Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Kwiklift...WOOT WOOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
LQQK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Choreo, Do you have a pic of your jack pad you made up. I'm looking for ideas for mine. I don't need any more mishaps.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 AM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I've had one of these for a while,just sold it. Here are a couple of observations to address some of the questions/statements.

Parking:
I ALWAYS parked on it in the inclined postion,for weeks at a time. Never had an issue,always ready to jack up if I wanted,and much easier(read lazy) than setting it up each time I might want to check for a leak or noise or whatever. Also, some guys you see have 3" grip tape applied. Very good idea and practical for this unit. 1 strip down the middle will work for the vette,maybe more for other cars.

Also a note about parking on it inclined. Athough some may want to back their cars down off the lift before starting for the oil to level out,which is not really a bad idea at all,I view this as no different than parking on a steep hill(think San Francisco). I had no problems ever and really see no difference here,but that's just me...YMMV

Alignment:
Do yourself a favor and take some time initially to (if you have 2 bridges,which I recommend) .......
1.) park your car on the lift where you want it.
2.) Note where you want the bridges in relation to the front and rear carriage.( Directly underneath it and test it with a bottle jack and some 2X4 blocks to make SURE you have it right)
3.) Once you have done this, check and make sure the lift tube will clear the bridge nearest the tube when raising/lowering it without obstruction.(yes,it can happen)
4.) Once all this is completed ,mark EVERYTHING,including your car's position on the rack.( For me,this was done by making a horizontal line on the lift. Once I cleared the garage door I would crack open the driver door just enough to see the lift. There is a small "notch" in the door jamb or sill area that I used as an indicator to my car's position.If you make your mark on the lift by comfortably/naturally postioning yourself and sighting down this notch,you will know where to place your mark.
5.) After all this is done,drill a couple holes and bolt the bridges in place,just so they don't move while approaching.

Once all this is done,you will have a lift customized to your car and ALWAYS postioned properly and ready to lift by any means. It is WELL worth the time spent, trust me on this.....
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK
Choreo, Do you have a pic of your jack pad you made up. I'm looking for ideas for mine. I don't need any more mishaps.

This is the one I had made. I started with the standard saddle that came with my jack and ground out the curves (according to the instructions that came with the Kwik Lift). In my case my large floor jack would only go about 19" high (about 1" short of what the Kwik Lift required) so I compensated by purchasing a 2" extension pad from Griot's (where I got my jack) and had a welder weld the two together.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Blue 92

The rear legs are in the raised position.

To park flat you fold up the rear legs and pull the front legs out with the ramps on the ground.

To park on the angle or uphill you just leave it like this:
i have had one for about 3 years and always park on it. i have never lowered the front end and park on it with the ramp "raised" so to speak. admittedly, i park either of my corvettes on it at all times, and neither is a daily driver by any means. when the 04 is on it it gets on and off about 3 times a week under normal circumstances, when the 78 is on it (which is when it is at home and not in the restoration shop, lol), it gets on and off about once a week on average. you kind of adjust to driving up hill and in my case, i use spots on the surrounding sides for pull up positioning and have gotten pretty good at centering the cars side to side on the ramps, lol!

in my case, storage is at a premium and it is easier to leave it in the "uphill" position at all time. it also cuts down on the time it takes me to make the ramp usable for whatever mechanical operation is to be performed.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003VETT
http://cnj.craigslist.org/pts/1566875537.html

Heres one for sale in NJ. This one is ten minutes from my house! he wants 899 for it, but there are no pictures.
Just bought it yesterday What a nice lift!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome addition!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rjb6mt
Just bought it yesterday What a nice lift!
I picked up my Craigslist lift yesterday also. Car is sitting on it now all tore apart in the middle of a header install. Mine came with the 4 pc. caster set which was a big help assembling it. Very well built unit.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

[QUOTE=flynbya2

5.) After all this is done,drill a couple holes and bolt the bridges in place,just so they don't move while approaching.
:[/QUOTE]

I agree with all you advise except this. The bridges can aid in other operations in addition to just lifting the car. I would definately not secure the bridges to the ramps.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Been looking at them for years. Great setup.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 AM
peacekeeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
I agree with all you advise except this. The bridges can aid in other operations in addition to just lifting the car. I would definately not secure the bridges to the ramps.
I installed hardened clevis pins with a cotter pin type fastener. When I need to remove the bridge, it's as easy as pulling the pin. The bridges also help getting the ramps width perfect for the car since I have to widen them for my truck.

Quick Reply: Got my Kwiklift...WOOT WOOT!!!