Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Looking to upgrade my C5 Z06 Exhaust.. any recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermusclez
A few of you are saying that the stock Ti's will sound pretty good, so I'm thinking I may not need a new catback??

if I could just get away with getting new headers, x-pipe and a tune, I think I can get it for well under 2k correct?
Yes. The Ti's will sound very good and are very light-weight and virtually impervious to rust/rot.

I would use the money spent on a replacement cat-back towards a set of LTs and tune.

I have Kooks LTs with X-pipe/cats, a small 228ish cam, UD pulley and a Halltech CAI. Sounds great (maybe a little quiet at idle, but awesome at WOT) and made 421/400...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 AM
WarpedZ06
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good options, but I still don't understand or don't appreciate why one adds a heavier exhaust set up to the mix. LT headers, x pipe and TI exhaust sounds killer.

Adding weight just for decibels or fancy tips............I just don't get. To each their own, I guess.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
silvermusclez
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mph1972
I am certain that you can find what you are looking for under $2K. You may even be able to go new on some sets up and get a tune for under $2K.

My friend has a 2002 ZO6 with the American Racing Headers and x-pipe on it through the Ti's and it sounds good. It really depends on you. Maybe buzz the area you are in and listen to others set ups and see what you like best.

My 2000 had a nice N/C setup with the DYNATECH LTs and x-pipe and the Ti's and I had a lot of people tell me how great it sounded.

Good news is, my tuner is your area and there is also ENGLANDGREEN in your area. He has a shop and I know he can help you find the right setup for you. He also tunes and has a great rep for doing good things with member's and other cars.

Micah
Micah, I appreciate all your help man. I will definitely be keeping in touch with you.

I think I'll eventually get the AR headers and X-pipe thru my Ti's (and get the tune) and see how I like that... if I want even more, maybe later I'll get the Borla Stinger muffler system.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:27 AM
OneBadvATE
Advanced

XSPower Headers w/ X-pipe

I just picked up a set of these and the quality is excellent. The best part is the price $899 shipped for headers and the x-pipe WITH cats! You can of course opt for no cats and save $150. Just thought I would put this out there...
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Micah, I appreciate all your help man. I will definitely be keeping in touch with you.

I think I'll eventually get the AR headers and X-pipe thru my Ti's (and get the tune) and see how I like that... if I want even more, maybe later I'll get the Borla Stinger muffler system.
I have ARH LT`s X pipe no cats & T I `s & tune & It sounds great.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Z06 Pack
Racer

I have B&B Bullets now, but if/when I do LG LT's I'm going to put the Ti back on.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

No problem. Another great guy in the Houston area is Chris (STANGKILLER). He is very helpful and would probably even lend a hand if you decide to do this on your own.

Micah
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
silvermusclez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OneBadvATE
XSPower Headers w/ X-pipe

I just picked up a set of these and the quality is excellent. The best part is the price $899 shipped for headers and the x-pipe WITH cats! You can of course opt for no cats and save $150. Just thought I would put this out there...

Have you installed the system yet?

If so, how does it sound? Are you running it thru your Ti's?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
OneBadvATE
Advanced

Have you installed the system yet?

If so, how does it sound? Are you running it thru your Ti's?
I just installed them this past Saturday. Install went quite smooth considering it was my first ever header install. I am running the setup through my stock Ti's but I haven't heard them yet as I am waiting to have my ECU returned from ECS for my mail order tune. Should be here by mid week and I will be making a vid so others can get an idea of how it sounds through the stock system.

