Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
RamAirTA
Instructor

Location: I'll Keep My Guns , Freedom And Money. You Keep The Change. FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by road dog
don't let the myths of hurricanes scare you
you only have to worry if you live on the cost once it's inland it's just a bad tropical storm good luck on your move
I'm calling Bull****. You didn't go threw Charley, Frances and Jeane in the span of a 6 weeks. I was in the DIRECT path of Charley and Jeane and they certainly were not tropical storms. I was living in downtown Kissimmee at the time Charley rolled over us and it was wrecked. No power for about 17 days combined( 10 for charley and 7 for jeane). Trees ripped apart, roofs gone etc.. Just saying.

That being said, FL is a great place to live. There are some great driving roads from central Fl to north Fl. No State Tax and 2nd Amendment friendly . Just watch for the red light runners. Today I watched 2 cars and a truck blow threw a light 2-3 seconds after it was red. At 50mph plus no less.

Last edited by RamAirTA; 06-02-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Florida is a great place to live, it has ALL the things mentioned
and NUDE Beaches. Is this America or what???!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I don't live there year-round but one thing I hate in the Fort Myers area is the horribly long traffic signals, and, get this....left turns have the first priority when the signal changes!....very hard for us midwesterners to get used to....the wait sometimes seems like an eternity to go in a straight line through the intersection...very bazaar because in most parts of the country the through traffic always has the right of way.
What's worse IMO is when they have a left turn lane with no left turn signal. One car, maybe two gets through!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I lived in Clermont for a few years and most of what has been said about Fla. is true. All have failed to mention the rain storms. The rain some times comes down in torrents and I hardly ever took a ride on one of the turnpikes in a really heavy rain w/o seeing at least one car off due to hydro planning. Friend called me last week from Clermont and said his daughter had slid off the road in her new Chevy pick-up and tore up the front end in heavy rain.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RamAirTA
I'm calling Bull****. You didn't go threw Charley, Frances and Jeane in the span of a 6 weeks. I was in the DIRECT path of Charley and Jeane and they certainly were not tropical storms. I was living in downtown Kissimmee at the time Charley rolled over us and it was wrecked. No power for about 17 days combined( 10 for charley and 7 for jeane). Trees ripped apart, roofs gone etc.. Just saying.

That being said, FL is a great place to live. There are some great driving roads from central Fl to north Fl. No State Tax and 2nd Amendment friendly . Just watch for the red light runners. Today I watched 2 cars and a truck blow threw a light 2-3 seconds after it was red. At 50mph plus no less.
I agree. I also expect an active tropical season this year. You can almost feel it.

The "good" thing about hurricanes is that you know they are coming. Compared to when I lived in the Midwest and a Tornado would rip through a town at 2AM. That happened to some family members in Plainfield. My uncle woke up in his underwear pajamas with this roof blown off. Nasty!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default it's your move

Moved here from Culvert County Md. Within one year we had 3 local hurricanes (incl Opal) to welcome us to the Sunshine State. Hope you have a better 1st year starting in less than 25 days.

In some areas you can drive along the beach. Soon you will be able to get free oil there too. Yes free; all you can carry. But on the way home don't get struck by lighting with your targa left behind.

Yea that red light camera bill was signed into law so anticipate some rear action or pay $158 up front. While you got your wallet out don't exceed by ten unless you got abt another 200 and feel lucky doing it like everyone else.

'Va is for Lovers'. We have plenty of em too.
You know what one Sarang Bug says to another? Don't let a windshield hit you in the arz while we fly united...famous last words from 'our' local Lovers!

Be on the lookout for bear, crocs, snakes, and human predators while cruising in your vette. Carry heat or it will carry you. And don't forget to brush up on your HS Spanish so you can speak the same language.

