Sponsored by:

A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Mark I
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few questions

I'm fairly new to corvettes and this C5 is my first. There are several of recent threads related to run-flat tires and some ads by sponsors for protective auto bras. I have two questions,

First, I assume the car was OEM equipped with run flat tires due to the lack of a spare. If you replace them with non-run flat tires are you just resigning yourself to wait for a tow in the event of a flat?

Second, I can see the value in putting a bra on the nose to defend against chips to the paint. How well do these things dry out after getting caught in the rain? Seems like taking it on and off would be a pain.

I'm driving it 3-4 days a week on a 70 mile round trip commute so I'm curious. BTW, the OEM tires ARE noisy as described.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Personally, I don't have a problem with the stock runflats. Nice insurance to have them on a trip. Many like the non-run flats because they are a bit quieter and may ride a little better. You can carry one of those compressed air/fix-it cans in the event of a flat.

As far as the bras, I had the GM bra and thought it was ugly and a PITA to put on and take off. I went with a 3M clear bra and had it professionally installed. You can barely detect that it's on the car, they provide excellent protection, and your car looks the way it's supposed to.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Torchblue
Racer

I run non run flats and carry a small air compressor and some tire inflator in case of a flat. I still have my run flats and can put them on if I take a long trip.

As far as a bra goes, I use a Speed Lingerie bra and I highly recommend it. It is color matching and holds up very well. You can drive up to 150mph with it although I don't recommend it. I also have their hood boot and their mirror covers. The bra itself is not really difficult to put on or take off. I will warn you it is not cheap. You can find it on SpeedLingerie.com

Lots of luck with you car.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mark I
I'm fairly new to corvettes and this C5 is my first. There are several of recent threads related to run-flat tires and some ads by sponsors for protective auto bras. I have two questions,

First, I assume the car was OEM equipped with run flat tires due to the lack of a spare. If you replace them with non-run flat tires are you just resigning yourself to wait for a tow in the event of a flat?

Second, I can see the value in putting a bra on the nose to defend against chips to the paint. How well do these things dry out after getting caught in the rain? Seems like taking it on and off would be a pain.

I'm driving it 3-4 days a week on a 70 mile round trip commute so I'm curious. BTW, the OEM tires ARE noisy as described.

Thanks
run flats aren't exactly the best of tires as far as handling and noise, but that is the trade off you choose to make for the security of knowing you can continue down the road a bit if you ever find yourself in that position. remember that most runflat tires restrict your continued travel to under 50 miles once you have a "flat" or you can write off the tire as far as repair and continued use. that said, there are OEM runflats and many "replacement" runflats. most of the replacement runflat tires offer much improved noise and handling characteristics over the OEM tires. regardless however, runflats do not perform as well as non runflat tires and it all comes down to your comfort level. with your commute, my personal opinion is to consider one of the non OEM runflats when the time comes, it may just make life easier one day.

as for the front bra, with the exception of the invisible protection mentioned above, virtually all protective bras are a PIA to put on and off. once they become wet from a rain (or morning condensation if that applies) you really need to remove it and let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling it. if not, it will become a dirt collector and scratch your paint, and the dampness will eventually cloud the paint. they do make a "spandex" type bra that will protect the front end from dirt and bugs, etc, but offers little in the way of protection for stones, etc.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I carry a tire plug kit & 12v air compressor ... I carry a can of Fix it Flat ... only in the case the plug doesn't work. Had to plug a tire once, got me home 500 some miles later .... when I got time took to shop and had it patched.

I have a GM front cover for my C5, works very well ..... 1st time installation is a pit ..... afterwards have no problem. I don't think it's that bad to get off or back on. Good Luck
Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
shaggyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '19, '21

First off "Welcome". I too carry a small compressor and also a can of spare tire in a can or what ever it's called. All the auto stores carry them. Also a good idea......AAA and a cell phone. lol

Dave
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by capevettes
Personally, I don't have a problem with the stock runflats. Nice insurance to have them on a trip. Many like the non-run flats because they are a bit quieter and may ride a little better. You can carry one of those compressed air/fix-it cans in the event of a flat.

As far as the bras, I had the GM bra and thought it was ugly and a PITA to put on and take off. I went with a 3M clear bra and had it professionally installed. You can barely detect that it's on the car, they provide excellent protection, and your car looks the way it's supposed to.
First off, Welcome. I happen to run the stock 'Runflats' and really wouldn't do without the insurance of being able to still drive once a tire goes flat, (And once I did have that happen) But if the tire noise is too much, there is a number of different makers of the 'Runflat' technology, so you can ask around the different forums about which one is more quiet than the stock Goodyears.

I have a GM factory produced bra, I only use it if I'm going on a trip longer than 100 miles, and once I get home, I wash the front end so that any sand or grit is washed away. I'd never leave a bra on for too long. The constant buffering or moving will cause scratches if you leave the bra on for too long.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Welcome!

I sell the bras and I suggest taking them off after long trips etc.

We have them for $94 on the website

http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...&categoryId=14
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
John-F
Drifting

Check this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...my-bumper.html

I strongly recommend the 3M product, professionally installed.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

won't fix a flat mess up your presure sencer
Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 AM
2KROADSTER
Instructor

Welcome. The first mod I did was to get rid of my run flats and replace with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. Incredible improvement in ride and noticeable decrease in road noise. My spare is a AAA Motor card.

Get notified of new replies

To A few questions

Quick Reply: A few questions