crappy Russell adapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Padler
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crappy Russell adapter

Per this "closed" link, I am having the exact same concerns...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...ct-danger.html

I have -6AN stainless fuel line in my engine compartment & need a fitting/connector/adapter to hook the GM Snap-Lock hardline coming from the fuel tank/pump into the engine bay to my stainless line. Currently using the Russell 640850 and have it reinforced so it won't come off under pressure using special silicone tape that's impervious to fuel. It's a crappy way of doing it but the Russell connector is so flimsy, I'm aftaid it'll pop off and spill fuel onto my hot exhaust.

Per the attached thread, I contacted DTE thinking they could help (and I am a previous DTE customer) only to be told, "We no longer manufacture or deal in any engine performance parts, sorry." No suggestions, recommendations, etc. even though their response in the post seems that they are there to help in this serious situation that can cause your beloved car to literally go up in smoke.

DOES ANYONE MAKE A GOOD QUALITY CONNECTOR TO HOOK THE STOCK FUEL HARDLINE TO A -6AN LINE SIMILAR TO THE RUSSELL 640850? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:09 PM
densz06
Cruising

i had same problem using there fuel line adapter,it,s not the fitting but the clip inside of it that stopping it from clipping on to the hard line.i work for a chrysler dealership as a tech we use this style connector on are fuel filters.you can buy them at a parts store or go to a dealer and ask a tech if has some lying around. its the plastic clip inside.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

After I had one of these very same adapters separate on me and spill fuel on my hot exhaust (which started a fire), I contacted Russell and was told to go pound sand by one of their corporate lawyers. Hopefully Russell falls off the face of the Earth in the near future, because they don't give a flying fu#*k about their customers.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Dorman makes the fitting. Summit Racing carries them. Supposedly superior to the Russell fitting. I myself am going to try and braze an AN bung on the hard line on the car. Dont really need a QD. I dont plan on removing the fuel line all that often.

Last edited by ssmith512; 01-25-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Padler
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default ordered part(s)

Thanks for the input, guys! Yeah, I can't believe Russell would sell a part so flimsy that handles fuel!

Anyway, I ordered both the plastic replacement clips (set of 5) as well as the steel (stock style) clips from Amazon....see which works better (plastic or steel). Went to Summit Racing but they're currently out-of-stock on these Dorman items.

Get notified of new replies

To crappy Russell adapter

Quick Reply: crappy Russell adapter