Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scared to buy C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been a long time owner of a C3 and a long time owner of a C5, and I still currently own both. The C5 was and is a giant leap forward over every generation before it, and the quality of it IMHO is far superior to the C3. I don't think that realistically you have anything to fear in going to a C5 from a C3.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,347 Likes on 14,002 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Bad thing is you usually only hear about the problems people are having with their cars - hardly ever do you see a post from all the other owners that have nothing but positive things to say about the C5. I'm on my 3rd C5 and yes, there have been some problems, just like any other car, but nothing to make me want to abandon my ownership of the car because of mechanical failure.

My '99 had zero problems in a bit over a year of ownership, my '00 had the oil consumption and leaking differential seal issues in 7.5 years of ownership (both problems fixed within the first 3 years of ownership), and my '03 has had zero problems in a year of ownership.

If the car has been well maintained and you have it checked over by a good mechanic, that should put your mind to rest. I bought my '03 basically sight unseen (except for photos) and drove it home from NJ to MO. Put a smile on my face every mile of the way.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
bentonbobcat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C-5 are great cars.I had a climate control issue and rear window problem.Thanks to the Forum , both problems I fixed myself.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0331MARINE
I've had my 01 for 3 years and never had a single problem. Most things that go wrong can be fixed using one of the DIY on here. Every car has its problems.
if your look for a car that you'll never have to fix one thing or another your in for a rude awakening it dosen't exsist c5 is as good or better than any vette ever built . you have to consider whos driving it and how it's being driven if you run any car hard enough some thing is going to give but under normal drving conditions it a very relyable car because
its built to be driven hard it's a factory race car from show room to the track and i'm pretty sure you'll never drive it as hard a as it could be driven with that additude you'll never enjoy anything you'll own lighten up
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
TopFuelTim
Burning Brakes

Default Don't be afraid, you can do it

If you can do a lot of your own work, this forum can save you a lot of $$. I've had the usual minor issues, but was able to find the fixes here. I'm getting ready to fix the dim heater controls, but am not that worried, as there are plenty of directions on the site how to fix them. My vette now has 113,000 miles on it, and still looks new. My favorite addition was putting a HUD in. With technical help from Josh Meeks (PaceThis I think was his handle), it only took five hours start to finish. Love the car! My Y2K is light years ahead of the '69 I owned 30 years ago.

Tim
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had a C3 and currently have a C4 and C5. Don't be scared, it'll be ok. You will love the C5.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
laurelboy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11
Default feeling better

I really appreciate all the imput about my fears of the C5 and you have made me feel much more at ease about it. I am still negotiating and am hoping to get it down to about 17000 but he seems firm about the 17900. Wanted to make the deal today but will now give it until next weekend. Thanks for all your thoughts and please keep them coming and I will let you know if I am lucky and become a C5er. laurelboy
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Just my opinion, If you really like the car I wouldn't let 900 bucks keep you from getting it, 17,900 isn't a bad price if it is in good shape and is what you want, In a week it could be gone.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 PM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my C3 and bought a C5 and have had it for 5 or 6 years now and have had very little problems. If you read these online comments left by people it makes you scared to purchase anything. From lawnmowers to cell phones they put doubts in your head. Buy the car they are a pleasure to drive especially compared to a C3.
Sold my C3

bought this with no regrets except for not making the move sooner
Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Armyboy79
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't be scared about buying a C5 like most forum members say. if you have a problem post it up and someone will have the answer or point you in the right direction. when you tell a repair shops that you own a Corvette the cost of the repair will go sky high.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:52 AM
98blownvette
Instructor

I've had mine for a little over 2 years but I have only been able to drive it maybe 10 days all together. Awesome car . Like others have said you can have car problems with any car. If you do the stuff yourself you are ok. Im rather new to this forum but, it seems like they got a good bit of info on how to repair/ replace stuff. Just go in and do it, you wont regret it.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by 98blownvette
I've had mine for a little over 2 years but I have only been able to drive it maybe 10 days all together. Awesome car . Like others have said you can have car problems with any car. If you do the stuff yourself you are ok. Im rather new to this forum but, it seems like they got a good bit of info on how to repair/ replace stuff. Just go in and do it, you wont regret it.
You have had your car for over 2 years and maybe have driven it 10 days total?
Why even have it?
Mr.Bill
Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 AM
98blownvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
You have had your car for over 2 years and maybe have driven it 10 days total?
Why even have it?
Mr.Bill
I'm stationed in Hawaii and the car is in Kentucky. When I iniatially bought I did plan on shipping it over here and I didnt plan on staying here for another two years. But I'd never ship it over here, too much money to do that, environment and the roads suck here. Plus I am kinda inbetween setups for it. Don't worry when I get back state side Ill probably drive the crap out of it.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

More than likely most if not all of the warranty issues should have been taken care of by now. Check the history and then decide if this is the one for you
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by 98blownvette
I'm stationed in Hawaii and the car is in Kentucky. When I iniatially bought I did plan on shipping it over here and I didnt plan on staying here for another two years. But I'd never ship it over here, too much money to do that, environment and the roads suck here. Plus I am kinda inbetween setups for it. Don't worry when I get back state side Ill probably drive the crap out of it.
OK, Thats a good reason, Thanks for your service.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Bobd207s
Burning Brakes

Location: Cancer Sucks - please donate to Corvettes Conquer Cancer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

We purchased our 01 Coupe in Oct 2006 - it had 18k miles. We now have 73k on it have driven up and down the East Coast numerous times , been to Bowling Green twice and hoping to get there again this fall. I've had to replace the thermostat, battery and now the Oil Pressure sensor needs to be replaced. The car has been fantastic , great gas mileage and more fun then we could have imagined. I would say go for it - if you don't like it there is always a buyer for it.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
wascapsfan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my 99 C5 for 2 years and other than oil changes, I have repaired EVERYTHING myself with the incredible help from the people on this board. Most of my repais have been the Car stereo mod, The moving seat problem, adding things like seat warmers..., brakes (which can be done VERY inexpensively, etc...
The biggest problem I have is the desire to add different Mods. I'm satisfied with the power of my C5 so those mods are not that necessary but the car has been an absolute pleasure so far...

Get notified of new replies

To scared to buy C5

Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 AM
mistermog
Drifting

I might chime in on this one too. I drove 1200 miles each way to go buy a 00 coupe with 90k miles on the clock 4 years ago (I cant tell that part without giving HUGE kudos to StangKiller, if Chris is even still around). In the 4 years I've had it, I've put another 76k on it and the only thing mechanical to fail has been a knock sensor and a hairline crack in the end tank on the radiator.

Absolutely the most reliable car i've had.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2000 FRC is a daily driver and has 72k on it. It is highly dependable and I don't regret the purchase at all. I've had a couple of minor repairs now but they were inexpensive and about what you'd expect on any 10 year old car. I have a C3,4 and 5. The C4 and 5 are the most dependable cars. The C5 is the most enjoying car to drive. Check the car out to make sure it has no problems now and you'll not regret it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by mistermog
I might chime in on this one too. I drove 1200 miles each way to go buy a 00 coupe with 90k miles on the clock 4 years ago (I cant tell that part without giving HUGE kudos to StangKiller, if Chris is even still around). In the 4 years I've had it, I've put another 76k on it and the only thing mechanical to fail has been a knock sensor and a hairline crack in the end tank on the radiator.

Absolutely the most reliable car i've had.
I'm around...but now in Houston.

Quick Reply: scared to buy C5