Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever had a seat upholstered?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tampatopless
I have started a couple of threads on this. I am looking at recovering my seats as well. I have researched this pretty thoroughly. You can buy the covers - or skins - over the Internet and install them yourself or have someone else install them. You probably might as well buy the foam as well, at least for the driver's side. Passenger side may not have as much wear. Recovering a seat without replacing the foam on an older car is kinda like painting without prepping. These covers will range from $699 a pair to $2000/pair, depending on the vendor. The $699 has been advertised a lot of times on this forum. The $2,000 is at the higher end. The highest I priced was Vette Essentials. CarSkins, Ecklers and others are in the middle, ranging from $800 to $1,200.

Here's what's interesting and what I'm finding out: When you go to auto upholsterers in your hometown, they are gonna offer to make them for and install them. This is the option I am considering. This way you get to the look at the leather (apparently the quality varies greatly), the quality of stitching, etc. There is much variety in this. You also get to look at the quality of their work and they are responsible for the entire thing - very important. If you buy the skins off the Internet and take them to them, and they screw it up, they can always blame the manufacturer. Price on install ranges from $100 seat to $150 a seat. A lot of people install them themselves, and I checked out a couple of posts on here where it shows how do it but I don't have a lot of time to invest. Someone who knows what they are doing can do these things in about 90 minutes. A do-it-yourselfer may take from 2 to 4 hours if they are handy. I don't have a lot of space and it would probably be a day-long project for me.

HOWEVER, on the other hand, I want mine to look like stock and for that, you probably need to go to one of the vendors who specialize in vette covers. I dropped by the Vette dealership today (Ferman in Tampa) and the guy was trying to talk me into the stock covers, which he said were "part leather and part vinyl." He said that the factory GM seat covers on C5s were leather on the seat and back and vinyl on the edges. Don't know if it's BS or not. The guy wasn't really forthcoming. In fact, there was a ZR1 in there for about $120,000 and I have been considering buying one since I'm sitting on a little cash and wouldn't have to flinance it. However, I was looking a little scruffy at the time and was driving an 00 Vert.

He then informed me "people don't test drive" ZR1s. When I said I would probably wanna drive a car I was about to drop $125,000 on, he then said something about "driving it around the block."

I'm test-driving the 911 this weekend and it was a cinch to set up. And I will take it on the Interstate and put it through its paces. The funny thing is that I am a Vette guy and vastly prefer the ZR1 (and the price).

Anyway, back to the leather. Don't rush into anything. Use Google and this forum and talk to people. My next step is to hit the local Vette club and see what the members have done. Don't really know a lot of them but they seem like good folk.

I will PM you if I make a decision.

good luck.
The dealer is correct. The seats are part leather part vinyl. I seem to remember any part you touch is leather.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

I recovered the seats on a 99 vert I owned, myself for $350 (+$50 for embroidery) I bought leather skins that are close copies, from an ebay supplier. Email me direct at ron.dittmer@att.net and I will email you some pics of them. People without a keen eye, won't notice the difference.

I did replace the seat base cushions, which greatly improved the fit there. I reused the back cushions, but they could have used replacing as well. I could have added some batting in a few places to fill in better.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,579 Likes on 665 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by rdline
As far the best bang for the buck and a quality leather seat that I have seen in person, Chris at Carskinz who is a forum vendor here does a very nice job.
Bang for the Buck??? Read on...

The leather on my seat from Carskinz actually tore a little and was not cut correctly behind both seats. There are permanant green marker lines on the leather where the halo is. Also, I had one heck of a time getting the skins smooth and taut (he shoved them in a box, all folded up and wrinkled, when he mailed them). I couldn't understand this at all and was rather upset when I saw this type of packaging. I also had to use stuffing to get the skins to fit properly. I put at least 60 hours total into the installation (over a period of 3 weeks) because I wanted them to be as close to perfect as possible. They were smooth as silk when I was done but that's because I had to iron the leather for hours on end and stuff the seats. I hardly drive the car and still, that smooth leather wrinkled up rather quickly and they are no longer smooth-looking. Another small but noticeable detail were the black zippers on the middle insert cushion. The seats are shale.. he must have run out of lighter colored zippers...I will say, overall they are nice but a huge part of that was because I made them work with an immense amount of time and effort.

I would certainly not pay that kind of money again ($1300+). I don't see where anyone could believe this is "bang for the buck". There are plenty of vendors who do quality work for much less. (I never mentioned anything about the seats because I made them work and overall they look good.) I haven't spoken to him since the install a while back.

Here's where things get VERY weird: The other night, I was on the computer and Chris from Carskinz sent me a PM. I opened it and it was a virus that knocked out my screensaver wallpaper and blanked out the screen. It then put some girl's face on my computer screen as the wallpaper. This is not something I'd expect from someone who's suppose to be a professional vendor on this forum. If you're reading this Chris, that was very unprofessional and uncalled for.

Last edited by Shirl; 03-05-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Al Knoch

There is a small vette shop here in Tampa and the guy does mostly mods. Every now and then when a customer asks for recoverings, he uses Al Knoch. I think he orders from there and puts them in himself.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by El Paso Vette
I had my 02 done by Al Knoch in El Paso. It was outstanding. He specializes in Vette seats.
Reviving and old thread i live in el paso were is this place?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
I just looked at the Vette Essentials site. I have done upholstery on collector cars for the last 25 years. I would be ashamed to put out work like I saw on the photos of their seats. They were full of pulls and wrinkles. A properly made, properly installed seat would not look like they did. Just my opinion based on 25 years of doing upholstery.

