Sponsored by:

Safest way to make 500-550 HP

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The ECS Paxton Novi 2000 gives you 475-500 RWHP. Check their website at East Coast Supercharging. They're a forum vendor. It will give you some good ideas if nothing else.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
MPM IV
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
My friend had a setup like that, his engine now fits loosely in a 5 gallon bucket. He started with a 75 shot, then 100, then 150 and I think he did 200 which caused the "5 gallon bucket" thing.
Well if it's happened once they must all do it!

Everything is unreliable if it isn't done properly.

Safest and cheapest are rarely the same. If you want 500-550rwhp on the stock bottom end you should probably do the blower. Even if you met your HP goal I think you would have considerably less Tq than with the blower, which makes for a less fun car.

Safest and best IMO would be a stroker, but it's also the most expensive. Nitrous would be the least expensive, but on a otherwise stock car it'd only be fun when spraying.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basically I want a reliable built driver -I usally just drive it BTTW on weekends, not my daily driver. I am looking at getting into 1/8 and 1/4 mile car- would like to be in the competitive in the 11's and possible 10.5 class//Will FI hurt my 1/8 times?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Elite_vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Saleen SC with 525RWHP with a Vortech Supercharger.... I love the sound of a supercharger, although it does come with a price...

** You will have more wear and tear issues with a Turbo and supercharger kits if it is a DD**

NOS is the best bang for the buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO OTHER Performance part can give you what NOS can for the price..

Moreover, you have less wear and tear on your motor by using NOS, inless you also drag race your car often... NOS is there for when you need it...

There are risk by using NOS backfire's and other issues by over using NOS... If your car is Stock it is SAFE to use a 150 Shot of NOS.... I would not use anything bigger..

NOS will give your car 500 hp at the flywheel...
Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

My H/C package yeilded 504/425 rw about 4 years ago on the stock bottom end... and its very driveable. Runs 10s through the stock 3.42 rear and stock trans. It certianly can be done. But It's a whole lot easier to do, and cheaper with our SC Setup.... and the best part is if you decide you want more you can always just turn up the boost.... you'll start at around 500-550 rw on a stock car with stock driveability. add some other supporting mods (like meth, headers or a blower cam) and 700-900+ are attainable, without ever changing the SC kit. Hell, Doug is running essentially the stock C5 kit in his C5 vert, that went 8.63 @ 158. (just boosting the heck out of it ).

So the easiest, and cheapest way to get there is our SC kit...and it will leave you plenty of room to grow. But its still hard to deny the NA route.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
chris holmes
Racer

Have a tuner install you a low boost supercharger on your stock block. You will reach your desired horsepower level pretty easily, and it will be fine as a daily driver. I drove mine for over 2 years as a DD. You then have the option of forging the bottom end and increasing the boost if you need more power (which I ended up doing). I went with ECS in NJ, and I can highly recommend them.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike69
My H/C package yeilded 504/425 rw about 4 years ago on the stock bottom end... and its very driveable. Runs 10s through the stock 3.42 rear and stock trans. It certianly can be done. But It's a whole lot easier to do, and cheaper with our SC Setup.... and the best part is if you decide you want more you can always just turn up the boost.... you'll start at around 500-550 rw on a stock car with stock driveability. add some other supporting mods (like meth, headers or a blower cam) and 700-900+ are attainable, without ever changing the SC kit. Hell, Doug is running essentially the stock C5 kit in his C5 vert, that went 8.63 @ 158. (just boosting the heck out of it ).

So the easiest, and cheapest way to get there is our SC kit...and it will leave you plenty of room to grow. But its still hard to deny the NA route.
Beat me to it. If you anticipate doing alot of HPDE events the ECS h/c is the way to go. I've been in Mike's car. Great balance of power and everyday driveability. If you are looking for larger power down the road (no pun intended) the ECS s/c kit is the best starting point.

I almost bought one of their customer's cars, an FRC with the same kit, but he decided to hold on to the car in the end.

Good luck.

Last edited by cjlaw73; 12-11-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here are my thoughts in order of cheapest and least safe to most expensive and safest:
nitrous
H/C + all bolt ons
supercharger
turbos
bore & stroke motor + H/C

I went the route of a ECS supercharger. Ran it for about a yr at 550 rwhp before I busted 2 ring glands. I then forged the bottom end and am now at 750 rwhp.

No matter what you choose, get ready because this is just the beginning. Next you have to address teh rear end, clutch, drivetrain, etc. It costs $$ to go fast.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Thickraybans
Racer

Originally Posted by Bullet Proof
I should have clarified. No smog inspections here so no cats. I was wanting 500 rwhp not at the flywheel. From what I've read I believe the lower will handle 500 hp...550 is pushing it?

I've been running close to 600rwhp on spray for quite a while without any FI related mechanical failures. At the HP level you're looking for the main issues you will have are, tires, you need them big, soft, expensive ($800 bucks a summer for me.), and they don't last long, or you just can't use the power. Once you get traction then driveline components will break, unless you don't really use the power.

If I were starting over with my car I would first upgrade the clutch, then long tube headers, exhaust, supercharger & tune.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
gradykd
Instructor

This package below will get you there easy, with a LS6 intake manifold & tune. The best I've seen. You can't beat it. It can cost around $4700, installed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PAR-8402/
Old 12-12-2009, 01:09 AM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See sig. below.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Location: Ok! So you don't believe in conspiracies, but will you acknowledge the possibility of there being coordinated activities in secret places? Texas

Originally Posted by gradykd
This package below will get you there easy, with a LS6 intake manifold & tune. The best I've seen. You can't beat it. It can cost around $4700, installed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PAR-8402/
You think I think
This kit with LS6 intake, long tubes, and a tune will NOT get 500 horsepower to the rear wheels of a otherwise stock 346c.i. LS1 shortblock.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 PM
gradykd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mister Peebody
You think I think
This kit with LS6 intake, long tubes, and a tune will NOT get 500 horsepower to the rear wheels of a otherwise stock 346c.i. LS1 shortblock.
I know that. 500HP to the crank. That's what he's looking for. Not 500 rwhp
Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Shan15
Heel & Toe

F/I it.

A&A bolt on kit will get you 500rwhp. With basically no other modifications.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Location: Ok! So you don't believe in conspiracies, but will you acknowledge the possibility of there being coordinated activities in secret places? Texas

Originally Posted by gradykd
I know that. 500HP to the crank. That's what he's looking for. Not 500 rwhp
Really? Because he said...

Originally Posted by Bullet Proof
I should have clarified. No smog inspections here so no cats. I was wanting 500 rwhp not at the flywheel. From what I've read I believe the lower will handle 500 hp...550 is pushing it?
But maybe you know what he meant to say.

Quick Reply: Safest way to make 500-550 HP