Sponsored by:

Installing FM Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Z06Fanatic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing FM Modulator

I'm installing am FM Modulator to be able to connect any portable MP3, iPod, etc,

It requires power so can I tap into the Cigarette Lighter wire? or will this drain the battery.

If I should tap into one of the radios wires, which one?

Thanks!

Here's the Modulator I'm installing:
Old 02-19-2010, 01:18 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you mounting and how long is the wire that connects to the power source? If possible, I'd recommend tapping into the wiring harness located behind the kick panel in the passenger side footwell... The harness you want has three wires in it an orange, a yellow, and a black. The black is the ground and the other two are power.

One of the two power wires (I'm pretty sure it's the yellow one) is only hot when the car is either on or in the acc power position. That way it won't draw from your battery when they key isn't in it...

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
casisthefirst
Pro

do NOT tap into a constant 12V wire such as the cigarette lighter wire. The modulator will constantly be on therefore draining your battery. I made this mistake when I installed a double din a few months ago. Needless to say my battery would die every few days (if i didnt start the car) and it took me months to realize this even though i am an electrical engineer
Old 02-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Z06Fanatic
Instructor

okay thanks guys! I'm going to look for that yellow wire and get the install going today.

I'll let you guys know how good this works. I've been wanting this setup for a while. Only spent about $28 for the modulator
Old 02-19-2010, 02:23 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my V1 and my Garmin power cord hardwired in the manner I described above. My ipod connects directly to my radio through my iPod2Car cable. Here are some pics of the harness that might help you. They are from my V1 install. Looks like it definitely is the yellow wire.

Here's the link to that install thread in case it helps you... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...pliced-in.html

Last edited by cdkcorvette7; 02-19-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

personally i would do the diy add an aux to the radio mod so you dont have to deal with a crappy fm modulator
Old 02-19-2010, 04:11 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I am a bit with the above post.

I hope you enjoy your modulator, but my experiences in the Memphis area have been far less than satisfactory.

I have to constantly change the station to find one that is not occupied. At best, the sound quality is acceptable, and to be honest, I just got tired of messing with it.

The "hard wire" method is much more user-friendly and after it is all hooked up, it is uch easier to enjoy.

Good Luck though, I hope it works well for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing FM Modulator

Quick Reply: Installing FM Modulator