Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chuck CoW tune ($399) vs. ECS tune ($99)????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chuck CoW tune ($399) vs. ECS tune ($99)????

Now I am really confused. I've spoken to both and they both insist that they have to software that will specifically improve an automatic c5 (99). Chuck's primary "pitch" is that he does tunes for a living while ECS say they "build" high performance vettes and that they offer less expensive tunes (that are identical to Chuck's) for less because tunes are not their primary source of income.

Earlier I posted a thread asking for recommendations/comments on Chuck CoW's tunes and most everything I've gotten back so far has been very positive. I guess I'm now looking for some feedback on ECS's tunes and want to hear what anyone has to say about their work.

The bottom line is.... are both guys providing the exact same tune/service but one can get away with charging $399 and still build a good customer base?

I would really like to get this figured out before I go to the fairgrounds next Thursday to get a tune done by one of these two guys.

Any feedback, comments, recommendations or complaints are welcome.

See you all at the show next week.

Al in Carlisle
Old 08-20-2009, 03:14 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Just to hopefully start this off on the right foot, I really do not want any bashing please from either direction. We both have plenty of satisfied customers, and a good reputations. If you feel $399 for a tune is worth it, by all means go ahead!

You can go to the C5 scan and tune section right now and see independent dyno testing of my mail order tunes, that and the tons of Corvette track records speak for themselves IMO. We have the stock bottom end track records for both C5 and C6, and then there is our fast cars...

Most of the fast cars applications do not apply at Carlisle, but when you have tuned thousands of Corvettes by now, with records in every venue, it's hard to say that we cant tune a stock car as well as anyone.

We will be the only tuner in Carlisle that will offer to dyno your vehicle before and after right then and there, and we have every capability or more then every other tuner there.

We feel $99 is a fair and reasonable price on both ends, and giving specials at shows is what a customer should expect! Thats where the term "show special" comes from!!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:21 PM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy ECS customer here!!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vette99coupe
I guess I'm now looking for some feedback on ECS's tunes and want to hear what anyone has to say about their work.
I had ECS dyno tune my car last Oct. at their shop after they installed AR headers, x-pipe, hi-flow cats and TI catback. Doug Ring did the tuning. Super nice guy, a real professional. Just to give you an idea of what the tuning process was like...Doug started by attaching his laptop to my car and ran a program for about 20 mins. Then he did some tuning with the car idling at the shop. He then attached some exhaust sensor and took it out on the street for a while. He came back and went back out again...no idea why but I guess that's part of the tuning "magic" Last he put it on the dyno for 3 pulls and it was done. The car runs great. Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) or "skip shift" was gone and the car overall felt so much quicker...I'm sure a good part of that was because of the new exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70oMvNUlqSQ

I'm sure things will be different at Carlisle...maybe it's something like their mail order tune?

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ynotuning.html
Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will chuck even have a dyno there? I thought he didn't even have a dyno at his shop.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by nickolbag
Will chuck even have a dyno there? I thought he didn't even have a dyno at his shop.
I dont think he is bringing it but I am almost certain he has a DynoJet 224X at his shop but I am sure Chuck will confirm...
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Like I said earlier on the phone.....

Originally Posted by vette99coupe
Now I am really confused. I've spoken to both and they both insist that they have to software that will specifically improve an automatic c5 (99). Chuck's primary "pitch" is that he does tunes for a living while ECS say they "build" high performance vettes and that they offer less expensive tunes (that are identical to Chuck's) for less because tunes are not their primary source of income.

Earlier I posted a thread asking for recommendations/comments on Chuck CoW's tunes and most everything I've gotten back so far has been very positive. I guess I'm now looking for some feedback on ECS's tunes and want to hear what anyone has to say about their work.

The bottom line is.... are both guys providing the exact same tune/service but one can get away with charging $399 and still build a good customer base?

I would really like to get this figured out before I go to the fairgrounds next Thursday to get a tune done by one of these two guys.

Any feedback, comments, recommendations or complaints are welcome.

See you all at the show next week.

Al in Carlisle
Like I said earlier on the phone..... I guess the only way to know for sure what best suits your type of driving and expectations is to get both.

Like I offered you earlier.....Try ECS FIRST. If you're satisfied...Go home with a smile, save some bread, and...YOU'RE GOOD!

If you wanna lick another lollypop and get a taste for what I offer...Try what thousands of my very satisfied C5 automatic customers have experienced.

If you happen not to think my tune suits you or your style of driving....I'll give you all of your money back sunday afternoon (along with your other tune) ABSOLUTELY NO RISK.

I won't do this for everyone...But, I'll do it for you.

Here's a link to your other thread.

Feedback in your other thread...

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 08-20-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,113 Likes on 986 Posts

Chuck?
ESC?

