Tinted window pics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tinted window pics?

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

According to that link, you can have your front windows tinted to 70%... That's not a lot, but I'm wondering what it looks like.

Anyone with that kind of tint?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

you probably won't even be able to tell they are tinted, and not worth it IMO. I've seen 50% and it looked like a waste of money.

Tint is supposed to darken the windows, not put a clear protective film on them..
Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Here's mine with 20%

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Burgie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Cali4nia it is illegal to tint the front side windows. Behind the driver's position and the back windows are OK. Nothing from the driver/passenger position forward-not even a clear film. FYI
Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good!!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM
SmittyChevy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I put 50% on my windshields and would put 70% on them but 70% is barely even noticeable, but it still will block 99% of UV rays (if you get the right film like Llumar).

If your worried about the law, go with 35%, you can still see in and out pretty well but it will only allow 35% of the light and will also block 99% of the UV rays.

Here is my STi with 35% (llumar - 35 Charcoal)

Last edited by SmittyChevy; 05-27-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20% - I was pulled over 5 min. after I left the place. Only pic I have for now:

Slightly ironic too because I had 20% on my old MazdaSPEED 6 for a year and a half and never got hassled for it:

Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

go for 50%, here in the bay anything lower and you will get a ticket
Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Mtlfusion
Drifting

Tint them and don't worry, just pull your windows down when you see the LEO's!
And get the Blackouts for the front turn signal, and take out fuse #2, will look stealthy!

Last edited by Mtlfusion; 05-27-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I guess I'll go to my friend's tint shop. I have friends here that did darker tints on their front windows, although I don't know if they've gotten tickets from it. My car is yellow and stands out pretty well. My friend's dad says he'll tint my car for free since I fixed their computer a couple times. LOL

Originally Posted by Burgie
In Cali4nia it is illegal to tint the front side windows. Behind the driver's position and the back windows are OK. Nothing from the driver/passenger position forward-not even a clear film. FYI
That's not correct. It's illegal to put any sort of film on the windshield here, but you can use low reflecting lamination on the front side windows as long as they don't block more than 70% of the light. Which is why I was asking about 70% tint.

The main reason for this is that I drive during the day a lot and my skin burns easy. I'm often trying to move my left arm out of the sunlight so I don't get burnt. My right and left arms never match anymore.

As for legality, my mother's car came with both front side windows tinted from the factory. It's really light, hardly noticeable. But when the sun is blazing in and you roll up the window, you notice the difference right away.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM
otg1sl
Advanced

I went with 20% in the back and 35% on the sides. Anything darker for me and it makes driving at night a challenge.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, but I'm looking for pics of lightly tinted windows. I know what dark will look like, but I'd like to see what the difference between no tint and 60-70% tint is.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 PM
turbocrazy
Racer

I live in NY where the same rules apply. I have debated the tint ordeal a few times. However passing a cop without tints is a nice feeling. It depends on your situation. I am already rocking no front plate and a loud exhaust which is definately grounds for two tickets or a pull me over and bust my ***** trip. I think that if I had the third ticket, tinted window, I would always get stopped and be fed the line of bullsh*t " Well I could write you for three summons however I am gonna cut you a break and only write you one." .

On a lighter note the color of your interior will strongly affect how transparent your tints look. Obviously the lighter your interior color the more transparent your tints will look. I doubt you will notice anything with only 70% on the front two windows, however you can tint that back as dark as you want usually per the law.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

35%....

Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by turbocrazy
I live in NY where the same rules apply. I have debated the tint ordeal a few times. However passing a cop without tints is a nice feeling. It depends on your situation. I am already rocking no front plate and a loud exhaust which is definately grounds for two tickets or a pull me over and bust my ***** trip. I think that if I had the third ticket, tinted window, I would always get stopped and be fed the line of bullsh*t " Well I could write you for three summons however I am gonna cut you a break and only write you one." .

On a lighter note the color of your interior will strongly affect how transparent your tints look. Obviously the lighter your interior color the more transparent your tints will look. I doubt you will notice anything with only 70% on the front two windows, however you can tint that back as dark as you want usually per the law.
I think I'm going to do 35% on the back and 65% on the fronts. I had 35% on the back with my trans am and it was perfect. My goal is to keep the car cooler during the day and prevent myself from getting burnt when I get on the road as I usually have a truckers tan by the end of the week.

I don't have a front plate either, but that's the only thing the cops could pull me over for. I don't care about making my car look better with tint and I don't care about privacy. I'm an exhibitionist to begin with. 65% front tint shouldn't look dark enough for cops to bother me. I have all black interior and that's not going to change. But I get where you're coming from with the lighter interior.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in California, side front windows has to allow 70% of light in, per law. CHP love to ticket for darker. City PD, don't really care unless you fail the attitude test. I used my friends Mercedes 550 with 30% and I could not see at night, it was way to dark for me to even see where I was parking. Just remember, you could be the one they hit, thus the reason the laws are tough on front side windows. It's all cool until you make a right on someone crossing at a light because you couldn't see them.. ain't worth it... Good luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I agree... Again, I don't care about how dark it is as long as I don't get burnt by the sun. I'm just looking for UV protection and to keep the car cooler. 65-70% is fine with me. I know a lot of guys on here want that limo tint thing, but I'm an exhibitionist so I don't care if people see me or look in.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 AM
SuperFastVette
5th Gear

20% looks perfect if you ask me.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Badd LS6
Drifting

5% limos

Get notified of new replies

To Tinted window pics?