C5 Catback exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 PM
plad99FRC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Catback exhaust

Hello folks,

Im looking into putting an exhaust system on my 99 FRC. After searching the web I think i like the corsa pacecar and GHL bullet systems the best. Couple questions for anyone that might have similar experience.

Im looking at this as an investment in sound (Throaty but not screamin loud) more so than performance. Are these systems a good choice?

Approx how much would it cost to get installed if i took it to a mechanic?

Is this going to affect Maryland state emissions testing?

Is the price of a crossover pipe worth the $$$?

****I just heard about the NXT Step system as well. Any opinions on how it compares to the two above?

As always, thanks for your time and assistance. Spring cruising is right around the corner!

Last edited by plad99FRC; 03-15-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the GHL Bullet setup on my '99 coupe. Paid $899 (including tax and shipping). Got from HRW Motorsports. It was a couple hours labor so I guess the price would depend on where you have it installed - or maybe do it youself. As far as noise, it is louder then the Borla Touring cat back that came with the car. On a stock car, is not too loud, though. Apparently the noise doesn't get into the upper decible range until you get into headers, cams, etc.

One thing - the stock clamps are pretty light weight. Had to replace mine with heavy duty double-bolt clamps. Keep that in mind.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Joey1121
Burning Brakes

I have a Corsa installed. Did not notice too much difference in sound until I had a set of headers installed. Also, I live in the Baltimore area and I was told that as long as you keep your cats you should be OK for emissions. Hope this helps. If you are ever in the Baltimore area and want to hear mine you are more then welcome. Also, I have a CCW x-pipe in case you are interested.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
rwlc5
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I have had GHL bullets for several years with a magnaflow x-pipe. It is fine as far as emission tests are concerned. I wuld recommend Gallants automotive in Bel Air for installation.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,306 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm running the Corsa Indy exhaust on mine - nice sound, so much better than stock. The X-pipe will smooth out the exhaust flow, maybe make a slight difference in the sound. Up to you whether you want to install one now or wait until/if you get headers.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Borlas might be to loud for you
Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I am running Corsa Indy's and the quality and sound are great. The Touring were too close to stock for my taste.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as install goes,,ANY shop worth their salt should be able to do it in 30 minuets,,including a short coffee break!!! I did my own in 45 min. and that included about 15 min. wasted trying to wrestle them out without loosening the sway bar supports!! Even 1hour is sticking it to you,,unless that is a minimum charge!!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
plad99FRC
Advanced

Thanks for all the great input! I looked at enough of the threads on here for the "NXT Step" exhaust and i think im gonna go with that. With the bucks ill save i can put towards a future purchase of headers. Love this forum, great folks lovin a great car.

Heres a vid of the system on a stock vette. Not great sound quality but im ready to whip out the credit card. Thanks again all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GAouFOu54
Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

NXT Step Cat-Back exhaust is an EXCELLENT choice. I have that system and I simply LOVE the sound and quality and looks of it.

THe Stainless Steel Polished Quad Tips are amazing quality and finish and the sound has no drone at all on the freeway but gives the sound of a nice muscle car when you accelarate and at idle.

The welds are PERFECT and the material that is used to manufacture this system is just as good as those that cost $1,200 (in my opinion) - you can read so much more about them in various threads concerning the type of Stainles Steel, ect.

I found mine on Craigslist (used only about 6 months on a Sunday driver and removed before the guy sold the car). I paid only $200 for the system and it was like new in and out. It cost me $80 to have the local garage install it plus the cost of the exhaust gaskets (2).

I would gladly buy another NXT Step if I had to. They sound great and I am not affraid of this system regardless of what others may say about a system that is made in China - Once you see it, you will agree that it is very well made.

Feel free to PM me if you would like me to answer any additional questions of my experience with the NXT Step Cat Back Exhaust.

Originally Posted by plad99FRC
Thanks for all the great input! I looked at enough of the threads on here for the "NXT Step" exhaust and i think im gonna go with that. With the bucks ill save i can put towards a future purchase of headers. Love this forum, great folks lovin a great car.

Heres a vid of the system on a stock vette. Not great sound quality but im ready to whip out the credit card. Thanks again all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GAouFOu54

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Catback exhaust

Quick Reply: C5 Catback exhaust