Do you guys lock the tunes?

Yes or No?

Problem is I know is a couple of guys want to add some mods but the tune is locked!

They live in Vegas and the tuner is thousands of miles away.

Mailing the PCM back and forth is not a viable option because of the down time and quite frankly it is difficult to tune a modded car when you don't have the car.

And they don't want to buy a new PCM as one guy already did because the tuner that charged him $500 to tune refuses to unlock it.

Last edited by Vega$Vette; 08-20-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the custom tunes only available for automatics? I'm about to take delivery of my new 97' C5 6 speed. I'm going to add an intake system right off the bat and it already has flowmasters on it. I know it isn't headers, X-pipe, and catback, but that will be done later after I get a chance to hear some systems first hand. So with the basic exhaust and better flowing intake system mods, can a custom tune do anything for the LS1?
I am planning on changing to 19" CCW Sp500's soon as well, should I wait? Sorry for all the noob questions.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Chuck?
ESC?

Yes or No?
Thats definitly something anybody considering a tune should look up. Never get a tune if they lock the PCM.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default No locking tunes of any kind.....

Chuck?
ESC?

Yes or No?

Problem is I know is a couple of guys want to add some mods but the tune is locked!

The live in Vegas and the tuner is thousands of miles away.

Mailing the PCM back and forth is not a viable option because of the down time and quite frankly it is difficult to tune a modded car when you don't have the car.

And they don't want to buy a new PCM as one guy already did because the tuner that charged him $500 to tune refuses to unlock it.
Nope...Neither ECS or CoW lock their tunes.

Chuck coW
Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Nope...Neither ECS or CoW lock their tunes.

Chuck coW
That's good news. I thought you locked yours or used to perhaps.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default No sir....

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Are the custom tunes only available for automatics? I'm about to take delivery of my new 97' C5 6 speed. I'm going to add an intake system right off the bat and it already has flowmasters on it. I know it isn't headers, X-pipe, and catback, but that will be done later after I get a chance to hear some systems first hand. So with the basic exhaust and better flowing intake system mods, can a custom tune do anything for the LS1?
I am planning on changing to 19" CCW Sp500's soon as well, should I wait? Sorry for all the noob questions.

No sir... Don't apolagize...NOOB questions keep us in business!

Yes, absolutely you can get fantastic gains with a good tune.

No, don't wait! When I tune your car, I have a NO-CHARGE RE-TUNE policy. When you come back to me with mods you install yourself (or I install) I RE-TUNE YOUR CAR FOR FREE!

Can't beat that!
Chuck CoW
Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Yes, absolutely you can get fantastic gains with a good tune.

No, don't wait! When I tune your car, I have a NO-CHARGE RE-TUNE policy. When you come back to me with mods you install yourself (or I install) I RE-TUNE YOUR CAR FOR FREE!

Can't beat that!
Chuck CoW
So he's in Cali and you're in New York?

How does that work?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So he's in Cali and you're in New York?

How does that work?
Yeah, how does that work?? That is also a great service Chuck. I plan on modding it as I go so that would be a great. I didn't plan on having this car, it just fell into my lap so to speak. My friends dad wanted me to have the car so he "Made Me An Offer I Couldn't Refuse" ; )
Now I have this dream car and don't make enough to do everything all at once. So I will upgrade as my wallet sees fit. Other than the intake, I plan on fixing any and all cosmetic flaws first to get the car back to mint. Wheels and tires are part of that mix. But the tunes sound very reasonable so this sounds like a must do. What kind of gains can you expect out of them? Let's say a stock LS1 with a cold air intake system(not sure what one to go with) and a cat back. Car has Flowmasters on it but I'm not sure if it just had mufflers installed or if it has an actual system on it. What difference could the tune provide? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I sent my computer for to Chris and the guys at ECS. I am very happy with the results of my mail order tune. Shift points are so much better. The overall performance of the car is night and day different. I wish i would have done this sooner.
I am sure Chuck does a great job as well.

I just wanted to say i am another Happy ECS customer

no matter what way you go it will be a huge gain from the factory settings so you really cant go wrong doing this.

Make sure with both your very detailed as to what mods you have done as in a mail order tune your information is very important to them

Get notified of new replies

To Chuck CoW tune ($399) vs. ECS tune ($99)????

Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Very happy with my tune from ECS. Enjoying my 465rwhp N/A daily driver in I84 traffic with the AC on high!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a nOOb question.

What tuning program do you guys use for the mail in flash's? Also for data logging after we get the PCM back to make sure no other parameters need to be tweaked what program do you recommend?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 PM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

whats it like for a 6spd...???

Quick Reply: Chuck CoW tune ($399) vs. ECS tune ($99)????