2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Vert Sound System Question

My next mod is to update my stereo with a new NAV/Speaker System. Dennis and Pat have already done their magic on the console and DD radio bezel and I've picked out the new Kenwood DD head unit.

I plan to purchase the head unit and install the system soon, however during my down time I had a general question for C5 Vert owners...

The system I am looking to install includes a new sub woofer in the trunk storage area next to the rear fascia as well as two new front door speakers replacing the OEM Bose speakers. My question is whether or not my existing Lloyds cargo mat and my existing trunk partition will need to be removed in order to enjoy the benefits of the new sub woofer? I think the cargo mat will probably cover the sub woofer grill. However, since the sub woofer is more for the bass response, does the speaker grill need to be exposed?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:52 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by MSG C5
My next mod is to update my stereo with a new NAV/Speaker System. Dennis and Pat have already done their magic on the console and DD radio bezel and I've picked out the new Kenwood DD head unit.

I plan to purchase the head unit and install the system soon, however during my down time I had a general question for C5 Vert owners...

The system I am looking to install includes a new sub woofer in the trunk storage area next to the rear fascia as well as two new front door speakers replacing the OEM Bose speakers. My question is whether or not my existing Lloyds cargo mat and my existing trunk partition will need to be removed in order to enjoy the benefits of the new sub woofer? I think the cargo mat will probably cover the sub woofer grill. However, since the sub woofer is more for the bass response, does the speaker grill need to be exposed?

just go with a stealth box and but the factory center cover back on. You will be fine
i have the boxes hopefully coming in this week
89.99 for the stealth
25 stealth 10 inch
25 stealth 12 inch
94.99 for the flush mount
25 flush 10 inch
25 flush 12 inch
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 PM
BLK RED
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
just go with a stealth box and but the factory center cover back on. You will be fine
i have the boxes hopefully coming in this week
89.99 for the stealth
25 stealth 10 inch
25 stealth 12 inch
94.99 for the flush mount
25 flush 10 inch
25 flush 12 inch
Where do you relocate the remote CD changer to if you use the center storage bin for the sub?

Doug
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by BLK RED
Where do you relocate the remote CD changer to if you use the center storage bin for the sub?

Doug
side compartment
note
you will only be able to keep the changer if you use the pac aoem-vet1 harness with the factory radio.
if you plan on using an aftermarket head unit of any type you wont be able to use the changer anyways
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

do you have any pics of the stealth box install? how much usable space does it take up? i never thought i'd get another sub for a car, but hey, who knows!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by tdogg21
do you have any pics of the stealth box install? how much usable space does it take up? i never thought i'd get another sub for a car, but hey, who knows!

I have one of a box I was selling. This will be same fitment but only one single sub. I will not have the 2 10 or 8 inch option available anymore
looking at .78 on usable aispace

Will have plenty of pics when they get here.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
My question is whether or not my existing Lloyds cargo mat and my existing trunk partition will need to be removed in order to enjoy the benefits of the new sub woofer? I think the cargo mat will probably cover the sub woofer grill. However, since the sub woofer is more for the bass response, does the speaker grill need to be exposed?
I have a 2001 vert with the amp and dual voice coil Kicker 08s8l54 Solo-baric L5 8" Subwoofer installed in the large center storage area. The factory lid is installed on the storage area and I also have a Lloyd full cargo area mat and the subwoofer works great.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by RJRSW
I have a 2001 vert with the amp and dual voice coil Kicker 08s8l54 Solo-baric L5 8" Subwoofer installed in the large center storage area. The factory lid is installed on the storage area and I also have a Lloyd full cargo area mat and the subwoofer works great.
and a nice KEnwood flip out nav

thanks again
Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
and a nice KEnwood flip out nav

thanks again
That's true Dennis, I have a Kenwood KVT-516 single din with a Kenwood/Garmin KNA G610 nav unit & KNA-NT100 Traffic Receiver that I bought from Dennis installed also.

The entire system is awesome and I have had it installed for about 2 1/2 months and it worked great on my trip to Lake Tahoe last month. Love the Kenwood unit with the USB input. I have a 4 GB thumb drive plugged in with 24 CD albums on it. Sure is way better than the old 12 disc changer I use to have.

The base response on the system is very good and could not be more pleased with the entire setup.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I installed a 10" sub in the center rear compartment in the wife's coupe and have it covered with the compartment lid as well as a cargo mat and it sounds and works great.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys. Some of these systems in the pics above look so good I wouldn't want to cover them up. My two primary concerns was (1) the cargo mat and (2) if I could continue to carry around my golf clubs.

The stereo tech I'm working with told me that the unit looks OEM and will not stick out of the storage area and that I can continue to carry my golf clubs, however I did not mention the cargo mat.

I also have a nice angled trunk partition that I installed that I would also like to keep as it keeps the top protected from any trunk cargo, like the golf clubs, when down.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

i have done a number of cars including verts with box under the cargo cover and a loyds matt (or similar)

you will lose some output by covering it up but it will still sound great
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg (Pentavolvo) helped and designed mine. 2000 Vert. I have the center cubby lid and a Loyds cargo mat. I have driven with the lid and mat in and out and my wiser but older ears can't tell the difference.

The only design details I gave Greg and wanted was it to be totally stealth, and I had to be able to carry my usual 2 sets of clubs and top down. The sound is w-a-y better than the factory and except loosing my center cubby, no one knows it's there. Mark

Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'd suggest, cutting a hole in the carpet to allow the sub to poke through, and mount the subwoofer grille on top of it.

If you cover it with carpet, the sub will have to work even harder to get to a the same volume as an exposed sub. Remember that sound is made by moving air around and carpet is often used as a noise cancelling material.

Get notified of new replies

To Vert Sound System Question

Quick Reply: Vert Sound System Question