Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:02 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by itzza427
Factor H is mainly structural rigidity. Exhaust is a rapid SERIES of pressure wave pulses. It was learned a long time ago that you gain maximum HP/torque when there is a path for these pulses to help even the pressure. Ford has had crossover pipes on V8's since the 60's to the best of my recollection.The X is just a modern out growth of the H,,smoother blend,,no 90 degree bend/openings to disturb the flow. We're not talking major gains here..just a few,,as stated,,just makes the most of what you have. The new firing order of the LS ,with the basically straight through individual pipes lend itself to the odd put-put or motor boat idle sound when louder/free flowing mufflers are added(stockers mask it).An X gives a smoother blend of the pulses,,smoothing out the sound for aftermarket mufflers,,gaining a little bit of torque (mostly) and HP to boot. It also relieves most of the crackle-pop on deceleration as well. The most benefit would be seen with a set of long tubes and an X as close as practical to the header collectors. The main benefit for non-modded cars is sound improvement,,with a bit of efficiency thrown in the bargain. Hope this helps clarify the muddy waters a bit.
I've heard x-pipes can help cut down the drone some aftermarket mufflers put out at freeway speeds, care to comment?

Also, I kinda like the crackle pop, wish I could cut down on drone but keep that.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flaagan
I've heard x-pipes can help cut down the drone some aftermarket mufflers put out at freeway speeds, care to comment?

Also, I kinda like the crackle pop, wish I could cut down on drone but keep that.
I actually like both

-Alex
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
I actually like both

-Alex
The drone may not be as much of an issue when I swap trans out for a stickshift, but being a 'vert I get enough noise in that thing already!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flaagan

Yes they will tame drone to some extent. Rode with a friend several years ago to Fun Fest in an 01 A4. Even though he had Corsa Touring,,there was a certain RPM range where there was a light but noticeable drone. He had a Corsa X-pipe installed there,,and it was totally gone on the ride home and there was a noticeable smoothing effect to the overall sound!! I'm sure it is NOT going to work miracles,,but it WILL be of some help. Maybe from unbearable to just kinda annoying? It could make the difference if it is just kind of borderline annoying and bring it to tolerable!!The blending of pressure CAN take the edge off of what would be a resonant wave. Sound is VERY subjective,,one mans noise is another mans music!! Give it a try and see.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 AM
0Todd@EastCoastCorvettes
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just in case you have not seen the picture on my web-site, i took a picture showing the restricted factory H, this image illustrates why it is so restricted. the X-pipes from Bassani, MagnaFlow and WCC are all completely open.

Click here for the original X-pipe, developed by Bassani and currently on sale, 10% OFF and FREE ground shipping.

Click here for MagnaFlow X-pipe.

Click here for WCC X-pipe

I hope this helps.

Todd
East Coast Corvettes

Last edited by Todd@EastCoastCorvettes; 11-03-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Bassani Exhaust Sale
Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
roadracerex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about HP? Which one makes the most? I am not talking about what is written in a sales brochure. Dyno numbers? Anyone? I have the 12649 Borla exhaust and SCCA stock rules will let me change the h-pipe as long as I leave the cats. I want the most power, regardless of sound.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Todd@EastCoastCorvettes
Sweet jeebus, it's that restricted?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
0Todd@EastCoastCorvettes
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadracerex
How about HP? Which one makes the most? I am not talking about what is written in a sales brochure. Dyno numbers? Anyone? I have the 12649 Borla exhaust and SCCA stock rules will let me change the h-pipe as long as I leave the cats. I want the most power, regardless of sound.
the 3 i listed link to, are all going to be the same. as you can see from the images, these 3 have the same style open x.

i was there when the bassani was dynod back in 1999 i think and the #'s listed are what we saw on the dyno, it showed a peak 6hp and 8 ftlbtq. there was a gain for both #'s all the way across the graph, but those are the peak #'s and what everyone advertises.

Todd
East Coast Corvettes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadracerex
flaagan,,its not that it is that restrictive,,you have full 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipes all the way back. With this set up it is just the fact that there is no help whatsoever from the H. It is just 2 independent pipes to the rear. To respond to roadracerex,,that to would be hard to quantify,,even on a chassis dyno. If you are running a stock ECM EVERY time,,for quite a few pulls,, your drivetrain will show HP and TQ gains JUST from doing WOT runs!! A couple of years ago Valvoline used my FRC on a dyno display at the Mid-West Nationals close to St.Louis. They did 3 pulls the first round,,then 2 every hour for a total of 13 pulls. I had only a Blackwing and Corsa Touring,,still had the stock H. RWHP went from 323.4 to 338.9 and torque went from 324.5 to 348.9. The ECM "adapts to a point to the type of driving you do. My car saw only street driving before. The computer kept doing minor "tweaks" to air fuel,,resulting in power/torque gains. Took it to test and tune a couple of days later and finished the night with a 13.08/110.24 in stock Goodyears. Further street driving"de-tuned" and later T&T nights only netted 13.1"s and 13.2"s. My opinion,,that muffler and X-pipes get SOME of their gain JUST from the ECM tweaking settings. This would make it difficult to determine just how much of the effect is computer,,and how much is the new system!!The different systems ALL will help,,but the differences are not enough to worry about. Pick one you like,and or get the best price on. There is NO real perceptible difference in performance as best as I've been able to research. A few laps with generous amounts of WOT time will be giving you maximum performance. A dyno tune that would lock in these WOT parameters would give you the best bang for your buck!!

Quick Reply: H-Pipe vs X-Pipe