper cover
252 for energy absorber
289 for impact bar
now i dont have mufflers anymore, but mufflers are like 650 EACH on there!!!
I figure 150-200 or so for my straight pipes

So that COULD be like 1500 ish in PARTS alone!??!!?!
THe removal and installation $$$$$$$$$$$$$
then repaint the rear and I'd prob make them do hatch and quarters as well to blend it...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think her insurance will wish she rearended a taurus or something instead!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeBaGo
717 for bumper cover
252 for energy absorber
289 for impact bar
if you are pricing from gmpartsdirect, put everything in your cart and go to checkout - their "handling" fees will add another 10-15% to the actual prices which will then be close to what the values are for these parts.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Cod
Bazinga!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

That sucks!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
DeBaGo
Racer

I think i really need to look into the diminished value thing as well. I know I sure as heck wouldnt buy a vette that had been rearended.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 PM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Please go get yourself checked out! I've been in your place, more than once. DO NOT SETTLE on the accident for at least two years. Sign off so her insurance can pay for the damage and get the car fixed.

They will push you for a full settlement. However, with a lawyer they will have to wait. Cars can be repaired, replaced, but you can't be.

No, I'm not a lawyer............. but I've been rear ended several times. I'm now disabled because of lower back problems, failed back surgery. Gee, wonder how that happened?

If they want to play hard ball, maybe they'll be financing your new shiny ZR1.

David
Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 PM
DeBaGo
Racer

Was going through some recent pics of the car and just happened to find some of the rear when the straight pipes were done a month or so ago.
then:

now
Old 07-19-2009, 02:12 AM
Bret01Z06
Burning Brakes

YES! Cited for carelss driving and listed on police report as AT FAULT.

SO just looking around at GM DIRECT website. HOLY crap parts are pricey

717 for bumper cover
252 for energy absorber
289 for impact bar
now i dont have mufflers anymore, but mufflers are like 650 EACH on there!!!
I figure 150-200 or so for my straight pipes

So that COULD be like 1500 ish in PARTS alone!??!!?!
THe removal and installation $$$$$$$$$$$$$
then repaint the rear and I'd prob make them do hatch and quarters as well to blend it...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think her insurance will wish she rearended a taurus or something instead!
Honestly the isurance company will only pay for new parts if they are unable to find used ones that are the same year as your car or newer. Figure about $350ish for the rear bumper, $100 for a used absorber. The impact bar is welded to the frame, so unless it's bent it wont need to be replaced.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:34 AM
TomsZ06
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret01Z06
Honestly the isurance company will only pay for new parts if they are unable to find used ones that are the same year as your car or newer. Figure about $350ish for the rear bumper, $100 for a used absorber. The impact bar is welded to the frame, so unless it's bent it wont need to be replaced.
I ran into the same situation on the used parts except it was cheaper to go new by $2600 which was a no brainer with the insurance company.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:32 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did she even put her cell phone down after she hit you?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I agree! Bring it to at least two performance/Corvette shops, not just a body shop. Don't accept their first low-ball offer either and never accept their insurance shop of choice. Good luck!

The more info, the better off you'll be, and the Insurance Company knows you care for your Car more than the average driver.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 315 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

Default Hidden damage

You have to be extra careful when dealing with a 'corvette repair'. Two years ago, I got hit in the right read side of my corvette by a city metro bus. Nothing major, I was going 10 MPH and the bus was going 5 MPH. I had the good sense to call my friend Jim at County Corvettes Inc, in West Chester, PA ( their a forum supporter) and Jim is an expert at dealing with Insurance companies and he and the adjuster went over the car with a fine tooth comb. It took about a month due to delays in getting a New Tire and wheel for the 50th AE. But when i got it back, I looked it over really closely and I was amazed ! There is absolutly no signs that the car was ever damaged.

BUT it's been over two years and Septa hasn't budged, their not paying. AND there were 11 people on the bus when it hit me, but I'm being sued by 15 people who say they were on the bus? My insurance Company, whom I've been with for thirty years, Well now their really PIZZZED OFF. We're going to court, and we're not going in with some second string lawyer, I'm being represented by a major Philadelphia law firm and he's just as angry. But he said this case, could take another two years to shake out. So whatever you do. .. Don't get hit by a municipal bus system vehicle. You are in for the worse time you've ever gonna have. But at least my 2003 50th AE coupe is in excellant shape and in the garage. I just got a rough ride ahead !

Get notified of new replies

To got rear-ended today!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM
DeBaGo
Racer

SON OF A FRIGGIN BITCH!!!!!!! her insurance cancelled 2 days before the accident and I didnt elect for uninsured motorist this time!!!! DAMMIT! Now it looks like I will have to pay for everything out of my insurance.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 PM
COCONUTS
Advanced

SON OF A FRIGGIN BITCH!!!!!!! her insurance cancelled 2 days before the accident and I didnt elect for uninsured motorist this time!!!! DAMMIT! Now it looks like I will have to pay for everything out of my insurance.

OMFG!

That Really Sucks!

Time to get a good attorney!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
DeBaGo
Racer

iT DOESNT LOOK GOOD. I may have to fix it myself. I have a $500 deductable, but can get a mag red bumper from corvette recylcer for 249. So i dont know what to do yet.

Quick Reply: got rear-ended today!