Rob

Last edited by OneBadvATE; 07-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
socci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I have been trying to make moves on buying a B&B Bullet system for my Z, but now you guys have me thinking I should get the headers and X pipe first. I read somwhere that the C5Z TI exhaust goes from 3 inchs then shrinks to 2.5 towards the mufflers, is that true? Also I read the B&B Bullet system is the same weight as the TI exhaust, but I could be wrong. The bullets sound so good, I guess I have to find a clip of the stock TI with heads and a x pipe.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by 81c3
Long tube headers and an X pipe through the ti mufflers sound killer. I just realized that you might be talking about the cat back system. Dont waste your time or money. Youll likely be adding weight and get very little change other than a drone.
Originally Posted by danziger
I wouldn't waste time with just a cat-back. As 81c3 said, do LTs, X-pipe and keep the Ti mufflers. Sounds exotic and nasty with a cam installed...
My last two cars (both coupes) I got Corsa cat-backs as my first mod. With my current ('02 Z), I went the header route and have no plans for different cat backs. I plan eventually to do a cam or H/C and have several friends running that set-up with headers through the Ti exhaust and it sounds perfect.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by socci
Damn I have been trying to make moves on buying a B&B Bullet system for my Z, but now you guys have me thinking I should get the headers and X pipe first. I read somwhere that the C5Z TI exhaust goes from 3 inchs then shrinks to 2.5 towards the mufflers, is that true? Also I read the B&B Bullet system is the same weight as the TI exhaust, but I could be wrong. The bullets sound so good, I guess I have to find a clip of the stock TI with heads and a x pipe.
I have found that its much better to hear it in person, both inside and outside of the car. Find a forum member near by and ask to meet up and go for a ride. Sound clips really don't do any of the systems justice. Some cat-backs exhibit drone and you'll want to hear it in person before deciding - some can live with it, some can't (I couldn't).

...and thanks for your service.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM
GM Fan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched from the stock Ti's over to the XSPower catback, which is $639 shipped still I believe: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...available.html I have a couple sounds clips on page 5 of that thread but my camera was so crappy recording audio they're not too useful.

Big improvement in sound IMO, car sounds like an absolute beast now. But it doesn't drone you out on the highway like some others supposedly do. Wasn't really interested in doing headers. If/when I do I've kept the Ti's so I can swap back if I decide this is too loud at that point, etc.

Last edited by GM Fan; 07-19-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by WarpedZ06
I still don't understand or don't appreciate why one adds a heavier exhaust set up to the mix. LT headers, x pipe and TI exhaust sounds killer.

Adding weight just for decibels or fancy tips............I just don't get. To each their own, I guess.
Glad to see that great minds think alike.

To the OP: Seriously, exhaust note is very subjective and you have to go with what makes you happy. Listen to different set-ups if you can and then weigh the cost, weight, sound, drone, etc...

I like the Ti exhaust with LTs, but I can see why some people would think it too quiet or high-pitched.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Mastersorbet
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
I agree that LT's and an X-pipe with the Ti exhaust sounds great. Add a cam and the bypass mod, and it sounds like heaven. Here's a clip of my Z with this setup (startup and idling):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26dAL2XZpL0
I know this is an old post but...

I think your car sounds and looks great. I was wondering if there is any performance gain from the bypass on the Ti mufflers. I recently bought a C5 with LS6 intake, very agressive cam (around .600" lift) 1.75" header, no cats, X pipes, Ti Z06 mufflers and bypas done to the muffler. The guy who sold it to me gave a dino sheet proving 395RWHP and 387TQ. To my taste is was too loud so i undid (reversible) the bypass modification and it still sounds good, yet quieter. I didn't notice loss of power, in fact i feel like i gained some torqe in the low end by un-doing the mod. Did you noticed any power change on your Z?

Last edited by Mastersorbet; 05-25-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:54 PM
RW Foster
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanMounce
I went with a catback B&B bullets because it was alot cheaper than LT's and an X-pipe, and I didn't want any extra performance, only a better sound.

I am happy with my sound.
My 2004 Z06 already had B&B bullets installed. I like the sound well enough, but am wondering if LT's and an x-pipe and a tune will buy me some additional performance? And does one also removed the cat with this setup?
Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 AM
D'04vette
Heel & Toe

I currently have a 2004 coupe with B&B Bullet catback. I am looking to do ARH LT headers with X-pipe and cats. Would you all recommend going with 1 7/8" or 2" headers?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to upgrade my C5 Z06 Exhaust.. any recommendations??

Old 08-31-2017, 12:16 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are in the 400 crank horsepower range, then 1 3/4 headers are plenty all the way up to 500 crank hp. 500-600 hp, then 1 7/8. Once you get over 625 or so MAYBE 2" headers are in order, but you will have a heck of a time with clearance and heat issues on all kinds of stuff.

I'm around 620hp with 1 7/8 and redoing oil lines around the headers has been a nightmare!

Header sizing is just my .02. The pita part...no joke.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Forums post of cold starts
Old 07-14-2018, 02:28 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

OP, check out my custom exhaust build, sound comparisons of BB's and modded Ti's, etc. Kick back, grab a tea and watch a vid...why read...lol?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Looking to upgrade my C5 Z06 Exhaust.. any recommendations??