Kmcold, that is a very interesting and revealing post. I have wondered for some time whether a (renown) local upholsterer would be a better decision than buying "mass-produced" skins. Your post gives food for thought!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM
rwlc5
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I have two-tone covers with the C5 logo embroidered in the headrest from www.C5seats.com. I think they look just as god as Vetteessentials. The quality and fit is excellent.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
c5vinman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hard to DIY unless you come across something like this, I found this small piece of plastic 1" x 1" X 5/8" just lying on the bottom cushion when I was removing it,. Does anybody know what it is" Please help so I can put it all back together, Here is a pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3351711...in/photostream
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirl

Here's where things get VERY weird: The other night, I was on the computer and Chris from Carskinz sent me a PM. I opened it and it was a virus that knocked out my screensaver wallpaper and blanked out the screen. It then put some girl's face on my computer screen as the wallpaper. This is not something I'd expect from someone who's suppose to be a professional vendor on this forum. If you're reading this Chris, that was very unprofessional and uncalled for.
I doubt very much that Chris actually sent the message; it sounds like his computer was infected with some self propagating bot malware that appropriated his e-mail contact list and sent infected messages to everyone on the list. It could happen to almost anyone (who still uses Windows).
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
fishbust
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are different ways to go with covering.
You can pay 400 for covers plus new foam, 1200 for covers plus foam, and then plus labor.
Things these days are much easier if you are considering doing your own work. 30 years ago we had to break things to figure out how things worked and went together. These days some surfing, a couple you tubes and you have a good clue what you are doing, just lack the experience. Getting the experience doing it is the fun part.

I did new foam, new covers, upgraded the notorious seat tracks, also converted along the way from standard seats to sport seats. It was fun and rewarding, even with a few wrinkles.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM
OneFast1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
I just looked at the Vette Essentials site. I have done upholstery on collector cars for the last 25 years. I would be ashamed to put out work like I saw on the photos of their seats. They were full of pulls and wrinkles. A properly made, properly installed seat would not look like they did. Just my opinion based on 25 years of doing upholstery.
You are not being fair in your assessment of VettEssentials, I feel. You should take into consideration the installer. Most of the seats you see on the sites are installed by DIY people and do not represent a professional installation. A person of 25 years in the business like yourself knows that there are many tricks to getting a seat to fit the upholstery properly, and most people don't know that.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I knw this may notbe the route that most of you would take,but I couldnt see paying humdrds of dollars to re-skin my seats so I bought these plain black neoprene seat covers and attached these ZO6 emblems. They fit well and are comfortable and has the look that I wanted. And I didnt break the bank either.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rwlc5
I have two-tone covers with the C5 logo embroidered in the headrest from www.C5seats.com. I think they look just as god as Vetteessentials. The quality and fit is excellent.
I have been looking at the two tone sport seat covers from the same site how are they doing for you ? all ok on the construction?

I think I need an early birthday gift to myself

Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrumm
I have been looking at the two tone sport seat covers from the same site how are they doing for you ? all ok on the construction?

I think I need an early birthday gift to myself

Thanks
I also have the seat covers from Corvette Originals (C5seats.com). They are top notch and are holding up very well. The fit and finish is excellent. I highly recommend them. Mine are black with grey inserts and embroidered logo. I get nothing by compliments.

Last edited by Cybermind; 02-11-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I also have the seat covers from Corvette Originals (C5seats.com). They are top notch and are holding up very well. The fit and finish is excellent. I highly recommend them. Mine are black with grey inserts and embroidered logo. I get nothing by compliments.
Thank for the reply

I was looking about the black with the white trim. I'm a little worried about the white. my car is white and I think the black white combo would look good My vett is my fair weather weekend car. So it should stay fairly clean. I hope
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Mine are from DJ Motorsport. I'm happy with them.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Seat covers

Originally Posted by wheelhorse
Al Knoch is "THE MAN" when it comes to Corvette seats. I did my 95 sport seats..tourch red..and the quality was top shelf. Check out his web site for yourself.
Good to hear. He is installing new cushions and covers this March in Sevierville Tn at the Corvette Expo for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone ever had a seat upholstered?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed new sport seat covers from Vette Essentials as many have done.They fit very well and I am very pleased. I believe that they are made from a pattern, as the seats are basically the same for each time period.I also think that the difference in wear might be one reason why some covers don't fit as well as others. If all the seat foam would be replaced at the time of installation then I believe they would all be very close to a perfect fit.The low cost for this great improvement is fantastic IMHO.
FRED

Fred
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Steve Alan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not the greatest pic, was with my old cell phone.

$460 for the material with discounts at XMAS time and $280 for the install.

He built up my foam with new but didn't replace it.

I was really pleased for the $740 plus a $20 tip.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM
davette2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the c5seat.com seat covers they are good quality buy new seat foam I installed them myself in about 4 hours out and back in the car no problems. they look great

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever had a seat upholstered?