All in all it's wonderful. Like no mo annual Va tax on your vette or state income. And no mo winter pot holes that swallow cars as stated. Sinkholes, maybe, but no potholes.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 AM
RDKING
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moved to Fl. three weeks ago and I love driving my vette any time I want. I moved from just outside Chicago. I have been down here in Sarasota in the fall and winter and it is awesome. Taxes on my larger home in Fl. than Chicago are half as much and car tags and license are less exspensive. Life is good
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
mr.632
Instructor

Default Thanks

Thanks for the infro can not wait to get there ,might put my 8.0 65 chevelle back on the street, what you guys think about that .
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Don't know abt the 65 chevelle but your vette is already certified as a DD on this one -
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2606902

btw: not to worry abt any of that neg stuff. That just happens to other people in other parts of FL (not the part you're moving to)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Dream C5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be nice to be young and retired Lol! Havent heard from u in while.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 AM
mr.632
Instructor

Default yo....

Originally Posted by Dream C5
Must be nice to be young and retired Lol! Havent heard from u in while.
whats up cuz ,still got them parts ,come on down when you can
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM
CurbsEnthusiasm
Racer

I've lived in Ft.Lauderdale my entire life, I've been other places but always consider South Florida to be the best mix of everything. I avoid Miami like the plague unless its absolutely necessary to be there. Dark tint, blacked out lights etc I've never had an issue but maybe its my PBA badge on my tag!?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
kenc5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved down here in Nov 2006. Right at the peak of the market. In St. Charles , IL I paid close to 6K in taxes. In Apopka, it was 3K. No State income tax. House value dropped by 50%. Now I owe more than it is worth. Taxes went down to 2.4K cause the house value is crap. We have a lot of forclosed houses in the subdivision, turning into eyesores.

The weather is nice most of the time. It can get so hot in Orlando, we are experiencing 90s ever day, but in the winter we have the best weather.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

One critical thing to remember........ For some reason, people in Florida think it's optional to stop for red lights!!!! And I'm not kidding.So, if you are first in line at a red light,Wait a few seconds after the light turns green and look both ways if possible. It may save your life!!!Good luck and welcome to sunny Florida!!! P.S. Summer in Florida is a tropical depression!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 PM
jeremyttt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kh400
One critical thing to remember........ For some reason, people in Florida think it's optional to stop for red lights!!!! And I'm not kidding.So, if you are first in line at a red light,Wait a few seconds after the light turns green and look both ways if possible. It may save your life!!!Good luck and welcome to sunny Florida!!! P.S. Summer in Florida is a tropical depression!!!
It is true that the stop signs with the white trim around them are optional, only the solid red stop signs due you actually have to stop at
Old 06-04-2010, 03:44 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by CurbsEnthusiasm
I've lived in Ft.Lauderdale my entire life, I've been other places but always consider South Florida to be the best mix of everything. I avoid Miami like the plague unless its absolutely necessary to be there. Dark tint, blacked out lights etc I've never had an issue but maybe its my PBA badge on my tag!?
me too, but i disagree about miami. of course it depends on where in miami, but it's a great place to go to also. of course I DON'T have a PBA badge on my license plate, so maybe that's a good thing, lol!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Can't believe no one mentioned the love bug's in May and September!

Get notified of new replies

To moving to fla.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GrandpasC502
Can't believe no one mentioned the love bug's in May and September!

...or what I call, "Vette stays in the garage months".
Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srs244
me too, but i disagree about miami. of course it depends on where in miami, but it's a great place to go to also. of course I DON'T have a PBA badge on my license plate, so maybe that's a good thing, lol!
Theres no one worse then BSO
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by D&A'sDad
no pollution controls = headers /loud & free flowing

dark tint

black outs

nice flat level roads for lowered vettes

no snow/no ice = no salt or chuck holes that swallow cars :o

year round vette driving on very long, very straight, and sometimes very empty roads = the need for sp**d
I don't know what part of Florida you live in , but I got 3 window tint tickets in the past 3 months on all 3 of my cars at $100 a pop. Got another ticket for a very light tinted license plate frame on my truck. In Orlando we never have empty roads and trying to find one that isn't under construction is Damn near impossible!

Quick Reply: moving to fla.